L. WILLIAM PELZER, one of the young business men of Murphysboro, who is
numbered among its valued citizens on account of his thrift and enterprise,
carries on a general mercantile establishment as a member of the firm of
Wisely & Pelzer. They have a full line of dry goods, groceries, and in fact
everything found in a first-class general store. They are located at No. 32
East Walnut Street, and their customers are many, for by fair and honest
dealing and courteous treatment they have secured a liberal patronage.
The junior member of the firm was born in Du Quoin, Ill., February 1, 1869, and his father, Louis Pelzer, was born near Red Bud, Randolph County. The grandfather, Louis Pelzer, Sr., was a native of Baden, Germany, who emigrated to America, and for half a century lived on a farm in Randolph County. In early life the father of our subject followed agricultural pursuits, and in 1870 embarked in the livery business in Murphysboro. Subsequently he carried on a meat market at this place, but of late years has again resumed farming, which he now successfully carries on in Murphysboro Township. He was united in marriage with Catherine Parrott, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Peter Parrott, one of the pioneer settlers of Randolph County, Ill., where the daughter grew to womanhood.
L. W. Pelzer is the eldest in a family of eight children, seven sons and one daughter, of whom six are yet living. Under the parental roof the days of his boyhood and youth were passed, and after attending the common schools he became a student in the high school, thus acquiring a good practical English education. He entered upon his mercantile career in 1882, as a clerk in the store of W. E. Chambers, where he was employed for three years, working during the morning and evening, while through the day he gave his time to his lessons. He afterward spent one year with W. M. Rothrock, and later served as Assistant Postmaster for one year under Judge G. W. Andrews. On leaving the post office, he became a salesman in the store of John W. Hawk, a general merchant of this place, with whom he continued until 1892. He may truly be called a self-made man, and his success in life is the just reward of his own labors. He votes with the Republican party and is a supporter of the Lutheran Church, with which he holds membership.
Extracted 26 Mar 2020 by Norma Hass from 1894 Biographical Review of Jackson, Massac, Pope, and Hardin Counties, Illinois, pages 636-641.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time