EZRA B. PELLETT. One of Murphysboro's old and honored citizens, who has
been connected with this city's business interests for nearly a half a
century, during which time he has established an enviable reputation as a
man of integrity and probity, is Ezra B. Pellett, a veteran of the Civil war
and a man who well merits the esteem and confidence in which he is held by
the citizens of his community. Mr. Pellett was born June 7, 1839, in Pike
county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Calvin and Eunice Pellett, the former
of whom was for many years connected with the agricultural and lumber
interests of the Keystone state.
Mr. Pellett received a public school education, and was reared to the life of an agriculturist, following farming until he was twenty-two years of age. He then became a clerk in a general store in his native state, but in 1865 came to Murphysboro to assist in surveying land for the Mount Carbon Coal and Railway Company, helping in the whole survey to Grand Tower. On completing this enterprise he established himself in the merchandise business at Murphysboro, July 1, 1865, continuing in the same until 1882. In 1865 he was appointed postmaster, without solicitation upon his part, the salary connected with this office at that time being fourteen dollars per month. He served very efficiently in that capacity for eight years and five months, and then became part owner of a mine at DeSoto, but in 1900, after it had been partially destroyed by fire, he disposed of his interests and went to Thebes, Illinois, to assist his son, William S. Pellett, who was engaged in the drug business there. William S. Pellett was born in Murphysboro, August 19, 1866, and received his education in the public schools, after leaving which he became a clerk in a drug store and later purchased an establishment of his own. In 1892 he located at Thebes, where he accumulated quite a property, and served as trustee of the village of Thebes and as city clerk and assistant coroner of Alexander county, and he died in that village September 27, 1906. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias and was connected religiously with the Presbyterian church. His father is now engaged in settling up the affairs of his estate.
On May 24, 1864, Ezra B. Pellett was united in marriage with Miss Mary A. Lord, who was born in Honesdale, Wayne county, Pennsylvania, daughter of Solomon Z. Lord, who was connected with the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company as collector for fifty-five years. Mr. and Mrs. Pellett now have two children living: Sarah, who married Henry Trobaugh, a farmer of Jackson county, and now lives at Pontiac, Illinois, and Albert Lord, a machinist with the M. & 0. Railroad, located at Murphysboro, who married Pearl Batson, of Carbondale, and has two children, Edwin and Russell.
Mr. Pellett is a stanch Republican in political matters, and has served as alderman of Murphysboro for three terms. Fraternally he is connected with the Masonic order, being past high priest of Royal Arch Chapter, No. 164, and past master and secretary of his lodge. He is well known in religious circles, and serves as trustee and treasurer of the First Presbyterian church. In August, 1862, Mr. Pellett enlisted for service in the Union army, as a member of Company I, Twenty-fourth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was with that regiment until it was mustered out of the service, participating in numerous battles, among which were Antietam and South Mountain. He had an excellent war record, and his record as a citizen has been equally high. His long business career in this city is without a blemish, and his children may be proud of the good name he has established and handed down to them.
Extracted 15 Jan 2018 by Norma Hass from 1912 A History of Southern Illinois, volume 2, pages 794-795.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time