Biography - William Hubbard

WILLIAM H. HUBBARD, the able editor of the Free Press of Carbondale, is a native of the Empire State, and his birth occurred in Castile, on the 29th of June, 1849. His father, William H. Hubbard, was born in New York in 1821, and is a son of Pliny and Charity (Brooks) Hubbard, the former born in Vermont, and the latter in the Empire State. He was a solder in the War of 1812. The Hubbard family was founded in America by three brothers of English birth, who in early Colonial days braved the dangers of an ocean voyage to found homes in the New World. One settled in Connecticut, another in Massachusetts, and the third in Vermont. Nearly all of the Hubbards in America are descendants of these three brothers.
The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Evelyn P. Wells. She was born in New York in 1825, and was a daughter of Walter and Abigail (Chapin) Wells. Her father served in the War of 1812, and drew a pension until his death. Mr. and Mrs. William H. Hubbard, Sr., located near Canandaigua, N. Y., and made their home in the Empire State until 1875, when they emigrated to Michigan, locating at Ferry, where the father carried on merchandising and fanning. He was practically the owner of that town. About 1880 he went to Chicago, afterward resided in Texas, and later took up his residence in Kansas City, Mo., but he is now once more actively engaged in business in Chicago as President of the Rutland Fire Insurance Company, although he makes his home in Kansas City. In his family were five children: Foster W., William H., Charles P., Frank L., and Nellie L., the wife of F. M. Hosmer.
Mr. Hubbard whose name heads this sketch began his education in the schools of Phelps, N. Y., and completed it in Syr.acuse in 1867. He then began reading law in that city and was admitted to the Bar. Opening an office, he engaged in practice in Syracuse until 1875, which year witnessed his removal to Hart, Mich, where he followed his profession until 1879. During that time he served as Prosecuting Attorney of the county. In 1879 he again went to Syracuse, where he continued in practice until 1888, when he returned to Michigan and bought the St. Joseph County (Mich.) Republican, which paper he published until 1890. In that year he moved the plant to Carbondale, and established the Jackson County Republican. The paper is now known as the Republican Free Press. When a boy, Mr. Hubbard had learned the printer's trade, and his practical knowledge of the business now serves him in good stead.
Our subject was married in Geneva, N. Y., in 1867, to Mary I. Ide, a native of the Empire State, who was born in February, 1849, and is a daughter of Darius and Mary (Colburn) Ide, also of New York. Mrs. Hubbard died in 1887, leaving two children, M. Evelyn and Charles W. In 1888 Mr. Hubbard wedded Ida Britton, who was born in Syracuse, N. Y., in 1852, and is a daughter of Mathias and Frances S. (Hibbard) Britton. Her father was a prominent militia officer in New York. Our subject and his wife have a daughter, Mildred B. The parents are both prominent members of the Presbyterian Church and take an active part in its work. Mr. Hubbard is now teaching a class of young ladies in the Sunday-school, while his wife is in charge of the infant class. Socially, he is a member of the Masonic lodge of Cayuga, N. Y., of which he has been Senior Deacon; he belongs to Oceana Chapter No. 56, R. A. M., of Pentwater, Mich; and Central City Commandery No. 25 of Syracuse, N. Y. He takes a very active part in politics, and always supports the men and measures of the Republican party.

Extracted from Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois, published in 1894, page 362.

Templates in Time