EDWARD R. NEILL, Ph. G., is the owner of the Neill Block, of
Murphysboro, and the fine drug store therein, an establishment which would
be an ornament to a city of greater size than the thriving one in which it
is located. Mr. Neill was born in Rushville, Schuyler County, Ill., May 24,
1870, and is a son of John and Lyde (Jones) Neill. The grandfather, Charles
Neill, of Scotch descent, was one of the early settlers of this state, and
served as Sheriff and County Clerk of Schuyler County. His wife is still
The father of our subject was born and reared in Schuyler County, where he still makes his home. In former years he was a wholesale dealer in broom corn. For eight years he served .as Sheriff of his native county, and has been Deputy Sheriff for twelve years, which position he still fills. He is a highly respected citizen, widely known. In politics he is a Democrat, and in religious belief he is a Methodist. Edward R. is their only child. He was reared in Rushville and was educated in the high school and the Rushville Normal and Business College, completing the course in that institution. During his boyhood he began clerking in a drug store, and in 1889 entered the pharmacy department of the Northwestern University of Evanston, from which he was graduated February 24, 1890, with the degree of Ph. G. When his college course was completed, he accepted a position as salesman with the firm of Buck & Raynor, of Chicago, and later became city buyer for that establishment, with which he continued until the 24th of December, 1892. He then gave notice to the firm that he expected to leave, and as he had been a valuable employe, it was with great reluctance that they saw him depart.
Mr. Neill was married on the 21st of January, 1891, to Miss Minnie M. Smith, a native of Cape Girardeau, Mo., and a daughter of C. C. and Mary E. Smith. She was educated in St. Louis, and is a lady of culture and refinement. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Neill has been born one son, Floyd S.
The death of Mr. Smith occurred in November, 1892, and our subject came to this place to help settle up his business. He then decided to locate here, and purchased the two lots at the corner of Walnut and Blanchard Streets in the spring of 1893, immediately beginning the erection of the fine block, 48x65 feet. It is two stories in height, with a basement, and Mr. Neill occupies the fine corner store, which is 25x65 feet. It is finished in quarter-sawed oak, and is furnished with fine show cases, combination counters, a handsome Arctic soda fountain, etc. The place is indeed complete in all its appointments, and the drugstore is the best equipped in the county. Mr. Neill is a competent pharmacist, and although he has been in business here but a few months, he is already securing from the public a liberal patronage.
In his political views Mr. Neill is a Democrat, but has never been an office seeker. He belongs to the State Pharmaceutical Association, is Prelate of the Knights of Pythias lodge, and Master of Finance of the K. M. K. C. His wife holds membership with the Lutheran Church.
Extracted 28 Aug 2019 by Norma Hass from 1894 Biographical Review of Jackson, Massac, Pope, and Hardin Counties, Illinois, pages 581-582.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time