1912 History of Southern Illinois
Volume II

ISAAC K. LEVY. [Page 568]
The ability and sterling character of Isaac K. Levy have given him distinctive prestige as one of the representative members of the bar of his native city and county, and he is engaged in the active practice of law at Murphysboro, the judicial center of Jackson county. His popularity in his home community has been further shown by his having been called upon to serve in the office of state's attorney of Jackson county, in which office his administration has added materially to his professional reputation and proved of marked value to the county.

Isaac K. Levy was born at Murphysboro, on the 1st day of February, 1878, and is a son of Abraham and Pauline (Rittenburg) Levy, who have here maintained their home since 1875, the father having been for many years one of the representative merchants and highly esteemed citizens of this thriving little city. He whose name initiates this review is indebted to the public schools of his native city for his early education, which included the curriculum of the high school, and in preparing himself for his chosen profession he here studied law under effective private preceptorship. He continued a student in the office of one of the leading law firms of Murphysboro until he proved himself eligible for the bar, to which he was admitted in 1899. He has since given his attention to the practice of his profession in Murphysboro and his technical powers and his close application have combined with his personal popularity in enabling him to build up a substantial and representative practice, in connection with which he has been concerned in a number of specially important litigations. In 1908 he was elected state's attorney of Jackson county, and his incumbency of this office continued until 1912. His regime was marked by scrupulous and effective service in conserving the interests of the people of the county, and he showed equal facility in the handling of criminal and civil cases. He is a close student and never presents a cause before court or jury without careful preparation. He takes a lively interest in all that touches the welfare of his home city and county, and is known as a progressive and public-spirited citizen. He is a member of the directorate of the Citizens' State and Savings Bank, one of the staunch financial institutions of Southern Illinois. He is unswerving in his allegiance to the Republican party, in behalf of whose cause he has given effectual service, and he is affiliated with the local organizations of the Masonic fraternity, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. He and his wife are factors in the social activities of their home city.

On the 29th of June, 1902, Mr. Levy was united in marriage to Miss Lillian Hanks, who was born and reared in Jackson county and who is a daughter of James Hanks, one of the representative farmers of the county. Her paternal grandfather was one of the honored pioneers of this section of the state and served at one time as sheriff of Jackson county. Mr. and Mrs. Levy have two children,-Constance and Jessie Virginia.
JOHN FRANK ROBERTS [Page 586]
A native son of Southern Illinois who has resided in the city of Cairo and been identified with its commercial interests since 1905, John Frank Roberts, vice-president of the Denison-Gholson Dry Goods Company, is known as one of the leading business men of his section. He came to this city from Jackson county, Illinois, where he spent the incipient years of his career, but his birth occurred in Williamson county, January 9, 1869. Mr. Roberts' parents moved into Jackson county during his childhood, and the environment of the country home and the work of the farm was his while he passed his minority, and his education was started in the district schools and completed in Ewing College and O. M. Powers' Business College, Chicago.

James B. Roberts, the father of John Frank Roberts, was born in Tennessee, in 1842, and about 1844 came with his father, John A. Roberts, to Union county, Illinois, the latter being one of the founders of the community at Lick Creek, who died at that point. James B. Roberts was one of a family of thirteen children, of whom eleven grew to maturity, and he began life as a farmer with such preparation as the district school of the ante-bellum days afforded. For several years after his marriage he was a resident of Williamson county, where he was elected to public office and maintained himself honorably as a citizen and as a man. In political matters he was a Democrat, while his religious affiliations was with the Missionary Baptist church. He married Miss Caroline Rendleman, a daughter of John Rendleman and a granddaughter of Jacob Rendleman, who founded the family in Illinois by settling near Jonesboro, where he passed away at the age of seventy-eight years. Inquiry into his activities shows him to have been an extensive farmer and tanner, and to have died possessed of a modest fortune. Jacob's father was Dr. John Rendleman, who came from Germany and settled on the Yadkin river, in Stokes county, North Carolina, in 1757. He was a prominent surgeon, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania in the same class with Dr. Benjamin Rush, for whom Rush Medical College, Chicago, was named, and was a soldier of Washington's army, and one of those who crossed the Delaware on the stormy Christmas night to participate in the battle of Trenton.
James B. Roberts died at Anna, Illinois, in 1899, and his widow followed him to the grave during the next year, at the age of fifty-one. Their children were Charles W., a farmer near Makanda, Illinois; Edward, who is president and manager of a pharmaceutical business in St. Louis, Missouri; Stella M., the wife of George G. Patterson, an agriculturist near Makanda; and John Frank.

John Frank Roberts, who is the oldest of his parents' children, began his life seriously as a merchant at Cobden, Illinois, spending six years there in the retail business as a general merchant, and then removed to Makanda, where he carried on a more pretentious business and where his success was apparent and acknowledged. Desiring a wider field -for his attainments, he seized the opportunity to associate himself with the large wholesale dry goods houses of Cairo, and disposed of his Makanda interests. Purchasing a large interest in the Denison-Gholson Dry Goods Company, he was elected vice-president thereof and is one of the men of the firm. Wherever he has resided he has responded to the needs and demands of his community with moral and material aid, and his present connection adds a new factor in the civic improvement of greater Cairo.

On May 15, 1890, Mr. Roberts was married in Franklin county, Illinois, to Miss Effie Link, a daughter of Robert R. Link, one of the historic characters of Ewing College, and, in conjunction with Dr. Washburn, its founder. In 1869 Professor Link was graduated from Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tennessee, lived near Nashville prior to his coming to Illinois, was actively identified with the Prohibition movement in this state, and was frequently a candidate of that party, being honored with the nomination for governor of the state just prior to his death. He married Elizabeth J. Webb, daughter of a Baptist minister of the state of Tennessee, Rev. Elijah Webb, originally from the Rendleman region of North Carolina. Robert R. Link passed away in 1893, at the age of sixty years, having been the father of: Will C, a resident of Benton, Illinois; Aliee L., the wife of John Richeson, of St. Louis; Effie, who married Mr. Roberts; and Nancy, the wife of Robert F. Hall, of Ewing, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts have had two children; Rosalind, who was born July 8, 1891; and Roberta, whose birth occurred May 17, 1894.
ALBERT J. WILL [Page 587]
Of the many industries centered in and around Herrin that of the manufacture of soft drinks contributes in a small degree to the support of the army of labor and in a large degree to the pleasure of that same army. The father of this business in Herrin and its present head is Albert J. Will. He is a busy man of affairs, yet he has time from his daily work to represent his neighbors in the aldermanic counsel, and stands a ready champion of any progressive measure.

Mr. Will was born on the 14th of November, 1874, in Jackson county, Illinois. After receiving a thorough education in the district schools he turned to farming, which pursuit engaged him during his minority. This was the natural course for him to pursue, since his father, D. R. Will, of Ava, Illinois, born in Jackson county in 1847 and having spent his youth in the country, early became a farmer and has devoted his life to the cultivation of the soil and the improvement of his various crops. The father of this worthy man was Frank Will, who migrated to this section from Pennsylvania when the country was yet a wilderness. This sturdy old pioneer and his wife raised a large family of children, now scattered widely over the United States. The eldest of these, D. R., is the father of the manufacturer. The other children are Freeman, a farmer of Jackson county; Cordelia, who married Hardy Gill and has since died; Kate, who died as the wife of Thomas Holt; Emma, Mrs. Phillip Fager, now living in Murphysboro; the twins, Ervin and Ollie, the former residing in St. Louis, while the latter is the wife of Frank Friedline and lives in the state of Washington; Berdie is the widow of James Redd, and now makes her home at De Soto, Illinois; Jane married J. Childers and lives in Texas; Nora is Mrs. Jo Schroeder, living in Murphysboro; and Julia is the wife of Samuel Partington, of the same city. At the age of sixty-five the august founder of this family passed away, his home at the time being three miles north-east of Murphysboro.

D. R. Will married Miss Jeanette Elliot, and their children are: Ollie, the wife of Reuben Kinley, living in Los Angeles, California; Fred, who has remained near home as a farmer in Jackson county; Frank, living in Los Angeles with his sister; and Albert J. The latter was only a baby of two years when his mother died, but he was fortunate in that his father married for his second wife Josie Elliot, a cousin of his first wife. Three sons were born of this marriage, Homer, an engineer on the Mobile and Ohio, running out of Murphysboro; Howard, of Aurora; and Ross now living in Chicago.

Albert J. Will on attaining his majority gave up the quiet farm life and entered the manufacturing business at Murphysboro, Illinois, as a member of the Murphysboro Bottling Company. This business has proved a very lucrative one, and although he left Murphysboro in 1905 and established the Herrin Bottling Company, he still remains a member of the former concern. The growth of his business in Herrin, necessitated the erection of a concrete building for the housing of the factory, its capacity being two hundred cases per day.

Mr. Will takes a deep interest in politics and is now serving his third term as alderman from the First ward. He is in the forefront of a movement to establish a system of water works, thinking thereby to lessen disease as well as to make the lives of his fellow townsmen more comfortable. Also believing that the burden of town improvements should be partitioned justly, he has favored the special assessment policy for the laying of concrete walks.

The first wife of Albert J. Will was Sophia Sundmacher, whom he married in Murphysboro, Illinois, on the 1st of July, 1902. She only lived a few years, dying on August 17, 1906, and leaving a baby daughter, Jeanette J. Mr. Will married his second wife, Mary Steinle, on October 11, 1907. She was of German parentage, her father being John Steinle, of Minnesota. Christina, John Albert, and Ervin Ross are the children born of this union.

Mr. Will is by inheritance a member of the Republican party, and by choice gives it his warm interest and hearty support. In religious matters the family are Lutheran, and are prominent in the work of this church.

The courage to go ahead into untried fields, as was shown by his giving the comparatively sure success that would have been his had he stayed on the farm for the risk involved in starting a new business, has continued to evince itself in Mr. Will's dealings with men, for he will not swerve from his ideals of justice and fair dealing. It is this trait which has been one of the principal factors in placing him where he now stands, high in the respect of the community.
ADELBERT LE ROY SPILLER. [Page 592]
familiarly known as Roy Spiller, one of the prominent and Influential citizens and leading lawyers of Carbondale, has recently won special regard and high approval in the city by his able and successful advocacy of the commission form of government, which is now in force in the municipality, but he is entitled to and enjoys general public approval and esteem for many other reasons. He is a native of Jackson county, and has passed his life to this time (1911) almost wholly among its people. They are therefore familiar with his high character and upright living, his ability as a lawyer, his worth as a man and his usefulness as a citizen. They also know and appreciate all he has done for their welfare.

Mr. Spiller was born on his father's farm in this county, on February 2, 1873. He is a son of William G. and Elma (Bartholomew) Spiller, who are well known throughout the county and enjoy in a marked degree the regard and good will of its inhabitants. Their son Roy grew to manhood on the farm and performed his part of its useful but exacting labor, meanwhile attending the public school near his home to obtain his elementary scholastic education. This he-continued at the Southern Illinois Normal University, from which he was graduated in 1896, and completed at Dixon College, in the city of the same name in this state.

After leaving college he studied law and was admitted to the bar in May, 1900. He at once located in Carbondale and began the practice of his profession, devoting himself to it generally in all its developments, but making something of a specialty of chancery and testamentary law. During the last six years he has been mastery in chancery for Jackson county, and has made an excellent record as such by the extent and comprehensiveness of his knowledge and his absolute fairness and excellent judgment in applying it to the cases before him. He has also rendered the city excellent service as its official attorney.

Mr. Spiller has always manifested a warm and practical interest in the city and county of his home and here done everything in his power to promote their welfare. He is a great believer in purity in government, municipal, state and national, and his earnest desire to establish it in Carbondale as far as possible made him a strong and determined advocate of the commission form of municipal rule when it was an issue before the people, and energetic in all the preliminary work of rousing public sentiment in its behalf in the process of making it an issue.

He has also been useful in promoting the 'progress and improvement of the city and county in many other ways. No undertaking for the development or betterment of the community in any way has ever gone without his effective practical support since he reached man's Estate, and his aid has always been cheerfully given, intelligently guided and fruitful in good results, both in its own force and in the activity awakened in others by his influence and example.

On December 26, 1906, he was united in marriage with Miss Nettie Lenore, the daughter of Samuel and Mary Heiter, prosperous Stephenson county farmers living near Freeport, this state. Two children have been born to the union, Elma Lenore and Adelbert Le Roy. The father is prominent and enterprising in the fraternal life of the region as a member of the Order of Odd Fellows, the Order of Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. In politics he is a Republican, but has never been an active partisan-always a good and useful citizen.
REV. ANDREW J. RENDLEMAN [Page 598]
A successful and influential factor in connection with educational affairs in his native state and at the present time the incumbent of the office of superintendent of the public schools of Jackson county, Andrew Jackson Rendleman is a scion of one of the sterling pioneer families of Illinois and here, in addition to his specially effective work in the educational field, he has served with marked zeal and earnestness in the ministry of the Free Baptist church, in which he is a regularly ordained clergyman. He is one of the honored and popular citizens of Murphysboro, the judicial center and metropolis of Jackson county, and is well known throughout southern Illinois, where he has a wide circle of loyal and valued friends. The influence of Mr. Rendleman has been potent and benignant in all the relations of life, and his work has been in the furtherance of those things which make for the higher ideals of human existence.

Andrew J. Rendleman was born on a farm in Williamson county, Illinois, on the 3d of March, 1867, and is a son of Harris and Elizabeth (Knight) Rendleman, who continued to reside in this state until their death, the father having devoted virtually his entire active career to agricultural pursuits and having been a man whose inflexible integrity and generous attributes of character gained and retained to him the unqualified confidence and esteem of his fellow men. He whose name initiates this review passed his boyhood days amid the scenes and under the invigorating discipline of the home farm and his early educational advantages were those afforded in the district and graded schools of his native county. In preparing himself for the profession in which he has gained such distinctive prestige and success he attended the Southern Illinois Normal University, at Carbondale. Mr. Rendleman initiated his pedagogic labors when twenty years of age, and his first experience as a teacher was gained in the district schools of his native county, after which he continued his successful work in Perry and Jackson counties. He organized the graded school at Willisville, Perry county, of which he was the first principal, and later became principal of the schools at Campbell Hill. Thereafter he was principal of the East Side school in Murphysboro for four years; he next served as principal of the East Side school at DuQuoin, Perry county, after which he returned to Jackson county.

In the fall of 1910 Mr. Rendleman was elected to his present important office, in which his administration has amply justified the popular choice. In his election to the position of superintendent of schools for Jackson county he was the nominee on the Democratic ticket and overcame an adverse majority of fully one thousand votes,-a fact which offers emphatic testimony to his popularity in the county and the public appreciation of his scholastic and executive ability. Since assuming the duties of his office he has accomplished most admirable results in the systematizing and unifying of the work of the public schools in his jurisdiction, and has done much to raise their standard still higher. Mr. Rendleman is a valued member of the Southern Illinois Teachers' Association and also the Illinois State Teachers Association, in the deliberations and work of both of which he has taken a deep interest and active part. At the last (1911) state teachers' meeting he was appointed a member of a committee of five to draft a bill for state uniformity of text-books to be presented to the next legislature for enactment.

A man of fine intellectuality and perfervid earnestness as a worker in behalf of his fellow men, Mr. Rendleman has been a most zealous and valued factor in the ministry of the Free Baptist church, in which he was ordained in the year 1895. As a public speaker he is forceful and convincing and draws upon the rich resources of a well disciplined mind. In the ministry, on- the educational platform and as a speaker before the various fraternal orders with which he is affiliated he has gained a high reputation and his services are much in demand along these various lines. In the general work of his church he has served as a member of the missionary board and other important subsidiary boards and committees, besides which he has been a frequent delegate to the general conferences of the church. In politics he is admirably fortified in his convictions and gives a staunch allegiance to the Democratic party. In the Masonic fraternity he has served as chaplain of his lodge; in the Knights of Pythias he has held the office of primate; and in the Modern Woodmen of America he served one year as consul of the camp at Marion, Williamson county, and three years as the incumbent of the same office in the camp at Murphysboro. He is a frequent speaker before the organizations of the Knights of Pythias and Modern Woodmen of America and has represented the same in the state conventions in Illinois. He is also affiliated with the Tribe of Ben Hur.

On the 28th of April, 1887, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Rendleman to Miss Margaret Monroe, who was born in Jackson county, this state, a representative of one of the sterling pioneer families of southern Illinois. She was a resident of Jackson county at the time of her marriage, and she has been a devoted wife and true helpmeet, and an earnest worker in the church,-a popular factor in refined social activities and a loving and ambitious mother. Mrs. Rendleman is a daughter of George W. and Sarah J. (Willis) Monroe, who are now both deceased. Mr. Monroe was born in the state of Tennessee, whence he came to Illinois when a young man. He became one of the representative agriculturists and influential citizens of Jackson county, and did well his part in the furtherance of civic and industrial progress. It was his to render valiant service as a soldier of the Union in the Civil war. He enlisted in Company K, Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, and the history of this gallant command virtually constitutes the record of his long and meritorious career as a soldier of the republic whose integrity he assisted in preserving. His service continued during practically the entire period of the war and he was with Sherman on the ever memorable march from Atlanta to the sea and thence northward through the Carolinas, while it was also his distinction to participate in the Grand Review of the victorious troops in the city of Washington. He escaped serious wounds during the four years of service but was captured by the enemy and confined for some time in Andersonville prison. He was mustered out in the city of Springfield, capital of Illinois, and duly received his honorable discharge. His continued interest in his old comrades was shown in later years by his retaining membership in the Grand Army of the Republic.

Mr. and Mrs. Rendleman became the parents of five children, all of whom are living except William Bert, who died in 1898, at the age of nine years. Lillian May, who is a successful and popular teacher in the public schools of Jackson county and who is well upholding the prestige of the family name as a representative of the pedagogic profession, was afforded excellent educational advantages, including a course in the Southern Illinois Normal University. Homer Lee, eldest of the three surviving sons, completed the curriculum of the high school in Murphysboro and is now employed as salesman in a mercantile establishment in this city. Charles Edgar is a member of the class of 1913 in the Murphysboro high school; and Andrew Jackson, Jr., is a student in the public schools.
JOHN L. OZBURN [Page 611]
 One of the best known and most highly esteemed citizens and representative business men of Jackson county is this well known resident of Murphysboro, where he is now engaged in the lumber and building-supply business. Mr. Ozburn is a native of Jackson county and a member of one of its honored pioneer families. The high regard in which he is held in his home county has been significantly shown by his having been called upon to serve in numerous city and county offices, in each of which his course was such as to justify to the fullest extent the public trust reposed in him. His standing in the community is such as to entitle him to special recognition in this history of southern Illinois.

John Logan Ozburn was born on a farm in Jackson township, Jackson county, Illinois, on the 20th of February, 1851, and is a son of Lindorf and Diza Ann (Glenn) Ozburn, natives of Virginia. The father of Mr. Ozburn was one of the pioneer settlers of Jackson county and here became a citizen of prominence and influence and an aggressive and successful business man. In addition to developing an excellent farm he also operated a saw and grist mill, and as a citizen he was distinctively progressive and public-spirited. He espoused the cause of the Republican party at the time of its organization and thereafter continued his allegiance to the same until his death. He served as a valiant soldier of the Union in the Civil War, for which he enlisted in an Illinois regiment of volunteer infantry and he became colonel of his regiment, which he commanded with marked ability. He met his death in 1864, at the hands of a cowardly assassin, this tragic event occurring at Carbondale, Jackson county. His widow passed to the life eternal in 1895, and of their children three sons and two daughters are now living.

John L. Ozburn is indebted to the public schools and summer schools of his native county for his early educational discipline and his initiatory experience in connection with the practical duties and responsibilities of life was that acquired on the farm. In an independent way he was identified with the great basic industry of agriculture for a period of ten years, and for a time he was concerned with coal-mining operations in his home county. Twenty years thereafter were devoted to clerical or official work as bookkeeper and executive, and his record in all these relations has been marked by the utmost fidelity and by effective service.

In 1878 Mr. Ozburn was elected county surveyor, and of this office he continued the incumbent until 1882, in which year he was appointed postmaster of Murphysboro, the thriving judicial center and metropolis of his native county. He remained in tenure of this office for four and one-half years, and in 1894 he was elected county clerk. He held this office until 1898 and was forthwith given further evidence of popular esteem and confidence in his election to the office of master in chancery. The duties of this position engrossed his attention from 1898 to 1900. and for the ensuing three years he served as deputy county treasurer. These brief data show that Mr. Ozburn was retained in public office in virtually a consecutive way for a full quarter of a century, and the county of his birth gives in its official records due evidence of his long and acceptable service as an executive, the while his home city has not failed to mark its appreciation in a similar way. Thus it should be noted that he has served as city engineer of Murphysboro, as a member of its board of aldermen and as city treasurer. Finally he was nominated for mayor, on an independent ticket, but he was unable to overcome the organized forces of the two dominating parties and consequently met defeat, though he received a representative endorsement at the polls.

In 1903 Mr. Ozburn purchased the lumber and building-supply business which he has since conducted with vigor and success and in connection with which he has gained prestige as one of the substantial and representative business men of his native county.

In a generic way, where national and state issues are involved, Mr. Ozburn gives his support to the principles and policies for which the Republican party stands sponser, but in local affairs he has maintained an independent attitude to a large extent by giving his support to the candidates and measures meeting the approval of his judgment. He is affiliated with the Murphysboro lodges of the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and both he and his wife are zealous and valued members of the First Methodist Episcopal church, of the board of trustees of which he is a member.

At Mount Vernon, Jefferson county, this state, on the 12th of August, 1874, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Ozburn to Miss Fannie Morris, daughter of Rev. Charles W. Morris, who was long in zealous service as a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church and who passed the closing years of his life at Murphysboro, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Ozburn became the parents of three sons: Harry O. is cashier of the Citizens' State & Savings Bank of Murphysboro; Thomas L., who was graduated in the United States Naval Academy, at Annapolis, Maryland, as a member of the class of 1902, became lieutenant commander in the navy and for a year was in command of the battleship "Texas." His promising career was cut short by his death, which occurred at the Brooklyn navy yard, on the 2d of July, 1911, at which time he was thirty-two years of age. He had made an admirable record as an officer in the navy and his personal popularity was on a parity with his sterling attributes of character. His death was the severest bereavement that has marked the ideal married life of Mr. and Mrs. Ozburn. George J., the youngest son, remains at the parental home.
JOHN L. SCHMIDGALL [Page 643]
It is due to the efforts of the public-spirited citizens of Murphysboro that this city is at present in such a flourishing condition industrially and commercially, and to the fact that they have found time to lay aside their private interests and take up the work of promoting the movements that have pertained to the civic welfare. Ex-Mayor John L. Schmidgall, a business citizen of high standing and a leader of Republican polities in Jackson county, occupies a prominent place among the representative men of this class. He has been a resident of Murphysboro all of his life, and was born April 17, 1870, a son of Henry and Sarah (Cooper) Schmidgall.

Henry Schmidgall, who is well remembered in Murphysboro as a business man of excellent reputation, was a soldier during the Civil war, enlisting August 12, 1862, in Company D, Eighty-first Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and serving until he received his honorable discharge at Vicksburg, August 5, 1865. He had a fine war record, and when he took up the occupations of peace was as faithful to his city's interests as he had been to his country's and during a long period spent in farming and the transfer business established a reputation for fair dealing and public-spirited citizenship. His death occurred March 20, 1911.

John L. Schmidgall received his early educational training in the public schools of Murphysboro, after leaving which he entered Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, from which institution he was graduated in 1891, with the degree of C. E. Until 1894 he was engaged in civil engineering, and in that year became an operator, but in 1900 sold out and became the owner of the Schmidgall Coal Company, which employs sixty-five men and has an output of two hundred and fifty tons of coal daily. Since his father's death Mr. Schmidgall has been the manager of his estate, and he is also a director in the Southern Illinois Milling Company. He has been very prominent in Republican politics here, and has served the city as alderman for three years, resigning that office to accept the nomination for the mayoralty chair, to which he was eventually elected and served faithfully and efficiently from 1909 until 1911. He was for a long period a member of the city school board and is now trustee of the township high schools. Formerly he was secretary of the Republican County Central Committee, and he now serves as a member of the executive board. Mr. Schmidgall is a member of the Illinois Mine Rescue Commission, and has interested himself in other movements of a progressive nature.

On June 16, 1897, Mr. Schmidgall was united in marriage with Miss Edna Davis, daughter of G. B. Davis, a well known pharmacist of De Soto, Illinois, and three children have been born to this union, namely: Henry Arthur, John Raymond and Robert Green. Fraternally Mr. Schmidgall is a thirty-second degree Mason, being past high priest in the chapter, a member of the Knights Templar at Cairo and the Consistory at Chicago, and he also holds membership in the Elks. Years of activities in the business and political fields have given him a wide acquaintance, and it is safe to say that there is no more popular citizen in Murphysboro.
CAPTAIN EZEKIEL J. INGERSOLL [Page 650]
The fabric of human life woven by the Fates for the children of men is far too often, nay, almost always, of rough and gloomy texture, and presents to the casual observation only its darker tints, its rasping and resisting qualities for service, and the shadows which inevitably belong to it. There are, there must be, bright patches in every expression of it, but for the greater part the sombre hues predominate, or seem to, and give class and character to the whole web.

It is a genuine pleasure to chronicle a striking exception to the rule. This is to be found in the lives of Ezekiel J. and Harriet Helen (Lawrence) Ingersoll, esteemed residents of Carbondale for over fifty-three years. Their earthly career, from the time of their union in marriage on September 21, 1858, to the present time (1911) has seemed to flow steadily on in one calm, full current of active goodness, and to be altogether bright with the light shining from their benignant spirits and reflected from the happiness they have bestowed on others.

Mr. Ingersoll was born at Greensburg, Indiana, on November 18, 1836, and when he was but two years old was taken by his parents to Lebanon, Ohio. There he grew to manhood and obtained his education. In 1853 he moved to Paris, Illinois, and on June 6, 1859, became a resident of Carbondale, which has ever since been his home. Soon after his arrival in the city he began business here as a jeweler, in a room of the building now occupied by the First National Bank. But this he was not destined to continue long without a serious interruption involving continued danger to him and apprehension among the numerous friends he had in the city even then, after living only a short time among its people.

The Civil war came on and put the patriotism of men all over the country to the severest test it had ever known. Early in the contest Mr. Ingersoll responded to the call for volunteers to defend the Union against forced dismemberment, enlisting on July 20, 1862, in Company H, Seventy-third Illinois Infantry, in which he served to the close of the conflict. He had received a fair military education by a three years' service in a well drilled militia company, and in the Federal army, where trained officers were badly needed, his promotion was rapid. He passed all the ranks from sergeant-major to captain, reaching the last in February, 1863, after the battle of Stone River. In the battle of Chickamauga he received a wound, and in that of Franklin another. His wounds did not disable him, however, and he was with his regiment in other hard fought battles and a great many skirmishes. Near the end of the war he acted as major, and at times was in command of the regiment, which he handled with intrepid courage and highly commendable skill and sagacity.

Mr. Ingersoll's interest in the welfare of Carbondale and Jackson counties, and his services in promoting the progress and improvement of both, won for him the regard of the whole people long ago. The residents of the city showed their appreciation of his merit and their faith in his ability and integrity by electing him mayor four times; and. the people of the legislative district theirs by making him their representative in the Thirty-eighth General Assembly. In this body he was assigned to several important committees and rendered his district and the whole state signal and appreciated service. He assisted in drafting the law which transferred the Lincoln monument to the state of Illinois. This law provides that the custodian of the monument shall be an Illinois soldier as long as one remains in the state. And when the last veteran shall have been laid to rest the position must be given to the son of a soldier of Illinois, and so on down the line in perpetual succession. During the session Mr. Ingersoll also secured an appropriation of forty thousand dollars for the erection of the building, on the campus of the University, devoted to science, and in many other ways made his presence in the General Assembly felt greatly to the advantage of the people.

In fact, during his service in that body he attracted the attention of all portions of the state and won the approval of its leading men on all sides. Governor Oglesby appointed him a trustee of the Southern Illinois Normal School, and he was continued in this position by Governors Fifer, Tanner and Yates, serving in it sixteen years in all. The present condition of this great institution shows that it has been well managed, and its history during the period of his trusteeship reflects great credit on everybody connected with the control and government of it.

In political relations Mr. Ingersoll is an uncompromising Republican, and has been from the organization of the party. He called the first Republican meeting ever held in Jackson county. He assisted in organizing the Lincoln and Hamlin Club of Carbondale in 1860, and served as its president. He has supported the candidates of the party at every election since then, and expects to stand by the convictions that have guided him thus far to the end of his life with unswerving loyalty.

In fraternal life he has been an active and enthusiastic member of the Masonic order and the Grand Army of the Republic. In the former he belongs to Shekinah Lodge, No. 241, and was its worshipful master four years. In the latter he holds membership in John W. Lawrence Post, No. 297, of which he has been post commander five years and still holds the position (1912). He has also been Adjutant of the Southern Illinois Soldiers and Sailors' Association.

As noted above, Mr. Ingersoll was married on September 21, 1858, in Paris, Illinois, to Miss Harriet Helen Lawrence, a native and at the time of her marriage a resident of that city. On September 21, 1908, they celebrated their golden wedding, without pomp or splendor of display, but modestly and quietly, in an atmosphere redolent with the fragrance of a half century of true domestic happiness and fidelity, and on that occasion received the voluntary and cordial testimony of the whole city that they were held in the highest esteem by its people of all classes and conditions.

There was abundant reason for this outpouring of popular approval. During the whole time of their previous residence in Carbondale Mr. and Mrs. Ingersoll had been potential aids in every good work done in the community. In the church, in the Sunday-school, in all organizations for the amelioration of human sorrow and the uplifting of mankind laboring in the city they had been untiring toilers, and hundreds of unfortunates had been recipients of their bounty. They had reared five orphans of other parents from childhood to manhood and womanhood, and bestowed on them a full measure of parental care and affection, and they had done all their good deeds without ostentation, and from a genuine love of their fellow creatures. The people of Carbondale revere them for the uprightness of their lives, the usefulness of their citizenship, the sincerity and largeness of their charity toward all mankind, and their intrinsic worth in every way, and were glad of an opportunity to manifest their feelings on the subject.
FREDERICK C. BIERER, M. D. [Page 662]
It is most consonant that in this publication be entered at least a brief tribute to the memory of one who was for many years the representative physician of Jackson county and a rising member of the medical profession in southern Illinois,—the man whose character was the positive expression of a strong and noble nature, and whose life was benignant in its every influence. Dr. Bierer was one of the honored pioneers of southern Illinois and was one of the best known and most influential citizens of Murphysboro, Jackson county, for many years. In addition to achieving distinction and success in his profession, in which he proved himself a true humanitarian, he also gave his aid and influence in connection with the furtherance of all enterprises and measures tending to advance the general welfare, and when he was summoned to the life eternal he left the gracious heritage of a worthy life and worthy deeds.

Dr. Frederick C. Bierer was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, on the 6th of June, 1820, and was a scion of one of the old and honored families of the Keystone state. In preparing himself for the work of his exacting profession he availed himself of the advantages of Jefferson Medical College in the city of Philadelphia, from which famous old institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1843. In the following year he came to Illinois, and it is worthy of record that he made the entire journey from Pennsylvania to this state with a horse and buggy. Arriving at Effingham, the judicial center of the county of the same name, he shipped his horse and carriage to Jackson county and established himself in Murphysboro. Here he engaged in the effective practice of his profession, and incidentally, he lived in the full tension of the pioneer days. His services as a physician and surgeon were in requisition over a wide area of country, and he labored with all zeal and devotion in the alleviation of human suffering and disease, giving himself to his work with the utmost self-abnegation, and driving and going on horse-back over almost inaccessible roads, under conditions that would test the devotion and physical powers of the strongest man. When the Civil war was precipitated upon a divided nation, Dr. Bierer manifested his intrinsic patriotism by promptly enlisting in the defense of the Union. He enlisted in Company H, Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in 1861, and was soon made first lieutenant of his company. He proceeded to the front with his command and had received the appointment of hospital surgeon when his own health became so greatly impaired that he was incapacitated for further service, and he was honorably discharged. He then returned to Murphysboro and for a period of eighteen years thereafter he was engaged in the mercantile business, during the greater portion of the time in an alliance with Robert Worthen, and later with P. W. Griffith.

Dr. Bierer was a man of courtly person, marked vitality and most progressive ideas. He was ever ready to render his influence and cooperation in the furtherance of all enterprises tending to the advancement of the best interests of the community, and he was always a leader in movements of this order. He served as mayor of Murphysboro in 1869, and thereafter was a member of the city board of aldermen for a considerable period. He was one of the originators of the Southern Illinois Medical Association, and served several terms as president of the same. He was one of the founders of the First Lutheran church of Murphysboro, and served as superintendent of its Sunday-school for twenty-two years.

On the 9th of February, 1865, was solemnized the marriage of Dr. Bierer to Sabina U. Griffith, a daughter of John J. Griffith, another of the pioneers of Jackson county. Of the four children of this union two died in infancy. Those surviving are Fred G., of Murphysboro, of whom individual mention is made elsewhere in this work, and Miss Ella Bierer.

Dr. Bierer passed the closing days of his life in the city of St. Louis, Missouri, where he died on the third day of January, 1893, and his name is held in reverent memory in the city which so long represented his home, and to the development and upbuilding of which he contributed in such generous manner. His widow survives and resides in Murphysboro.

Templates in Time