Biography - O Dean
O. A. DEAN, M. D. who is successfully engaged in the practice of medicine in Campbell Hill, is a native of Chester, Ill. He was born June 22, 1854, and is a son of Robert W. and Sarah E. (Hanna) Dean. His father was a native of Kentucky, and his mother belonged to one of the pioneer families of Randolph County. For many years they resided in Chester, but are now residents of Perry County, Ill. In their family were seven children, of whom six sons are yet living.
The Doctor acquired his early education in the common schools, and it was supplemented by study in the select schools of Carbondale and Du Quoin. He was reared upon a farm and afterward engaged in teaching school in Randolph, Perry, Monroe and Jackson Counties. He was quite successful in that undertaking, but at length turned his attention to the drug business, and was employed as a clerk in a drug store for five years. On the expiration of that period, in 1884, he bought a drug store in Campbell Hill. He formed a partnership with James Hanna, and has since conducted the business with good success, the firm now enjoying a liberal patronage.
Dr. Dean began reading at the age of twenty-four years and pursued his studies quietly during his leisure hours for some time. In order to fit himself for the profession, he then entered the medical college of Beaumont, and later became a student in the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis, from which he was graduated in the Class of '88. He at once opened an office in Campbell Hill, and from the beginning his practice has constantly increased, until he now has all of the practice at this place.
In 1877, Dr. Dean was united in marrige with Mrs. Mary A. Wayland, a native of Illinois. She died on the 1st of April, 1883, leaving three children, Grace, Clara and Mary. In 1887, the Doctor was again married, his second union being with Mary L. Redfield, a native of Jackson County, born March 8, 1856. They have one child, a daughter, Pearl Ione. The mother is a member of the Free Will Baptist Church and is a most estimable lady.
The Doctor takes a very active interest in temperance work, and is a member of the Good Templars society, in which he has served as Worthy Chief. He also belonged to the Masonic Fraternity. He takes an active interest in all that pertains to the welfare of the community, and does all in his power to advance public welfare. He has been a member of the County Medical Association and the Southern Illinois Medical Association, and among his brethren of the fraternity he holds an enviable position, while in the community where he lives his skill and ability have won for him a most excellent practice.
Extracted from Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois, published in 1894, page 212.