EDWARD SCHWARTZ, a successful farmer and stock-raiser residing in Elkville, is a son of Edward and Sarah (Pyle) Schwartz. His father was numbered among the early settlers of southern Illinois, locating in the state in 1818, the year of its admission to the Union. In 1827 he removed to Jackson County and entered land from the Government at $1.25 per acre. Two years previous he had married Sarah, daughter of John Pyle, who settled near Carbondale in 1803, and subsequently located east of Du Quoin. Indians were still in the neighborhood and were quite troublesome, but eventually they retreated before the advancing steps of the white man.
Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Schwartz, Isabel, Eliza, Josiah, Hiram, Elizabeth, William (deceased), Edward and Horatio. The subject of this record was born on section 20, Elkville Township, near his present farm, April 10, 1828. From his boyhood he was noted for his industry and enterprise, and the raw prairie soon became productive and fertile under his skillful care. He gradually became the possessor of considerable valuable property as the result of his earnest efforts.
On the 30th of August, 1860, Mr. Schwartz was united in marriage with Miss Emeline, daughter of Eli and Rebecca Renno. Nine children were born to them, seven of whom are yet living. Ella A., born July 20, 1861, was married in 1887 to William Lemming, a carpenter of Elkville, and they have three children, Addie, John E. and Albert. Mattie A., born April 27, 1863, was married March 27, 1884, to W. D. Kimmel, the well known horseman, and they have had four children, Mercy, Lucy, Ned, and one deceased. Mary J., born September 24, 1868, became the wife of George Castleton, August 12, 1888, and they had four children, Charles (deceased), Clara, Christopher and Emma. Eva L., born December 9, 1870, became the wife of Everett Castleton November 10, 1892, and they have a son, Claude. Samuel M., born April 14, 1877; John W., who is a twin brother of Samuel; and Josiah E., born July 8, 1878, are the younger members of the family. Those deceased are William A., who was born September 19, 1864, and Edward H., born May 16, 1866.
Mr. Schwartz has frequently been solicited to become a candidate for public office, but has always steadily refused, unless it was for some minor position. He was commissioned by Richard Yates, the War Governor of Illinois, as Justice of the Peace November 29, 1864; he was elected Supervisor of Elkville Township in 1872, and was re-elected in 1874. For two years he also served as Town Treasurer, discharging his duties with rare fidelity and judgment.
In 1849 Mr. Schwartz, attracted by the discovery of gold, crossed the plains, and for a short time engaged in mining. He recalls many incidents of pioneer life, both amusing and interesting, for he has passed through all the experiences of the frontier, and knows its history well. In the early days of Jackson County he engaged in merchandising, but later turned his attention to farming, and in that business met with most excellent success. In March, 1892, the Horse and Mule Protective Association was organized in Elkville Township, and its officers are as follows: C. Castleton, Chairman; J. D. Hays, Secretary, and Edward Schwartz, Treasurer. The farm of our subject comprises four hundred and twenty acres of valuable land, and is considered one of the finest and best in the community. It stands as a monument to his thrift and enterprise, and is the just reward of his labors. Both Mr. and Mrs. Schwartz are consistent members of the Christian Church of Elkville, contribute liberally to its support, and are among its leading workers.
Extracted 22 Feb 2017 by Norma Hass from 1894 Biographical Review of Jackson, Massac, Pope, and Hardin Counties, Illinois, pages 519-520.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time