Biography - T Robinson
T. T. ROBINSON, who devotes his time and attention to agricultural pursuits and makes his home on his good farm on section 33, Pomona Township, Jackson County, was born on the old homestead February 28, 1835. His parents were Urbane E. and Penelope (Bradshaw) Robinson, and were born in 1805, in Kentucky and Tennessee, respectively. In 1809 Mr. Robinson came with his parents to Illinois, locating at Big Hill, near where the town of Grand Tower now stands. They are among the first settlers of this region, and Indians were still numerous in the neighborhood, while bears and other wild animals were frequently seen. The Bradshaw family also came to Jackson County about the same time as the Robinsons. The parents of our subject were married in Jackson County, and sixty-three years ago settled on section 28, Pomona Township, upon a tract of wild land, from which Mr. Robinson developed a fine farm. The last years of his life were spent in retirement in Murphysboro, where his death occurred in 1888. His wife passed away in 1865. In early life they were Methodists, but afterward joined the Baptist Church. He took an active part in public affairs and did much toward the upbuilding of the county. Prior to the war he was a Democrat, but on the organization of the Republican party joined its ranks. He served as Justice of the Peace and County Commissioner, and was defeated in the race for County Treasurer. He raised a company for the Civil War, but it was never mustered in. His son John Wesley, now deceased, served in the Mexican War, and two sons were in the late war. The family numbered eight children, but only three are now living: Franklin T., of Pomona Township, Jackson County; T. T., of this sketch; and Mrs. Margaret J. Gregory, of East St. Louis.
No event of special importance occurred during the childhood of our subject, which was quietly passed on the old home farm, where he remained until twenty-one years of age. He then engaged in milling for a time, and later settled upon a tract of wild land, which he began to cultivate and improve, transforming it into rich and fertile fields. He has added to it from time to time, until he now owns five hundred acres, the greater part of which is well developed.
In 1859 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Robinson and Mary A. Gregory, who was born in Jackson County in June, 1840, and is a daughter of Isaac and Christina Gregory, who came from North Carolina to southern Illinois in an early day. They have two children: Clementine, who is now the wife of Henry Stewart, of Colorado, and has three children, and Daisy, at home.
Mr. Robinson manifested his loyalty to the Government during the late war by enlisting, August 11, 1862, in Company B, One Hundred and Ninth Illinois Infantry. He was commissioned Second Lieutenant, went to Columbus, Ky., thence to Boliver, Tenn., and served throughout the Vicksburg campaign. He was in command of his company in 1863, when the regiment was consolidated with the Eleventh Illinois Infantry and he returned home. He now belongs to the Grand Army post and to Makanda Lodge No. 44, A. F. & A. M. In religious belief he and his wife are Baptists, and he is now serving as Clerk of the church, also as Trustee. For fourteen years he was a member of the Board of Home Missions, and was Trustee of the Pecle Fund. He has served as Superintendent, and his wife has been a teacher in the Sunday-school. He takes quite an active part in politics, is a stalwart advocate of the Democracy, and has frequently been a delegate to the conventions of his party. He has served as Justice of the Peace and is Chairman of the present Board of County Supervisors. He was a member of one of the first boards of the county. In 1879 he was elected to the Thirty-first General Assembly and served on the committees on roads and bridges, public buildings and charitable institutions. In 1888 he was nominated for Congress, but was defeated. His fellow-townsmen have manifested their confidence in him by frequently calling him to office, and in the various positions he has filled he has ever been found faithful and true. He was a valiant soldier, an efficient officer, a progressive citizen, and well deserves representation in the history of his native county.
Extracted 22 Sep 2016 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois, published in 1894, pages 460-461.