JOHN D. DILL. Exhibiting in everything he undertakes the all-conquering
enterprise, tireless energy and sturdy self-reliance of Illinois manhood,
which has made the great Prairie state one of the leading commonwealths of
the American Union, built its mighty metropolis and other imposing marts of
industry and commerce, and developed all its enormous resources to their
present magnitude and power, John D. Dill, of Carbondale, has achieved a
success so far in life which is gratifying in its character and extent, but
is only the logical result of his well applied diligence and business
Mr. Dill is a native of this state, born in Pope county on September 30, 1878, and a son of Andrew B. and Miranda C. (Hughes) Dill, long residents and highly respected citizens of that county. The father is a carpenter and builder, always interested in public improvements and the growth and improvement of the region around him, and contributing his full share in promoting its advancement. The son inherited this trait of his character, and he, too, has taken a great interest and an active part in helping to strengthen, improve and make more influential every community in which he has lived since arriving at man's estate.
John D. Dill began his education in the public schools of Johnson county and completed it at the high school in Vienna in the same county. Soon after leaving school he went to Sikeston in southeastern Missouri, and there clerked for some time in a general store. He entered the employ of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company at Sikeston in May, 1905, and eight months later was promoted to an assisting superintendency. After serving in that capacity two years he was promoted to the superintendency and placed in charge of the Carbondale district, in 1908, which includes about thirty-five towns and five branch offices, and has thirty-one men regularly employed, all under the direct control and supervision of Mr. Dill. He has been a resident of Carbondale since February, 1908, and has made rapid progress in gaining the confidence and esteem of the people of the city and attaining a high rank in its business circles. He is also a director of the Citizens Water, Light and Power Company.
On January 7, 1901, he was joined in wedlock with Miss Martha J. Carter, a native of Vienna, Illinois, and a daughter of William H. and Cornelia J. (Verhines) Carter, former residents of that city but now living in Sikeston, Missouri, where the father is prosperously engaged in merchandising. For a number of years before entering mercantile life he was a vigorous and successful farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Dill have one child of their own, their son, John McMullin, and an adopted daughter, whose name is Bessie M., both of whom are attending school in Carbondale.
The parents belong to the Methodist Episcopal church and are active in every phase of its evangelizing and improving work. The father is a member of the official board of his congregation and president of the Epworth League attached to it. He is also president of the Mt. Vernon District Epworth League, of which the Carbondale organization is a part. He takes a great interest in all that concerns the League, and is a regular attendant of all its meetings, local, state and national. In fraternal relations he is a Freemason and an Odd Fellow. In the Order of Odd Fellows he is a past vice grand, and has served as treasurer and trustee of his lodge. He was particularly active in this fraternity while living in Sikeston, Missouri, but he has by no means neglected its claims or those of the Masonic order during his residence in Carbondale, and his membership in both is warmly appreciated.
Extracted from 1912 A History of Southern Illinois, volume 2, pages 607-608.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time