A. R. SILVEY, M. D., is a practicing physician and surgeon of
Murphysboro, who is rapidly winning a prominent place in his profession. He
has the honor of being a native of Illinois, his birth having occurred near
Xenia, August 26, 1858. His father, G. W. Silvey, was born in Greene County,
Pa., and the grandfather, Fred Silvey was a native of Germany, but he became
a Pennsylvania farmer, and spent his last days in the Keystone State. The
father was reared as a farmer and cooper. In Pennsylvania he married
Melissa, daughter of Isaac Ross, a blacksmith, of that state, where she was
born and reared. With his family, G. W. Silvey emigrated to Wayne County,
Ill., where he worked at his trade of coopering and bought and improved a
farm, becoming a successful agriculturist. During the gold excitement he
went to Pike's Peak, and spent six years near Denver and Silver City. He
then returned to his farm, but of late years he has been living with his
children, as does his wife. They had eight children, seven of whom grew to
mature years, while six yet abide. Mr. Silvey is a Democrat in politics, and
in religious belief is a Baptist.
In the usual manner of farmer lads our subject was reared. He attended the common schools until eighteen years of age, when he entered Hamilton College at McLeansboro, Ill., there spending three terms. He then took up the study of law under Lewis Edwards, but did not find it to his taste, and so abandoned it. He next engaged in teaching school for two terms in Hamilton County, and in 1880 went to Texas, teaching school in San Antonio and Ennis. He traveled all over that state, and on the return trip hunted through northern Texas. In 1883, we again find him in Xenia, but the same year he removed to Pomona, Ill., where he purchased a shop and carried on blacksmithing and wagon-making for about two years through the summer months, while in the winter he taught school.
In the meantime the Doctor took up the study of medicine with A. M. Lee, M. D., and for several years practiced with his preceptor, and also carried on a drug store owned by Mr. Lee. In 1887, he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons in St. Louis, and was graduated in 1889, with the degree of M. D. He embarked in practice in Pomona, where he did a good business until the spring of 1892, the time of his removal to Murphysboro. He now has a fine city, country and office practice, for his skill and ability are recognized, and a liberal patronage now rewards him.
The Doctor holds membership with the Odd Fellows' lodge of Mt. Carbon, has filled the various chairs, and is also a member of the Forresters. He likewise belongs to the Southern Illinois Medical Association. Since twenty-two years of age he has been a member of the Baptist Church. He is a prominent worker in church and Sunday-school, and is now serving as Deacon. Turning from the public to the private life of the Doctor, we notice a household of four members. He was married April 14, 1887, in Pomona Township, to Miss Laura E., daughter of H. H. Etherton, a prominent farmer of Jackson County. The lady was born in the county, and was educated in Carbondale. Two living children grace their union, Ira G. and Verah M. Algia H., the second in order of birth, died at the age of about two years.
Extracted 01 Aug 2020 by Norma Hass from 1894 Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry, and Monroe Counties, Illinois, pages 666-667.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time