JOHN B. ROSSON, M. D., a practicing physician of Ava, was born November
30, 1849, in Marshall County, Tenn., and is a son of Osborn Rosson, who was
born in North Carolina September 23, 1813. The grandfather was Joseph
Rosson, and his father was an officer of the Revolution, who served on the
staff of General Washington and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis,
at Yorktown. He was a prominent man and a well known physician, who
graduated from .Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia. He was of Scotch
and French lineage. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of
Rebecca Patton, and was born in Tennessee in 1823. Her father, John Patton,
was a native of North Carolina, of Scotch and German descent, and served as
a soldier in the war in Florida. The parents of our subject were married in
Tennessee in 1839, and removing to the western part of the state, located
near Union City, where Mr. Rosson developed a farm. Upon that place he made
his home until 1866, when he came with his family to Jackson County, Ill.,
locating in Vergennes Township. He is now a resident of Pomona. During his
residence in the south he was a Douglas Democrat and never feared to express
his views. During the war he was a strong advocate of the Union. Mrs. Rosson
died December 27, 1875. She was a cousin of General Forrest, and they were
reared as brother and sister.
In the Rosson family were five children: The Doctor; Jennie, wife of Dr. O. L. Mahoney, of Phoenix, Ariz.; William T., who lives with his father; James A., who is married and makes his home in Carbondale; and Theodore W., a druggist of Pomona. Dr. Rosson was reared on a farm and acquired his education in Newburn College, of Tennessee. He then embarked in leaching, which profession he followed for five years. During that time he spent his leisure hours in studying medicine, and later attended lectures at the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, from which he was graduated on the 1st of March, 1872. He began practice in Jackson County and has since continued the prosecution of his profession.
On the 26th of March, 1876, was celebrated the marriage of Dr. Rosson and Miss Louise Perry. They had four children: Charles Tilden, Dora L., Rebecca Maud and Jennie Forrest. On the 2d of June, 1889, the Doctor wedded Miss Phoebe A., daughter of Rev. Joseph B. and Angeline (Mayfield) Davis, who were natives of Kentucky, and became pioneer settlers of Jackson County. The father was one of the early Methodist ministers of this region. Mrs. Rosson was born in De Soto Township August 31, 1865, and is a highly educated lady, a graduate of Simpson College of Indianola, Iowa. She is County President of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union and is prominent in benevolent and temperance work. She also belongs to the Presbyterian Church. By her marriage she has one son, Ray Wright.
The Doctor holds membership with the Odd Fellows' society and the Knights of Pythias, also with the Independent Order of Good Templars. In 1889 he removed to Ava, and is now serving as a member of its Board of Health. He has also been a member of the School Board. In his political views he is an ardent advocate of the Democracy. He belongs to the Southern Illinois Medical Association, has been its Secretary two years, and is its stenographer. For six years he has been connected with the American Medical Association. He has written many able articles for medical journals and has won a prominence in his profession that is certainly enviable, having performed many successful surgical operations, which are to-day living monuments of his skill.
Extracted 26 Mar 2020 by Norma Hass from 1894 Biographical Review of Jackson, Massac, Pope, and Hardin Counties, Illinois, pages 616-619.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time