1912 History of Southern Illinois
Volume II

FREDERICK G. BIERER [Page 663]
There is ample evidence that in the case of this popular and representative citizen of Murphysboro, the judicial center of Jackson county, no application can be made of the scriptural aphorism that "a prophet is not without honor save in his own country," from the fact that he has gained secure place as one of the representative members of the bar of his native city and county and that he is held in popular confidence and regard of the highest order. He is a son of the late honored Dr. Frederick C. Bierer, to whom a memorial is dedicated in another portion of this work, so that further mention of the family history is not demanded in the present connection.

Frederick Griffith Bierer was born in Murphysboro on the first of June, 1875, and he is indebted to the public schools of his native town for his early education, which included the curriculum of the high school. As a youth he was associated to a greater or less extent with the mercantile business with which his father was connected, and finally he entered the St. Louis Law School, which is the law department of Washington University in the city of St. Louis. In this institution he completed the prescribed course and was graduated as a member of the class of 1900, duly receiving his degree of Bachelor of Laws. He was admitted to the bar of his native state in October of the same year, and commenced the practice of his profession in Murphysboro, where his success has been on a parity with his recognized ability. He has built up a substantial general practice, and is known as an able trial lawyer and a wise counsellor. He has served two terms as city attorney, and in this office made an admirable record. Mr. Bierer is essentially progressive and public spirited, and his interest in all that concerns his native city is of the most insistent and loyal order. He is a member of the directorate of the Citizens State and Savings Bank, of which he was one of the organizers. He is attorney for the Illinois Building and Loan Association, as well as of the Murphysboro Park District, and is a director of the Jackson County Fair Association. His political allegiance is given to the Republican party, and he takes an active interest in the furtherance of its cause. He and his wife are zealous members of the First Lutheran church of Murphysboro, in which church he is an elder, as well as superintendent of its Sunday-school. He is affiliated with the local organization of the Modern Woodmen of America, of the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of which last named organization he is past exalted ruler.

On June 1, 1910, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Bierer to Miss Nellie S. Peirson, daughter of John J. and Anna K. Peirson of Murphysboro, where Mr. Peirson is a prominent representative of the real-estate and insurance business. Mr. and Mrs. Bierer are popular factors in connection with the social activities of their home city, and their residence is a recognized center of hospitality. They have one son, Frederick Peirson Bierer.
ENOS PERRY. [Page 670]
Progressive, energetic and enterprising, Enos Perry is numbered among the foremost merchants of Goreville, and, with his brother, A. B. Perry, owns one of the largest department stores in Johnson county. He was born June 15, 1867, in Jackson county, Illinois, on a farm lying in the vicinity of Carbondale. His father, Archibald Perry, was born in Tennessee in 1824, and as a youth came with his parents to Jackson county, Illinois, where he spent the remainder of his life, being engaged in farming until his death, in 1879. He married Lucinda Reeder, who was born in 1836 and died in 1909. Of the eleven children born of their union eight grew to years of maturity, as follows: J. N.; William; George W.; J. L.; J. A., deceased; A. B.; Mrs. Louise Rosson; and Enos.

Gleaning his early knowledge of the common branches of learning in the district schools of Jackson county, Enos Perry subsequently attended Ewing College for a time. Turning his attention then toward agricultural pursuits, he was successfully employed as a tiller of the soil until 1896, when he opened a general store at Vergennes, Illinois. Disposing of that in 1900, Mr. Perry removed to Goreville, Johnson county, and having erected a frame building put in a choice assortment of goods and carried on a substantial business until May, 1906, when a disastrous fire caused him a loss of three thousand dollars above all insurance. With his brother, A. B. Perry, he then erected a fine brick building, and he now carries a stock of general merchandise valued at nine thousand dollars, in addition to dry goods and clothing having groceries, shoes, furniture, hardware, harnesses, stoves, etc., every department being amply supplied with first-class goods.

Mr. Perry married, July 10, 1891, Mary Stout, of Jackson county, a daughter of Newton and Susan Stout, and into their pleasant home six children have been born, namely: Clyde Arthur, who lived but eight and one-half years; Hazel: Clara; Ruth; Grace; and Enos. Fraternally Mr. Perry belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America and to the Modern Brotherhood of America.
HENRY CLAY CURTIS. [Page 672]
This valued business man and citizen of Carbondale, who is now the mayor of the city, is a gentleman of broad views, much enterprise and highly commendable and serviceable achievements. The fact that he has confined his efforts in the domain of industrial promotion to the one line of endeavor in which he was trained in youth and early manhood has enabled him to attain a higher measure and more considerable degree of success than he might otherwise have reached, but he has capacity and inmpelling power that would have brought good results in any line of action to which they might have been devoted with the zeal and industry that have always characterized him.

Mr. Curtis was born in St. Clair county, Illinois, on December 5, 1859, and is a son of James A. and Mary H. (Land) Curtis, who moved to Warrensburg, Missouri, a number of years ago. The father was a native of Alsace-Lorraine and the mother was of Southern birth. The son received his education in the public schools and at the Illinois State University. After leaving that institution he learned the trade of flour milling, and after completing his apprenticeship worked for six years in a mill at Marissa, which was one of the first roller mills in Southern Illinois. From Marissa he came to Ava in this county, and there he remained employed in a mill twelve years.

In 1900 he moved to Carbondale, organized the Carbondale Mill and Elevator Company, and built its plant. He is president and general manager of the company and very active in pushing its business, which has grown to large extension under the impulse of his stimulating and energetic control. The mill has a capacity of two hundred barrels of flour a day, and the elevator has storage capacity for forty-five thousand bushels*of grain. In addition to this plant the company has an elevator at McClure, Alexander county, with a capacity of twenty thousand bushels, and buys on an average five hundred thousand bushels a year. It employs regularly twenty-five men, and at times several more.

Mr. Curtis has been incessant in his devotion to the welfare and progress of Carbondale since he became a resident of the city. His interest in it has given him high standing with the citizens, and they have not been slow to call his ability into the public service for their benefit. He has done good -work for the community as a member of the city council, and in April, 1911, he was elected mayor, the people having found their faith in him fully justified by his course in the lower municipal office. Neither are they disappointed in his work as mayor. Every interest of the city is carefully looked after by him in his official capacity, and every element of progress and development is vigorously employed in pushing forward the advance of the municipality along Hues of wholesome growth and improvement.

In politics Mr. Curtis is a firm and faithful Democrat, and one of the influential and effective workers for the good of his party. He is recognized as wise in counsel and energetic in action for its benefit, and is regarded as one of its strongest and most capable members in the county. He is also a Prohibitionist in theory and practice, ardently desirous of the total elimination of the liquor traffic, but yet not willing to sacrifice every other substantial advantage in government for the sake of that one reform, however strongly he may feel that it is needed.

On June 25, 1883, he was married to Miss Katharine Curry of Marissa, this state, a daughter of James Curry. Three children have been born of the union, and all of them are living: Fay, the wife of J. G. Bellamy, of Pomona, Illinois, who is a merchant; Harry Clark, a traveling salesman for his father's company; and Edward Earl, who is its assistant manager. Mr. and Mrs. Bellamy have a son named Curtis and a daughter named Kathleen. The younger son, Edward Earl Curtis, is also married. He chose as his wife Miss Beulah Strohman, of Carbondale, a daughter of Otto Strohman, a prominent farmer of Jackson county and classed among its most useful and respected citizens. They have one child, Edward Earl Curtis, Jr.

Mr. Curtis is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and his wife and children also attend its services regularly. He is on the advisory or official board of the congregation to which he belongs, and takes a leading part in all the work of the local organization. In fraternal relations he is an enthusiastic adherent of the Masonic order. He has his family, what is left of it, under his own roof-tree, are pleasantly established in the former home of that once gallant Union general and influential United States senator, the late Hon. John A. Logan. He purchased the property because of its value and adaptability to his needs, but its historical character is also pleasing to him and the hosts of friends of the family who frequent it and always find it bright with intellectual and social culture and warm with genuine and unaffected hospitality.
JAMES H. MARTIN. [Page 676]
Among the essentially representative citizens of Murphysboro, Jackson county, whose influence and activities have contributed to the economic and social progress of this favored section of the state, stands James H. Martin, who claims the fine old Hoosier commonwealth as the place of his nativity, but the major part of whose life has been passed in Illinois. He is one of the leading members of the bar of Jackson county, and is a citizen of broad views and marked progressiveness. He is identified with various important corporations in his home city, including the City National Bank of Murphysboro, of which he is a director and concerning which specific mention is made in other parts of this publication.

Mr. Martin was born in Ripley county, Indiana, on the 18th day of October, 1852. He was a child at the time of his parents' removal to Illinois, the family settling in Richland county in 1865. There he was reared to adult age and there he availed himself of the advantages of the public schools. That he made good use of his opportunities is indicated by the fact that as a youth he taught school for some time in the country districts, and proved himself an able and popular exponent of the pedagogic profession. He early formulated different plans for a future career, and decided to prepare himself for the profession of law. With this end in view he began his studies under a private preceptor and finally entered the law department of the celebrated University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, where he remained until 1880. He was admitted to the bar in May of 1880, and shortly afterwards he established his home in Murphysboro, Illinois, where he has continued in effective practice during the long, intervening years. This interval has been marked by worthy accomplishments on his part, and he has gained prestige as one of the ablest and most conscientious representatives of his profession in this section of the state. For a number of years past he has given his attention principally to real-estate, common law and chancery practice, and along these lines he controls a large and representative business.

In all that pertains to the general welfare of the community, Mr. Martin has shown a loyal and public-spirited interest. He has gained a secure vantage ground in the confidence and esteem of the community in which he has so long made his home. He is a strong advocate of the principles and policies for which the Democratic party stands sponsor, and while he has given praiseworthy service in behalf of the party, he has never been an aspirant for political office. He was nominated at one time for the office of judge of the circuit court, but he declined the nomination. Since 1908 he has served as president of the board of education of the Murphysboro Township High School, and in the line of his profession he is attorney for several of the representative corporations of his home city, including the Jackson County Homestead Loan and Building Association, of which he was the principal organizer. In 1892 he was appointed attorney for the City National Bank, of which he has been a director from the time of its organization. He is attorney for the Murphysboro Telephone Company, as well as the Ohio & Mississippi Valley Telephone Company. In a fraternal way he is identified with the local lodge of the Knights of Pythias.

In the year 1888, on November 13, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Martin to Miss Elizabeth Kennedy, daughter of George and Ellen (Ross) Kennedy, for many years residents of Murphysboro. Mr. Kennedy was engaged in the mercantile business for fully forty years in that city, being well and favorably known in the community where he has made his home for so many years. Mr. and Mrs. Martin have two children: Milford M., who is a student at the Murphysboro township high school, and Anna K., who was graduated from the Murphysboro high school as a member of the class of 1909, and who is now Mrs. Otis F. Glenn.
CITY NATIONAL BANK OP MURPHYSBORO [Page 677]
One of the strong and actively ordered financial institutions of Jackson county and one that contributes its quota to the commercial and industrial stability of this favored section of the country is the City National Bank of Murphysboro. The institution is the direct successor to the Bank of Murphysboro, organized by James E. Walker and his wife, who owned and controlled the business for a number of years. In 1892 the City National Bank was organized and incorporated, and business had practical initiation on the 25th day of November of that year. At the time of organization the total assets of the bank were $112,000, and in the early stages of its operations its individual deposits aggregated something less than $60,000. The enterprise has been handled with marked conservatism and circumspection, and the institution has gained an impregnable hold upon the public confidence and esteem, aggregating in bonds alone a capital stock of $50,000, and the total deposits now aggregating $550,000. In 1895 Mr. Walker and his associates sold their interests in the banks to Mr. William K. Murphy and others. Mr. Hardy has been chief executive of the institution since May, 1899.

The bank has a fine modern building of brick, two stories in height and twenty-four by sixty feet in lateral dimension.
LAWRENCE RAMSEY HARRINGTON. [Page 685]
While Nature often seems careless in her work, flinging her varied brood recklessly into being and leaving all of her offspring to look out for themselves, she is yet provident and systematic to a high degree, fitting almost every man for some particular work in the world's great industrial contests, but usually leaving it to him or his friends to find out what it is. She seems to have fitted Lawrence R. Harrington, of Carbondale, particularly for the banking business, and he soon found the congenial atmosphere for the development and exercise of his special faculties.

Mr. Harrington is a native of Illinois and has all of a loyal son's devotion to the welfare of his mother state. He was born in Gallatin county on September 18, 1883, and is a son of John W. and Elizabeth (Ramsey) Harrington, prosperous farmers of that county, and standing well in the estimation and regard of its people. They furnished excellent examples of fidelity to duty in private life and in connection with public affairs, and in their characters and conduct represented the best elements of the sturdy citizenship of their locality and county.

Their son Lawrence obtained his education in the public schools at the Central Normal College in Danville. Indiana, and the Southern Illinois Normal University of this state. Soon after leaving the institution last named, he located in Carbondale and was appointed assistant cashier of the Jackson State Bank. He held this position until the reorganization of the bank into the Carbondale National Bank, and then was made cashier of the new corporation, in which capacity he has served it well and wisely ever since.

He has ever shown an earnest and intelligent interest in the welfare of the city of his home, and given it expression in the most practical and helpful way. He gave the city excellent service for a time as city treasurer and collector of special taxes, securing good returns for his efforts in the latter and eminent satisfaction to the people in the management of the former position, and winning warm commendation for his manner of discharging the duties of each.

In his connection with the bank he has been a shining success as a financier and popularizing force. He has so conducted the office of cashier in this strong and admirable institution as to add considerably to its body of patrons and the volume of its business, and thus and in other ways to strengthen its hold on the confidence and regard of the people of the whole county, and of every locality in which it does business. He is also secretary and treasurer of the J. A. Patterson Company, an extensive dealer in clothing, shoes and kindred commodities, and in that position also is doing good work and achieving gratifying results. He is everywhere recognized as one of the most capable and careful business men in the city, and one of the most estimable and useful citizens of the county.

On February 22, 1911, Mr. Harrington was united in marriage with Miss Mabel Patterson, of Carbondale, a daughter of Gabriel and Susan (Zimmerman) Patterson, long esteemed residents of the city, where for years the father was a leading merchant and grain dealer. In religious matters Mr. Harrington gives his faith and allegiance to the tenets and regulations of the Christian church, and serves as a deacon in the congregation to which he belongs. In fraternal relations he is a member of the Masonic order of the Royal Arch degree, and also belongs to the Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. His interest in all these fraternities is warm and his services to them are valuable and appreciated.
JOHN G. HARDY. [Page 690]
A prominent figure in connection with financial and other business activities of Southern Illinois and a citizen whose influence has been cast in support of progressive measures along both civic and material lines, John G. Hardy is known as one of the representative citizens of Murphysboro, the judicial center of Jackson county, and has done much to foster its progress and prosperity. He is president of the City National Bank, one of the solid and popular financial institutions of this section of the state and one of which specific mention is made on other pages of this work, so that further data concerning the same are not demanded in the present article.

John G. Hardy was born in Vienna, Johnson county, Illinois, on the 16th of April, 1859, and is a son of William B. and Malinda (Willis) Hardy, natives of Kentucky. William B. Hardy established his home in Johnson county, Illinois, in the pioneer days and became one of the prosperous farmers of this state, where he was known as a man of ability and sterling integrity and where he gained independence and definite prosperity through his well directed efforts. Both he and his wife passed the closing years of their lives in Jackson county, and passed to eternal rest secure in the high regard of all who knew them. Both were zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal church. South, and in politics the father gave his support to the cause of the Democratic party. Of the four children two sons and one daughter are now living.

He whose name initiates this review has been a resident of Jackson county from his childhood days and here he was reared under the sturdy discipline of the farm, in whose work he early began to lend his aid. He was afforded the advantages of the public schools and the Southern Illinois Normal University, at Carbondale. He forthwith put his scholastic attainments to practical test and utilization and for four years was engaged in teaching in the district schools. He proved successful and popular as an exponent of the pedagogic profession, but soon sought other fields of endeavor. In 1884 he was appointed deputy county clerk of Jackson county, and he continued to be identified with this important department of the county government until 1892, when, upon the organization of the same, he assumed the position of cashier of the City National Bank, in the organizing of which, as successor of the Bank of Murphysboro, he had been instrumental. In this position Mr. Hardy proved a most discriminating and able executive, and the estimate placed upon his services was shown by his election to the office of president of the institution, on the 1st of May, 1899. As chief executive he has followed the same progressive and duly conservative policies which he had furthered during his services as cashier, and the up-building of the large and substantial business of this bank has been in large measure due to his efforts. He is a thorough and careful business man and his personal popularity, which is of unequivocal order, has its basis in the inflexible integrity of purpose manifested by him in all the relations of life and to his kindly and considerate attitude in his association with his fellow men. He is a man of broad views and well-fortified opinions, is essentially loyal and public-spirited as a citizen, and takes a vital interest in all that touches the welfare of his home city and county.

In addition to giving scrupulous attention to the affairs of the bank Mr. Hardy .has given his influence and capitalistic support to various other enterprises of important order. He is treasurer of the Murphysboro Telephone Company and also of the Ohio and Mississippi Valley Telephone Company; is secretary and treasurer of the Murphysboro Electric Railway, Heat, Light & Power Company; and is a director of the Jackson County Building & Loan Association, besides which he is the owner of much valuable real estate in Jackson county. In politics Mr. Hardy accords staunch allegiance to the Democratic party, but he has not had ambition to enter the turbulent stream of so-called practical politics. Aside from his service in the office of county clerk his only active association with public office has been as a member of the Murphysboro board of education, of which he was a director for a long period and at one time president, his interest in educational affairs being of most earnest order. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, in their home city and are zealous in the various departments of its work. He has served for a number of years as a member of its official board and is still in tenure of this position. Mr. Hardy is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, in which he is a member of the local lodge and chapter; is prominently identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which he is a past grand and which he has represented in the Grand Lodge of the state, besides which he holds membership in the adjunct organization, the Daughters of Rebekah. In the time-honored Masonic fraternity he is identified also with the Order of the Eastern Star, and as a member of the Knights of Pythias he also holds membership in the woman's auxiliary of the same.

On the 6th of January, 1886, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Hardy to Miss Neal, who was born at Murphysboro. Illinois, and who is a daughter of the late Henry B. Neal, an honored resident of Murphysboro at the time of his death. Concerning the children of Mr. and Mrs. Hardy the following brief record is entered in conclusion of this review: Ruth is the wife of Harry C. Wilson, of Jonesboro, Union county; Nell remains at the parental home; John G., Jr., is a student in High school; Carl N. and Robert H. are attending the public schools of their home city; and Mary E. and Esther both remain at home. The family is prominent and popular in connection with the social affairs of the community and the pleasant home is known for its gracious hospitality.
NEWTON J. BENSON, M. D. [Page 693]
Having by long practice and wide experience gained knowledge and skill in his professional career, Newton J. Benson, M. D., of Goreville, occupies a position of note among the more successful physicians of Johnson county, while as a druggist he has established a substantial business and is closely associated with the advancement of the mercantile interests of this part of the state. He was born March 6, 1848, in Gallatin county, Illinois, on the farm of his father, James M. Benson.

His paternal grandfather, Charles R. Benson, was born in Virginia, a son of Babel Benson, who migrated with his family to Kentucky in the early part of the nineteenth century. In 1821 Charles R. Benson came to Illinois, settling in Sangamon county when the country round about was in its virgin wildness. On account of the prevalence of malaria and other sickness, he soon returned to Kentucky, and was a resident of Logan county until 1831. He then started for Sangamon county, Illinois, with his family, but stopped en route in Gallatin county, where he entered one hundred and sixty acres of land from the Government. Clearing a space in the midst of the deep, wild woods, he erected a log cabin, and there resided until his death, which was caused, in 1848, from exposure incurred while on a hunting expedition.

James M. Benson was born February 6, 1822, in Sangamon county, Illinois, near the present site of the city of Springfield. He spent a few years of his childhood in Logan county, Kentucky, afterwards living on the home farm in Gallatin county until 1851. Moving then to Bloomfield township, Jackson county, he purchased two hundred and forty-eight acres of wild land, and on the farm which he improved lived and labored many years, it being the estate now owned and occupied by James S. Benson. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Sixtieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under command of Captain William C. Goddard and Colonel Toler, being commissioned first lieutenant of his company. On November 30, 1862, on account of serious illness, he was honorably discharged from the service. While in the army he took part in several skirmishes. He was at Island No. 10, in the Mississippi, from there going with his comrades to Pittsburg Landing, thence to Corinth, Mississippi, and from there marched to Tuscumbia, Alabama, thence to Nashville, Tennessee, traveling on foot all the way and there being discharged. In 1907, having by dint of industry and wise management accumulated a competency, he disposed of his farm, and having given each of his heirs five hundred dollars retained the remainder of his wealth and took up his residence in Goreville.

On April 10, 1845, James M. Benson was united in marriage with Selinda Slack, a daughter of William and Mary (Finney) Slack, natives, respectively, of Kentucky and Virginia. She died April 17, 1900. Four children were born of their union, namely: Newton J., the subject of this brief sketch; Maggie A.; A. G.; and James. Maggie A. became the wife of a Mr. Carson and to them two children were born, as follows: Mrs. Maud Whittenberg, who died in early womanhood, leaving one child, George W. Whittenberg; and Cora, who married a Mr. Nave, and at her death left one child Ellen Nave. A. G. Benson married and has seven children, namely: Mrs. Eva Kuykendall, who has two children; John, who is married and has two children ; Mrs. Mary Hudgens, who has one child, Earl Hudgens; Arthur, the oldest son; Robert; and Charles and Frank, twins. James Benson is married and has two children, Eugene and Daniel.

Growing to manhood on the parental homestead, Newton J. Benson began teaching school when eighteen years old, and five years later, with the money which he had saved from his scant earnings, he bought a farm of forty acres. From 1866 until 1874 he taught school, farmed and studied medicine. In 1873 he sold his land, and with the proceeds entered Rush Medical College, in Chicago, where he studied faithfully for eighteen months. In the spring of 1875 he was graduated from the University of Louisville, Kentucky, with the degree of M. D. Beginning the practice of his profession in Johnson county, Illinois, Dr. Benson was associated for three years with Dr. "W. A. Looney, of Vienna, and the ensuing three years was there in partnership with Dr. George Barton. For nearly a quarter of a century longer the Doctor continued his residence in Vienna, where he built up a good practice, and where, from 1896 until 1907 he was secretary of the County Pension Board. In 1907 he opened a drug store at Nashville, Illinois, and conducted it a year, when, in 1908, he came to Goreville, where he is carrying on a profitable business as a druggist and has a large practice as a physician. He has accumulated a fair share of this world's wealth, owing a farm of twenty-five acres near Goreville, and having in addition valuable residential and business property.

Dr. Benson is a member of the Southern Illinois, the Johnson County, the Illinois State, and the American Medical Societies. He is a man of good executive and professional ability, and from 1890 until 1894 served as assistant superintendent of the Anna Hospital for the Insane. Fraternally he is a member of Vienna Lodge, No. 150, Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons, at Vienna; and of Gethsemane Metropolis Commandery, No. 41, Knights Templars, of Metropolis. Religiously he belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church.

On April 22, 1879, Dr. Benson was united in marriage with Mrs. Emma F. (Beal) Cole, a daughter of Stephen and Eliza Beal, who migrated from Pennsylvania, their native state, to Southern Illinois in 1857 when she was a child of three years. Her first husband, L. W. Cole, left her a widow with one child, Mrs. Margaret A. Keithley, whose husband is connected with the Wheeling Canning Company, at Wheeling, West Virginia. Mrs. Benson is an active and prominent worker in the Order of the Eastern Star, being a member of the Grand Chapter of Illinois, and having served as a delegate from Vienna to the State conferences.
THOMAS L. CHERRY. [Page 707]
This enterprising business man, wide-awake promoter and universally esteemed citizen of Carbondale has resided in Southern Illinois twelve years, and in the city of his home at this date since 1901, having located here in December of that year to take a position in the employ of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, He has impressed the people favorably from his advent in the city, for he has sterling qualities as a business man and as a citizen that wear and grow in value as the community becomes more familiar with them.

Mr. Cherry is a native of Kentucky, born in Bowling Green, Warren county, of that state, on April 19, 1876. His parents are R. H. and Elizabeth (Reeves) Cherry, still residents of Kentucky. They are fine representatives of its sturdy and elevated citizenship and exemplify in all the relations of life the best traits and characteristics of upright and estimable American manhood and womanhood.

The father was a school teacher in the years of his late youth and early manhood, and for fifteen or twenty more was engaged in railroad construction work.

The son was educated in the public schools and at McKendree College in Lebanon, Illinois, which he attended in 1895 and 1896. Subsequently he pursued a course of special training at the Bowling Green Business College of the Cherry Brothers in Bowling Green, Kentucky, his native town.

In July, 1896, Mr. Cherry formed a partnership with C. E. Hamilton, under the firm name of Hamilton & Cherry, for the purpose of conducting a real estate and insurance business, and a little later the firm added an abstracting business, organized to cover the whole county of Jackson. The real estate and insurance partnership lasted until January, 1910, when Mr. Cherry bought Mr. Hamilton's interest in it, and has since carried it on alone. He also still owns a one-half interest in the abstract business. This is conducted by the Twin City Abstract Company, and he is the president and manager of the company.

The public affairs of his city and county have always deeply interested Mr. Cherry and he has given them close, careful and helpful attention. He has served as alderman of Carbondale, and in many other ways has shown his abiding devotion to the welfare of the community. His public spirit impels him to earnest activity in behalf of every worthy enterprise for its betterment, and he is always counted on to be one of the most forceful agencies in promoting and bringing to a satisfactory conclusion any project that will add to the conveniences and comfort of its population.

On March 2, 1902, he was married to Miss Alice S. Vanden, a daughter of Joseph and Minnie Vanden, prominent residents of St. Louis, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Cherry have four children, their sons Richard Vanden, George Thomas and Luther Allen, and their daughter Alice Sarah.

Of the fraternal societies so numerous among men, and which they find so helpful in their beneficial and so enjoyable in their social features, Mr. Cherry has joined but two, the Freemasons and the Knights of Pythias. His religious connection is with the Methodist Episcopal church, and in the congregation which has the benefit of his membership he is assistant superintendent of the Sunday-school. All the work of the church enlists his interest and has his active and effective aid.
ALBERT N. SAUER. [Page 714]
The milling interests of Southern Illinois are naturally large, as this section of the state is a prosperous grain country, and in this field a number of the prosperous business men of Jackson county have expended their best efforts. Murphysboro is well represented in this line by Albert N. Sauer, a business man of the younger generation, whose whole experience has been in this line, the Reliance Milling Company, of which he is the president, being one of the leading business establishments of the city. Mr. Sauer was born at Evansville, Randolph county, Illinois, February 20, 1884, and is a son of William and Elizabeth (Grob) Sauer, one of the highly esteemed couples of Randolph county.

William Sauer was born in Randolph county, in 1845, and was reared on the farm of his father, who was an early settler of that section. At the age of twenty years he embarked in the milling business at Evansville, and there he has continued to follow the same line ever since. Mrs. Sauer was a daughter of George Grob, also a farmer and an early settler of Randolph county, and she and Mr. Sauer have five children: Barbara, who is the wife of the Rev. William Morton, of Quincy, Illinois ; and Henry, Albert, Edward and Anna. Mr. Sauer has been identified with Republican politics at Evansville. and both he and his wife are active in the work of the German Evangelical church.

Albert N. Sauer 's early life was spent at Evansville, where he received his early education in the public schools, later attending the Sparta High School, McKendree College and the Barnes Business College, at St. Louis. On completing his course at the latter institution he came to Murphysboro to engage in the milling business, in which he had gained experience as a youth in his father's mill, and at first acted as bookkeeper and assistant manager. He is now president of the Reliance Milling Company, in which his brother, Edward G. Sauer, is also interested, a plant with a capacity of six hundred barrels per day, which employs a force of twenty-five men. This mill has an extensive trade throughout this territory, and bears a high reputation in the business world.

In 1905 Mr. Sauer was married to Miss May Thorpe, of Murphysboro, daughter of the late Joshua Thorpe, and two children have been born to this union, namely: May Louise and William. Mr. Sauer has been known as an active worker in the ranks of the Republican party in Murphysboro, and for a time was a member of the city council. He belongs to the Elks and the Knights of Pythias, and attends the German Evangelical' church, while Mrs. Sauer is a Presbyterian. Since locating in Murphysboro Mr. Sauer 's business interests have demanded a great deal of his attention, but he has always managed to find time to lend his aid to movements of a progressive nature, and he can be relied upon to support anything that promises the betterment of Murphysboro in any way. He is widely acquainted through this section of Southern Illinois, and his friendships are many.
IRA J. HUDSON. [Page 719]
Give to a man the instincts and ability of a merchant by birth and he will sooner or later identify himself with that particular line of business, regardless of what his early training with reference to other pursuits may be. Many a man has made his mark in the field of merchandising, lacking the very desirable advantages of education and training. How much greater, then, is a man's chance for ultimate success in business when he is fortified with a liberal general education in addition to that great fundamental necessity, natural ability. The career of Ira J. Hudson particularly emphasizes this truth, as a glance at his record will amply confirm.

Ira J. Hudson was born in Clinton, Kentucky, July 19, 1877, being the son of Henry J. Hudson, now a merchant in Mounds, Illinois, but born in Hickman county, Kentucky, near Clinton, in 1853. He was the son of another Henry Hudson, who became a resident of the Corncracker state in about 1835, coming there from Virginia and acquiring a tract of farm land near Clinton, for which he paid the nominal figure of two dollars and a half per acre. Henry Hudson, the Kentucky pioneer, had no brothers, but he had three sisters: they were Mrs. Morris Brown, of Hannibal, Missouri; Mrs. Sichling, the wife of Dr. Sichling, of Ullin, Illinois; and Mrs. Maryon Woodard of Clinton, Kentucky. He was the husband of Amanda Spicer, who bore him six children, as follows: Mary J., who married J. Vaughan and spent her life near Clinton, Kentucky; Sarah E., who became the wife of H. H. Harmon, and also passed her life near Clinton; Mrs. T. F. Gwyn, of South Columbus, Kentucky; Henry J., of Mounds, Illinois; and Martha Ellen, the wife of J. V. Brady, of Chaffee, Missouri. The remainder of his life was passed in Hickman county, Kentucky, and there he died in 1900, having reached a venerable age.

The early life of Henry J. Hudson was spent as a farmer in his native county. The usual common school advantages of a youth of that period were his, and on reaching years of manhood he married Miss Annette Lentz, a daughter of Paul Lentz, of German birth, and a settler of Hickman county from North Carolina. When Henry J. Hudson came to Illinois in 1881 he continued his life as a farmer until the birth and early development of the railroad activities at Mounds, Illinois, when he went to that city and engaged in business in a mercantile way, conducting a grocery business of a particularly thriving nature for years under the firm name of H. J. Hudson and Son. In 1909 he was succeeded in that business by his son, and he subsequently opened a small confectionery establishment on the same street, where he is still conducting a lively and lucrative business. Henry J. Hudson is a Republican in his political convictions, and he comes from a family with pronounced Southern sympathies, which statement is considerably emphasized by the fact that two of his brothers-in-law served in the Confederate army. The issue of his marriage with Annette Lentz, previously mentioned, are Ira J., of Mounds, Illinois; Henry, cashier of the Cotton Belt freight office at. Cairo, Illinois; Omer, in the service of the Illinois Central at Mounds; Bertie, married to Van Pope, but now deceased; Otis, a doctor who took his medical degree some years ago and practiced for a time in the Southern Illinois Penitentiary at Chester, but is now located at Mounds; and Paul and Ray, both in the employ of the Illinois Central at Mounds.

Ira J. Hudson as a boy and youth was a regular attendant at the common schools in Ullin, Illinois. At the age of sixteen he was graduated from the Friendship School in Pulaski county, Illinois, and later spent two years at the Southern Illinois Normal at Carbondale. Following that he read law for a year in the law department of McKendree College at Lebanon, Illinois. He then engaged as a teacher, and he served in that capacity for several years in the counties of Pulaski, Jackson and Alexander, in all of which places he held an admirable record for careful and efficient service. His last work as a teacher was performed in the year 1900, .when he became associated with his father in the mercantile business. In 1905 he took service with the Illinois Central and became night foreman at Mounds, a responsible position which he held for several years, severing his connection with that company in 1909, at which time he took over the business then being conducted under the name of H. J. Hudson and Son, and he has conducted that business successfully since that time, always improving, expanding, and in every way reaching out after trade, and generally demonstrating his inherent ability and capacity for successful merchandising.

Mr. Hudson politically is a Republican, and has been more or less active in the affairs of his party for a number of years. He is now serving his fourth term as city clerk of Mounds, thereby showing himself to be sufficiently public spirited to encumber himself with the cares of office in addition to the manifold responsibilities of everyday life. He is identified with a number of fraternal societies, in all of which he is prominent and active, among them being the order of Odd Fellows and the Modern "Woodmen of America. He is a past master in Masonry and has served as deputy grand master. In his church relations he is of the Methodist Episcopal faith.

On June 13, 1901, Mr. Hudson was united in marriage with Miss Retta Gher, a daughter of Dr. Gher, of Makanda, and they are the parents of one child, Ira J., Jr.

Templates in Time