Biography - John Barton
JOHN H. BARTON, editor of the Herald of Carbondale, and one of the prominent citizens of the community, was born in West Carlisle, Ohio, January 2, 1837. His parents, Henry and Charlotte (Harris) Barton, were also natives of the Buckeye State, the former born in 1809, and the latter in 1813. The mother was a daughter of Lazarus Harris, one of the early settlers of Ohio. Her entire life was spent in that state, and her death there occurred in 1857. Mr. Barton early in the late war enlisted in the Light Artillery of West Virginia, and was wounded at the battle of Cross Keys, Va. After his recovery he did hospital service in Washington, D. C, until discharged on account of disability resulting from his wound. He then continued his residence in the Capitol City until called to the home beyond, in 1890. In the Barton family were ten children, of whom four are yet living, namely: John H.; David L., of Mercer, Pa.; Vina, of Colorado Springs, Colo.; and Mrs. Flora Nelson, of Urichsville, Ohio.
Our subject acquired his education in West Bedford, Ohio, and at the age of fourteen years began learning the printer's trade under Joseph Medill, on the Coshocton Republican, in 1851. He worked at the case for some time and became thoroughly familiar with the business. He was thus employed until October, 1860, when he removed to Cairo, Ill. During the war he entered the service of his country, and for two years faithfully defended the Old Flag and the cause it represented. He held the rank of First Lieutenant of Company I, Eighteenth Illinois Infantry.
It was in September, 18G6, that Mr. Barton arrived in Carbondale, where he has since made his home. He purchased the paper called the New Era and continued its publication until 1872, when he retired for a season. In 1868 he purchased the Free Press, which he sold in 1892. He is now at the head of the Herald, which is a bright, newsy sheet, ably conducted and edited. It is devoted to the local interests of the community and to the general advancement of civilization and education.
The entire Barton family has supported the Republican party, and its members have ever been faithful to their country. In the late war, the father of our subject and five of his sons were in the service at one time. The eldest son, Lafayette, was killed at the battle of Shiloh; Alonzo D. died from the effects of a wound received at Mills Springs, Ky.; Lewis W. died from disease at Tuscumbia, Ala., and John H. and David L. are yet living.
September 10, 1863, Mr. Barton was united in marriage with Miss Joanna Meagher, who was born in Ypsilanti, Mich., in June, 1838. She was educated in Cleveland, Ohio, and is a lady of culture and refinement. Six children grace their union: David L., John L., E. E., Flora L., Josie May and Dick S. Mr. Barton is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife belongs to the Catholic Church. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and has served as Master of the blue lodge and as High Priest of the chapter. He has also served as Commander of John W. Lawrence Post No. 297, G. A. R. He has frequently been sent as a delegate to the state conventions of his party, but has never been an office-seeker, preferring to devote his entire time and attention to his business interests.
Extracted from Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois, published in 1894, page 350.