LAWRENCE M. SHANER, a wide-awake and enterprising young business man of
Murphysboro, is a member of the firm of Shaner & Lawbaugh, dealers in
hardware, queensware and tinware. He was born near Altenburg, Perry County,
Mo., March 16, 1871, and is a representative of one of the pioneer families
of that county, where his grandfather, Jacob S. Shaner, settled at an early
day. Tie probably removed thither from Kentucky, and there the remainder of
his life was passed.
George Shaner, father of our subject, was born in Brazeau, Perry County, became an extensive stock-raiser, and was the first man to introduce fine blooded stock into that locality. He raised Shorthorn cattle, Berkshire hogs and Cotswold sheep, and was very successful in his undertakings. His farm comprised almost a section of land, and its richly cultivated fields indicated the thrift and enterprise of the owner. His business ability made him prosperous, and he became well known as a farmer and stock-raiser. He wedded Miss Rowena McCombs, a native of Jackson, Cape Girardeau County, Mo. Her father was one of the pioneer settlers of that county. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Shaner was born a family of six children, three sons and three daughters. The mother was called to her final rest in 1873, and the father was killed by a runaway team in 1883.
Our subject was the fifth in order of birth in their family. In the usual manner of farmer lads the days of his boyhood and youth were passed, and the district schools afforded him his educational privileges in early life. At the age of sixteen he left home and spent two years as a student in the Southeastern Missouri Normal School, at Cape Girardeau, after which he engaged in teaching one year. He then again entered the normal school, and on completing the course was graduated in the Class of '91, with the degree of B. S. D. On the expiration of that period, Mr. Shaner accepted the position of Principal of the public schools of St. Mary's, Mo., and during his two years' service there won many friends and the high commendation of the public.
In June, 1893, our subject arrived in Murphysboro, and in partnership with E. S. Lawbaugh, purchased the hardware stock formerly owned by Fager & Kirchner. They at once enlarged their facilities, and now carry a fine line of hardware, queensware, tinware, heating and cooking stoves, paints, oils, etc. Although they have been here but a short time, Murphysboro recognizes in the firm enterprising young men who will make good citizens, and from the public they are securing a fair trade, which no doubt will constantly increase.
Extracted 26 Mar 2020 by Norma Hass from 1894 Biographical Review of Jackson, Massac, Pope, and Hardin Counties, Illinois, pages 594-595.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time