Biography - Louis Gregson

LOUIS GREGSON devotes his time and attention to agricultural pursuits on section 21, township 3, range 8 west, Monroe County, where he has under his control four hundred and forty acres of good land. He is a son of James Gregson, a native of England, who when a boy came to this country with his father, John Gregson, who settled on Round Prairie, in Monroe County. Here he entered land from the Government, and upon the farm which he there developed made his home until his death.
James Gregson was reared under the parental roof, and when he attained to man's estate, purchased a farm adjoining the old place. He was married in 1818 to Philipena Lower. Her father was a native of Germany, and upon coming to this country, settled on Round Prairie in an early day. In the family were four sons, namely: Philip, Henry, Conrad and Peter. Mr. and Mrs. Gregson located on section 30, township 3, where he owned one hundred and sixty acres of land, besides his eighty acres on Round Prairie and forty acres on the creek. There he followed farming until a short time before his death, when he removed to Red Bud. By his first marriage he had three children, who are yet living: Louis, of this sketch; John, of Red Bud; and Peter, who is living on the old homestead. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Gregson wedded Mrs. Mary Lower, and they had three children: James M., a conductor on a street car in St. Louis; William H., who is living in Jackson County, Ill.; and Emily, the wife of Hugh Murphy, County Assessor of Monroe County. The father of this family was an honored pioneer of this section, and was a man highly respected for his sterling worth.
On the home farm, November 5, 1840, occurred the birth of Louis Gregson. He is now probably the oldest native settler of the township. He was reared under the parental roof in the usual manner of farmer lads, and after arriving at years of maturity he was married, in February, 1866, to Miss Elizabeth McQuillan, daughter of John McQuillan, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. She was born in St. Louis, but her girlhood days were spent in this county. The young couple began their domestic life upon the farm which is now their home. They became the parents of five children, and the family circle yet remains unbroken by the hand of death. Edward L., the eldest, is now a farmer of this community; Albert J. aids in the operation of the home farm; Louis J. is teaching school on Round Prairie; Guy Joseph and Martha Mary are still with their parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Gregson own four hundred and forty acres of valuable land, and he devotes his time and attention to general farming and stock-raising. He makes a specialty of the breeding of fine Norman horses. In polities he is a supporter of the Democracy, and has served as Highway Commissioner, Supervisor and School Director. In these various positions he has ever discharged his duties with a promptness and fidelity that have won him high commendation. He and his family are all members of the Catholic Church, and are prominent people of this community, holding an enviable position in social circles.

Extracted from Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois, published in 1894, page 302.

Templates in Time