1912 History of Southern Illinois
Volume II

G. RILEY HUFFMAN. [Page 721]
Although not a native of Illinois, this prominent merchant and influential and progressive citizen of Carbondale has been a resident of Jackson county ever since he reached the age of nineteen, a period of twenty-six years. He is therefore well acquainted and closely in touch with its people, and fully in sympathy with their public spirit and all their industrial, mercantile and commercial aspirations, as well as with the highest and best expression of their social life.

Mr. Huffman is a native of Virginia, having been born in Wythe county, in the Old Dominion, on July 25, 1866. He is a son of Joseph D. and Sophia (Brown) Huffman, extensive planters in that county before the Civil war, and still engaged in tilling the soil there and giving an agreeable example of the rural life of that portion of the country. They were great sufferers from the waste and prostration of all business occasioned by the war, and during the boyhood and early youth of their son Riley its wounds, material and commercial as well as in the persons of its soldiers during the conflict, were still painfully visible.

He worked with his father on the old plantation until he was nineteen years of age and in the meantime attended the public school in the neighborhood of his home when he could be spared from labor. At the age mentioned he became dissatisfied with the prospects before him in a state so cruelly desolated by sectional strife, and determined to seek more favorable conditions in one of the newer and more progressive commonwealths of the great and growing West, where the noise of enterprise was loud and every stroke of human energy brought immediate and gratifying returns.

Accordingly he bade farewell to the scenes and associations of his boyhood, and came courageously to Jackson county, Illinois, expatriating himself from home and friends to make his bed with strangers and work out his destiny among them. He hired himself to a farmer in the county, and for a year or two worked as a farm hand during the busy seasons and attended school during the winter months. His pay was meager and his progress toward independence and consequence among men, the goal of his ambition, was slow. But he was frugal and prudent, and in time accumulated enough money to pay his way through a course at Dixon College in Dixon, Lee county, this state, which prepared him for usefulness more in accordance with his tastes and ardent aspirations.

After leaving college he taught school four years in Jackson county, then clerked in a grocery store in Murphysboro for a time. He became enamored of the business and bought the store and good will of his employer, and this he conducted successfully and profitably for twelve years. At the end of that period he came to Carbondale and bought a grocery store, having disposed of the one he had in Murphysboro. In 1904 he purchased a furniture and undertaking establishment and formed the Huffman Furniture Company, of which he is the president and general manager, and has been from the organization of the company. This company carries on an extensive and active trade in furniture and does funeral directing in the most scientific and artistic manner. It has a high reputation for the excellence of its output in the mercantile line, and is universally commended for the elevated character of its work in burying the dead. Mr. Huffman gives every detail of the business his vigilant personal supervision, and leaves nothing undone to secure the best results in every department and feature of it. He also owns farms in the county and supervises the cultivation of them.

He was married on December 26, 1895, to Miss Maggie Will, of this county, a daughter of George and Arah (Bouscher) Will, who live on and cultivate one of the county's well improved and highly developed farms, which they have made it since they became its owners and took charge of its management. Mr. and Mrs. Huffman have six children, Bernice, Nyle, Otis, Ana, and their twin son and daughter, Paul and Pauline. All of them are living and members of the parental family circle. The parents are devoted and serviceable members of the Christian church, and the father is one of the deacons of his congregation.

Mr. Huffman has taken a decided and fruitful interest in the fraternal life of his community, working zealously for the good of his several lodges, and giving them the full benefit of his intelligence and enterprise. He is a Knight of Pythias, with the rank of past chancellor; an Odd Fellow, with the rank of past grand; a trustee of the local lodge of the Order of Elks, and a Modern Woodman of America. He has served as a member of the school board eight years, and was a member of the city council when the new form of municipal government was put in operation.
GEORGE HUTHMACHER. [Page 725]
Prominent among those men who have advanced their communities by developing the commercial interests of their sections, and to whose efforts must be given the credit for the present high business standing of Southern Illinois, may be mentioned George Huthmacher, a prominent lumber and hardware dealer of Murphysboro, whose entire life has been spent within the confines of Jackson county. A business man of more than ordinary ability, he has proven his worth also as a citizen, and no man stands higher in the respect and esteem of his fellow townsmen. George Huthmacher was born February 1, 1869, at Sandoval, Illinois, and is a brother of Charles Christian Huthmacher.

George Huthmacher's early life was spent at Grand Tower, whence his parents moved when he was not yet two months old, and at this place he grew to manhood, receiving his education in the public schools. In 1888, after completing his studies there, he went to St. Louis to take a course in Bryant & Stratton's Business College, and in 1890, on his return, was appointed deputy sheriff of Jackson county, an office he held until 1894. In 1896 Mr. Huthmacher went to Joplin, Missouri, to engage in the furniture business, but after spending eighteen months there sold out, and in the fall of 1898, with his brother, A. J. Huthmacher, purchased the old Jackson County Lumber Company. In 1905 hardware was added to the company's stock, and the business, under Mr. Huthmacher's management, has grown steadily from its inception, now carrying the largest stock of hardware and lumber in Southern Illinois. In addition to this the brothers are the owners of an asparagus farm of forty acres, the work on which is superintended by A. J. Huthmacher, and the firm also deals to some extent in stock. Mr. Huthmacher has always been possessed of progressive ideas, one of which is that the community in which it is located will grow with it, thus opening a wider field and greater opportunities. Such a policy is bound to benefit any section, and for this reason, if for no other, the firm is a valuable addition to the city's industries. An able and astute business man, Mr. Huthmacher has taken advantage of every opportunity that has presented itself, but his dealings have been along strictly legitimate lines, and his popularity is assured with all who know him. His ability and administrative capability have been recognized by his election to positions of honor and trust, and as a nominee on the Democratic ticket was elected to the office of alderman. Fraternally his connection is with the Elks, and he also holds membership in the Hoos-Hoos, an organization of lumber men.
WILLIAM S. HILL. [Page 732]
The Carbondale Herald, a weekly publication, is a bright, clean, newsy journal, decidedly Republican in its views, and is ably conducted by two gentlemen of talent and ability, William S. Hill, the subject of this sketch, having charge of its editorial department, while his son, Burt E. Hill, is business manager. A son of John McDowell Hill, William S. Hill was born in Monroe county, Illinois, July 10, 1843, coming from Virginian ancestry.

John McDowell Hill was born in Virginia in 1816. Six years later he was brought by his parents to Monroe county, Illinois, where he was brought up and educated. Succeeding to the occupation of his ancestors, he became a tiller of the soil, and continued in that independent occupation until his death, in March, 1845, ere reaching manhood's prime. He was a man of sterling worth, and a member of the Baptist church. He married Nancy Gooding, of Belleville. Illinois, and she survived him upwards of half a century, dying in Jackson county, Illinois, in 1902.

The only son of his parents, William S. Hill was a small child when left fatherless. He lived with his mother in Belleville, Illinois, until seven years of age, when he went to Randolph county, where he was employed on a farm near Percy until 1861. Going to Chester, Illinois, in 1864, he established a small printing business, which he conducted for seven years. From 1868 until 1880 Mr. Hill was engaged as a painting contractor at Steeleville, Illinois, and the following ten years was actively engaged in mercantile pursuits in Cutler, Perry county. Going to DuQuoin, Illinois, in 1890, he founded the DuQuoin Herald, of which he was the manager for two years. Coming to Carbondale in 1892, Mr. Hill started the Carbondale Herald, but soon afterward sold the paper to John H. Barton, and worked in its office as city editor. In 1910, in company with his son, Burt E. Hill, Mr. Hill purchased the paper, and has since continued its editorship.

Mr. Hill married, in Chester, Illinois, in 1865, Eliza Servant. Her father, the late Colonel R. B. Servant, was born at Old Point Comfort, Virginia, in 1801, and died in Chester, Illinois, in 1870. He was a man of much prominence and influence, and in addition to representing his district in the Illinois State Legislature for six years was for several terms judge of Randolph county. Of the eight children born of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hill, seven are living, namely: "W. C., of Chicago; Nancy O., wife of N. S. Weiler; Burt E., business manager of the Herald; Parker L.; Jennie, wife of W. O. Hern, of Carbondale; Samuel G.; and Eva R.

Burt E. Hill was born July 5, 1875, in Randolph county, Illinois, and received his early education in the public schools of that and Jackson counties. Active, industrious, and possessing undoubted executive ability, he is now meeting with well-merited success as business manager of the Carbondale Herald, which he, jointly with his father, owns. A Democrat in politics, he has rendered the city excellent service as an alderman, having represented the Fourth ward for two terms in the City Council. He is a member of the Christian church, and contributes generously towards its support. He married, in 1903, Etta Brantley, who died November 11, 1907, leaving one child, Margaret Hill. Fraternally he is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons, to which his father also belongs; of the Knights of Pythias; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; and to the Modern Woodmen of America.
WILLIAM OSCAR HEARN. [Page 733]
Disease, accident, ordinary sickness "the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to" render necessary in every community good drugs and medicants in sufficient quantities to meet requirements and within easy reach when they are needed, which is often with the utmost haste. The men who deal in these indispensable articles, and deal squarely with the public in handling them, are public benefactors and entitled to high consideration from those who are the beneficiaries of their enterprise.

For this reason, and because of his excellent character as a man, his public spirit and progressiveness as a citizen, his engaging social qualities and his ample and up-to-date provision for the wants of the people in his lines of trade, William O. Hearn, one of the successful and capable druggists of Carbondale, is held in the highest esteem by the residents of the city and the county of Jackson in which it is located. He has been connected with the drug trade in the city but seven years, and merchandising in it on his own account but one, but he has won their confidence by his ability in his chosen line of work and his integrity and square dealing in all his transactions with them.

Mr. Hearn was born in Carbondale, on April 30, 1881, and is a son of William L. and Mary (Pulley) Hearn. The father is a contractor and builder, and the evidences of his skill and capacity in his line of work are to be found in all parts of the city in residence and business structures, and also in some of the more pretentious works of public improvement put up for the enlarged comfort and convenience of the people. He takes a great interest in the growth and progress of the city and county, and is always willing to do all he can to aid in promoting this and providing for the general welfare of the community in every way.

The son received a high-school education, and after being graduated therefrom studied pharmacy at the State University in Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1904. He then returned to his native city and began his business career as a clerk with E. K. Porter. On May 1, 1910, he purchased the E. S. Patten Drug Store, now known as "The Hearn Drug Store," and that name has become synonymous with excellence in goods, skill in pharmacy and uprightness in dealing. This was the first drug store established in Carbondale.

It is to be said to the credit of Mr. Hearn that although he is still a young man in years and much younger, even, in business, he is very enterprising both in studying the wants of the community and in providing for them; and also that he is not only skillful but conscientious in the application of his science to the practical requirements of his trade. His prescription department is directly under his personal supervision at all times, and is all that full knowledge and the utmost care can make it in the purity of its drugs and the manner in which they are compounded.

On June 21, 1905, Mr. Hearn was united in marriage with Miss Jennie S. Hill, a daughter of W. S. Hill, editor of the Southern Illinois Herald, one of the wide-awake and progressive newspapers published in Carbondale. Mr. Hearn is a deacon in the Christian church and the secretary of its Sunday-school. Fraternally he is a Freemason, a Modern Woodmen of America and a Knight of Pythias, and at this time (1911) is chancellor commander of his lodge in the order last named.
GEORGE H. HUFFMAN. [Page 734]
Rapidly the ranks of those who took active part in the Civil war are thinning. One after another the gray-haired veterans are going to join their comrades in a land where bloodshed and suffering are unknown. Comparatively few of the defenders of the flag in the 'sixties are now left who are able to hold their own in the keen struggle of present-day commercial life. Physical infirmities have long since compelled the great majority of the survivors to drop out of the race. Yet here and there are to be found exceptions. Now and then a sturdy old warrior is found whose eye is as bright and whose step is as firm as those of the younger generation, and who yet finds keen enjoyment in a struggle in which he is pitted against the sons and grandsons of his comrades of other days. Such a man is George H. Huffman, the well-known stock buyer and dealer of Vienna, who, although more than sixty-six years of age, has declined to fall behind in the rapid march of American progress, and stands today a sturdy type of American enterprise. Mr. Huffman was born December 30, 1845, on a farm in Guilford county, North Carolina, and is a son of Hillary and Salome (Clapp) Huffman, and a grandson of Joshua Huffman, whose father was a native of Germany.

Hillary Huffman took his family from North Carolina to western Tennessee, and from the latter locality, in 1860, to Johnson county, on account of his Union sympathies. Settling on a farm near Vienna, Mr. Huffman engaged in agricultural pursuits, and there his death occurred at about the time of the close of the Civil war. He and his wife had children as follows: John J., Catherine Elizabeth and Sarah Ellen, all of whom are deceased; George H.; Mary Ann, who died in infancy; J. C., who lives in Grand Tower, Jackson county; and Mrs. Alice Meredith, who resides in Lincoln. Nebraska.

George H. Huffman received a common school education, and when still a lad learned to operate machinery, his first employment being in his father's mill in North Carolina. In the spring of 1863 he enlisted in Company G, Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry, under Captain William Prickens and Colonel Capron, in General Sherman's army. His first service was around Knoxville, Tennessee, from whence he went to Big Shanty, Kenesaw Mountain, served around Atlanta and Macon, and participated in the famous "March to the Sea." At Mulberry Creek, Georgia, he was taken prisoner by the enemy, and was confined for eight months and seven days in various Confederate prisons. He was at the terrible place of confinement at Andersonville, and when removed to Charleston he and his fellow-prisoners suffered the dangers and agony of mind of being under the bombardment of their own troops. He was then taken to Florence, South Carolina, and eventually to Goldsboro, North Carolina, and from the latter place succeeded in making a daring escape. From eight hundred to one thousand men were under the supervision of three lines of guards, the prisoners' camp being located near a pine woods. Mr. Huffman discovered that a large pine tree had fallen over the line of the wall, and during the night climbed into the branches, and under the cover of darkness worked his way out. At nine o'clock he found himself in a ravine, and during that day managed to place three miles between himself and his pursuers. He was then hidden by Lazarus Pearson, a Quaker farmer, at whose home he remained for seven days, when he was given the Friend's exception papers, for which the good man had paid the Confederacy the sum of five hundred dollars. With Henry Preston, a fellow-refugee, to whom had been given the Quaker's son-in-law's papers, and accompanied by Pearson's two daughters, Mr. Huffman then went through the Confederate cavalry lines. Later, at Wilmington, North Carolina, with William Pickens and a Mr. Cox, Mr. Huffman was again captured with a gang of recruits, but during the next day managed to get away at Newbern, which was held by the Union forces. From thence he went to Annapolis and safety, and was sent from that point to the barracks at Camp Butler, where he was mustered out of the service in the spring of 1865. At the beginning of his career Mr. Huffman served as a scout for the Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry, the Seventh Tennessee Cavalry, the Fifth Iowa Cavalry and the Fourth Illinois. Cavalry, and while engaged in this service in Carroll county, Tennessee, received a wound in his right thigh which many years later developed into a large tumor, which it was necessary to remove.

After his gallant and faithful service Mr. Huffman returned to the occupations of peace and developed into an excellent citizen. His first employment was at the blacksmith trade, which he followed until 1869, being engaged by contractors on the Big Four Railroad at Tunnell Hill when that railroad was under construction, and there his knowledge of machinery stood him in good stead. After this he engaged in farming and the implement and farm machinery business, subsequently opening a mine at New Burnside, which he operated for three years, but sold it on the completion of the railroad, and in 1873 moved to a farm of two hundred acres located in Simpson township. In 1879 Mr. Huffman took his family to Metropolis, in order that his children might be educated under Professor Bowlby, and continued to live there until 1884, Mr. Huffman in the meantime managing his farm as well as a sawmill in Johnson county. He returned to the farm in 1884, and for a few years conducted an implement business as well as a meat and produce enterprise in Vienna, but gradually gave up his other interests as his livestock business grew, and to this he now gives the greater part of his time and attention, the farm having been sold in 1905. His livestock business now totals sixty carloads or sixty thousand dollars annually, while he does an annual business in horses and mules that amounts to fifteen thousand dollars. He owns one of the finest residence properties in Vienna, valued at three thousand five hundred dollars. On February 7, 1894, Mr. Huffman met with a serious accident, in which he lost his left arm, but he has not allowed this handicap to interfere with his business activities. A public-spirited citizen who is always ready to do his share in looking after the interests of his community, Mr. Huffman served as treasurer of Johnson county for four years, beginning in 1899. However, he has not been a seeker after the spectacular, but has kept the even tenor of his way. He has been content with the ordinary rewards of life, and thus it is that we find him today one of the few of his generation who are still able to continue the daily routine of business. He belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic, and is very popular with the comrades of Vienna post, while his religious connection is with the Methodist Episcopal church.

In 1870 Mr. Huffman was married to Miss Marian Jones, daughter of the Hon. Thomas Jones, former representative and a leading man of his day in Johnson county. Twelve children have been born to this union, of whom nine survive, as follows: Mrs. Marion McConnell; Mrs. Gertrude Allard; Mrs. Clara Gillespie; Mrs. Dollie Palmer; Mrs. Daisy Carter; Mrs. Mamie Eagan, of Chicago; Mrs. Pearl Whielen, of Steger, Illinois; Charles G., an attorney of Vienna, Illinois; and Frances Marion.
SAMUEL H. REES. [Page 736]
The modern pharmacist is a man of many callings, for he is expected to bear upon his shoulders the burden and responsibilities of others, and not only must he understand his own profession thoroughly, but he must be able to rectify and detect the occasional blunders of the medical fraternity, to give kindly advice to those unwilling or unable to call in a physician, and to at all times place his establishment and time at the disposal of the general public. The course of training is long and arduous and the fitting up of a modern store expensive, and no other line of human endeavor demands such prolonged hours of service, so that the pharmacist of today, in order to be successful, must be a man whose love of his chosen vocation is placed above all other things. One who has proven worthy of the trust and confidence placed in him, and a man who has been prominent in public life, is Samuel H. Rees, owner of the only pharmacy at Belknap, a man than whom there is no more highly esteemed nor popular citizen in the community. He was born on a farm in Jackson county, Illinois, March 11, 1861, and is a son of the late Dr. Alonzo P. and Jane (Krews) Rees.

James L. Rees, the grandfather of Samuel H. Rees, was a native of Virginia, of German descent, who migrated to Tennessee and thence to Jackson county, Illinois, where he became one of the earliest settlers. Dr. Alonzo P. Rees was born and reared in Tennessee, and as a young man took up the study of medicine, which he practiced for many years in Jackson, Johnson and Pulaski counties. He was one of the earliest practitioners of this section, and at the time of his death, in 1887, when he was fifty-eight years of age, no man was better known or more sincerely liked in this part of the state. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Jane Krews, was born and reared in Jackson county, and died in 1895, at the age of fifty-six years. They had a family of seven children, as follows: Samuel H.; John D., who is engaged in the clothing and general merchandise business at Owensboro, Kentucky; H. F., who is a United States rural free delivery carrier; Mary D., the wife of Samuel D. Peeler, one of the leading agriculturists of Cache township; Martha P., wife of T. E. Williamson, of Claremore, Oklahoma; Anna, the wife of J. D. Copeland, of Blythesville, Arkansas; and Nellie, the wife of W. P. Weeks, of Joppa, Illinois. Samuel H. Rees spent his boyhood on the home farm and attended the district schools until he was fifteen years of age, at which time he came to Belknap and secured employment as a clerk in the drug store, also attending school in the winter and doing sawmill work until he was twenty years of age. In 1881 he took a position in a drug store at Vienna, where he remained until 1884, and then went to Murphysboro, where he followed the same line until the summer of 1886. At this time he came to Belknap and purchased the business which he has continued to conduct for the past quarter of a century, his popularity being so great with the people of his community that no rival establishment has offered competition. Until 1910 he was the owner of a farm near Belknap, but in that year disposed of it, and he also has engaged in life insurance work, but the major part of his attention has been given to his pharmacy. He has a full and up-to-date line of drugs, proprietary medicines, and other articles usually found in a first-class drug establishment, and his business extends all over Belknap and the surrounding country. He is the owner of his own residence and the building in which his business is carried on. A stanch Republican, Mr. Rees has, up to a year or so ago, taken an active interest in the success of his party, in the ranks of which he has ever been a willing and faithful worker. Enjoying to the fullest degree the friendship and confidence of the men high up in the councils of the party, he has always sought rather to assist his friends than himself, although at various times he has been mayor, alderman and school director of Belknap, and has shown marked executive ability. He started in life without a dollar, his business in Belknap having been opened on borrowed capital, with no other security than his personal word, but he was soon able to repay the loan and to build up a profitable business. He has been, however, a man of many charities, and in giving assistance to his friends has often embarrassed himself in a financial way. A faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church, Mr. Rees has been liberal in supporting its movements, and, being a modest, unassuming and unostentations man, the extent of his charities will probably never be known. Fraternally he is popular with the members of the Masons, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Odd Fellows and the Tribe of Ben Hur, to all of which he belongs. During ing President Cleveland's first administration Mr. Rees was appointed postmaster at Belknap, and again, on August 1, 1902, he received the appointment to that position, serving therein until April 15, 1911.

In 1885 Mr. Rees was married to Miss Ella Hartman, of Chester, Illinois, daughter of Tobias and Mary A. Hartman, the former of whom is now deceased, while the latter resides in Washington, D. C., and six children have been born to this union, namely: Walter A., a Methodist minister at Gillette, Arkansas, who is married and has a son, William; Guy H., a barber by trade, and now an attendant at the hospital at Kankakee; Mrs. Blanche Carter, who has one child, Glen; Theodore, a carpenter by trade, who resides at Gillette, Arkansas; and Edith and Helen, who reside at home with their parents.
AURELIUS GREEN HUGHES. [Page 737]
The shadow of adversity hung darkly over this valued citizen and public official of Carbondale even before his birth. Its gloomy pall continued to droop around him in his childhood and youth, and was never lifted until by his own efforts he totally dispelled it by boldly challenging Fate to do her worst and making his own way in the world to consequence and standing among men by his own efforts and in spite of her displeasure. When she found out the mettle he was made of, and realized that he did not tremble under her frowns, she changed her demeanor toward him, as if weary of tormenting him, and became all smiles and generosity.

Mr. Hughes was born in Franklin county, Illinois, on April 8, 1862, and is the son of Granville and Adaville (Clark) Hughes, natives of Tennessee. The father was a farmer in that state, and prospering as such according to the standard of his time and locality. But he was not spared to continue his labors and put himself in a position to make any provision for his family after his death. This occurred sometime before his son Aurelius was born, and after the sad event the mother moved to Illinois. She died soon after giving birth to her son, and he was left in early infancy to the care of an uncle. This relative reared him to the age of twenty-one, and gave him such school facilities as his circumstances allowed. The uncle, E. L. Hughes, was a farmer in Jackson county, this state, but had a struggle for his own advancement, and the nephew was obliged to take his part in the work of the farm and make his schooling secondary to that. He did not repine at this, for he felt within him the stirring of a spirit of enterprise and self-reliance which kept him inspired with the hope of better things, and he has since realized them.

After attaining his majority Aurelius G. Hughes worked in mines four years, and then returned to farming. For three years he worked industriously and to good purpose on farms he rented, then bought a farm on credit. As he paid for one tract of land he purchased another, and kept on in this way until he owned 200 acres. He was living at that time in Williamson county, and there he bought and sold a great deal of land, becoming a considerable dealer in real estate of an agricultural character. All the while his fortunes were mending and he was forging ahead in the struggle for progress among men. He gave his own affairs close and careful attention, but did not neglect the public interests of the county in which he lived, and devoted to them a fair share of his time and energy. For many years he served his locality as school director, and for nine as road commissioner. That his services were faithful, intelligent and progressive, and that the community found them highly useful is proven by the universal appreciation in which they were held and the warm commendations passed upon them by all classes of the people.

In 1902 he moved to Carbondale and became the proprietor of a hotel, the Hundley House. He managed his business in this enterprise with his customary energy and close attention to every detail, and was making an extended reputation for the house, when a disastrous fire destroyed it and its contents a few months after he took charge of it, and he once more became a tiller of the soil, also engaging in the livery business. He was not dismayed by his misfortune, and lost no time in repining over it. He went at his farming operations and livery trade as if he meant to make them compensate him for what the fire had robbed him of, and he did it in the course of time.

In 1907 Mr. Hughes was elected county supervisor of Jackson county. He was re-elected in 1909 and again in 1911, and has been chairman of the board during the 1909 and 1911 terms. His services in this position have been well and wisely rendered, and are accounted as of great advantage to the county. They have been twice submitted to the judgment of the people, and in both cases have been handsomely approved by them. To those who know the facts the reason is patent enough. He is intelligent, progressive and knowing, and he applies all his powers to the work of his office, just as he does to his own affairs. He is prudent and careful, too, of the public funds at the command of the board, and as the county receives good work and secures excellent results from his official industry without any extravagant outlay, its people cannot but be well pleased, and they do not hesitate to say they are.

Mr. Hughes was married on September 30, 1884, to Miss Clara Clark of Carbondale. They have two children: Harmon A., who is associated with his father in conducting the operations of the farm; and Louis D., who is a physician in active practice at Delaware, Oklahoma. He was graduated from the medical department of the St. Louis University at the age of twenty-one.

The father is a Republican in politics and active in the service of his party, although he never allows partisan considerations to outweigh his sense of duty in the administration of his office. In connection with that his first concern is the welfare of the people, and he has no other. In fraternal circles he belongs to the Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Carbondale Lodge of Elks, and takes an earnest interest and an active part in the proceedings of all his lodges. He is one of the Jackson county's most reliable and useful citizens.
JAMES MARCUS ETHERTON. [Page 759]
Merchant, public official, banker and promoter, and influential factor for the good of his city, county and state in many ways, James M. Etherton, of Carbondale, is well and favorably known in all parts of Illinois as one of the leading citizens of his county and one of the most progressive and public spirited men in the state. He has turned his hand to several different lines of activity and made a good record in them all; succeeding where others have failed or won but moderate triumphs; expanding small enterprises into affairs of moment; arresting public thought and action and forcing it into line with his own for the general welfare, and generally exhibiting the highest traits of broad-minded, enterprising and highly serviceable citizenship.

Mr. Etherton has a special interest in Carbondale from the fact that he was born and reared in the country near Carbondale and began his education in its schools. It has also been the seat of all his business operations, and is in its present-day development and strident progress largely the creature of his energy and stimulating and directing intelligence. His life began here on April 5, 1862, and he is a son of William and Miami (Reynolds) Etherton, prosperous farmers of Jackson during the lifetime of the father. The father, who died some years ago, was born in Jackson county, Illinois. The mother, who is still living, is a native of England, and the father's ancestors were also residents of that country for many generations. The mother is a relative of former Governor Reynolds of this state.

Their son James M. grew to manhood in Carbondale. He completed his education at the Southern Illinois Normal University, from which he was graduated in 1899. After leaving school he started in business as a merchant in charge of a general store, and he is still connected with that line of mercantile life, and conducting his trade on a large scale. He is also one of the three owners of the William T. Phelps Land and Coal Company and its manager. The holdings of the company are located in Saline county, Illinois, and embrace fourteen hundred acres of choice mineral deposit and land valuable for other purposes. The mines on this land are undeveloped as yet.

In addition to his other possessions Mr. Etherton owns a considerable block of the stock of what is now the Carbondale National Bank, and is its president, an office which he has held for a number of years, and filled with great credit to himself and benefit to the city and county in which it is located. He has largely increased its resources, patronage and usefulness and made it one of the leading financial institutions in the southern part of Illinois, with a record second to none for progressiveness in business and wisdom and prudence in management.

Mr. Etherton is a firm and faithful Democrat in his political faith and allegiance, and one of the strongest men in ability and influence in his party. He served as a member of the Carbondale school board three years and two terms as a member of the city council. He has also served two terms as a member of the city council. He has also served two terms in the lower house of the state legislature as a representative of the Forty-fourth legislative district, and in this office he showed his interest in the state and its people in a very conspicuous and beneficial way with excellent results.

In the house to which he was twice elected he served on the committees on appropriations, education, fish and game, the geological survey, and banks and banking. He introduced and secured the passage of a bill making an appropriation for the erection of the Woman's Building at the Southern Illinois Normal University. He took an earnest interest in this bill and worked it through the house by a hard fight in which he was obliged to battle for every foot of his ground. He also secured appropriations for other extensive public improvements, and labored arduously to promote not only the cause of education but every other interest of the people of the state. In consequence of his extended public service he has become acquainted with every party man of prominence in both of the leading political organizations, and it is greatly to his credit that he is cordially esteemed by them all.

On the 21st of September, 1884, he was united in marriage with Miss Levina Jane Lee, of Pomona, a daughter of Dr. A. M. Lee of that city. Three children have been born of the union, all of whom are living. They are Leona, Ruby and James Everett. The parents are devoted members of the Baptist church, and the father has been one of the trustees of the congregation to which they belong during the last seven years. Both are active workers in the church, with responsive hearts and open hands for all the demands its benevolent and Christianizing agencies make upon them, and ready at all times to perform any duty they can in its service or for the benefit of those to whom it ministers. They are among the best and most useful citizens of Jackson county, and are universally recognized as in that class and esteemed accordingly.
CARBONDALE NATIONAL BANK. [Page 761]
The Carbondale National Bank is an outgrowth of a much humbler and more unambitious financial institution, which was known as the Jackson State Bank, and was founded in October, 1898. Its officers were: S. W. Dunaway, president; W. W. Clemens, vice president, and F. T. Joyner, cashier. The capital stock was twenty-five thousand dollars, and on this basis the bank did a good business of considerable magnitude and with excellent service and steady benefits to the city of Carbondale and county of Jackson.

But in time the demands outgrew its resources, and in February, 1905, it was reorganized as The Carbondale National Bank, with a capital stock of sixty thousand dollars and a surplus of twelve thousand dollars. The present officers are: James Etherton, president; F. M. Hewitt, vice president, and Chas A. Gullett, cashier. The wisdom of the reorganization and enlargement of the institution has been amply shown in the increased advantages it has provided for the city and its people, and the alacrity with which they have made use of them. The deposits at this time (1911) amount to two hundred and sixty-five thousand dollars, and the business of the bank is very extensive, active and comprehensive.

The institution conducts a general banking business, embracing every approved feature of modern banking, and meets all requirements with promptness and in the most satisfactory manner. It has a savings department and pays four per cent interest on time deposits. The business is conducted on the first floor of a fine three-story brick building, twenty-six by one hundred feet in dimensions, which it owns. The second and third floors are devoted to office and lodge purposes, and are much in demand for the uses for which they were designed, as they are, like the portion of the edifice used by the bank, modern in every respect, and provided with every convenience and desirable feature in equipment.

A brief sketch of the life of James M. Etherton, the president of the bank, will be found preceding this article. He is accounted one of the best business men in the county, and his services to the bank have been striking in their magnitude and value. He has aided greatly in popularizing the bank, increasing the volume of its business and augmenting its strength and reputation in banking circles locally and throughout the state. In his management of its affairs he combines a serviceable progressiveness with a prudent conservatism, making the institution as liberal in its policy and dealings as due care for absolute safety will allow, but never risking anything beyond this limit, however great the temptation or bright the promise, although eager at all times to secure for it all the patronage and profit he can. He conducts the bank as he does his private interests, and with as much care for its stockholders and depositors as he exercises for himself in the management of his own business.
JOHN GRAHAM MULCASTER, [Page 761]
agent of the Illinois Central Railroad at Makanda, Illinois, and a citizen who has been identified with the realty interests of Southern Illinois for some years, is a veteran of the Spanish-American war, and a member of an English family of great antiquity, which traces its lineage back to the year 1066. His father, Richard Mulcaster, was a son of Thomas Mulcaster, a younger brother of Lord Mulcaster, of Ravenglass, England, and the family home in England, "Brackenthewaite,” an estate of one thousand acres, has been in the possession of the family for more than six hundred years. Mr. Mulcaster was born October 1, 1876, in Monroe county, Illinois.

Richard Mulcaster was born at Carlisle, county Cumberland, England, June 1, 1829, and received excellent educational advantages, being sent to Oxford College, but before graduating therefrom enlisted in the English navy during the Crimean war, and served until the close of that struggle. On his return to England he was for two years engaged in civil engineering, and then went to Toronto, Canada, and later, in 1857, to Troy, where he assisted in laying out the town. He then returned to his native country, but at the time of the breaking out of the Civil war came to the United States, and remained in New Orleans until the close of the war, being employed by the Confederate Government as a civil engineer, although he never enlisted in the Southern army. When the war had closed he came North, and settled in Monroe county on the Mississippi river, near Modoc, where he purchased a farm, but subsequently removed to Waterloo, Illinois, and became a school teacher and justice of the peace. In 1884 he located in Jackson county, purchasing a farm in Degonia township, and there carried on agricultural pursuits and conducted a general merchandise store until 1892, when he retired from activities. His death occurred in Murphysboro, March 4, 1894. In 1867 Mr. Mulcaster was married to Miss Mary Ilickman, at Kimmswick, Jefferson county, Missouri, and she is still living, making her home at St. Louis, and has been the mother of seven children, of whom John Graham is the fourth in order of birth. She is a member of the Episcopal church, of which her late husband was also an attendant, and his political belief was that of the Republican party. Mrs. Mulcaster, in 1849, when a child, was a member of a party bound for California in prairie schooners, journeying via St. Joseph, Missouri, and Salt Lake, and this same party followed on the heels of the one which was exterminated in the Mountain Meadow massacre.

John Graham Mulcaster attended the country schools of which his father was the teacher from the time he was six years old until he was ten, at which early age he entered the Murphysboro High School, and was graduated therefrom four years later. He then secured employment in the general office of the St. Louis Ore and Steel Company, where he worked eighteen months, and then became an employe of the Western Union Telegraph Company, remaining one year and completing a course in telegraphy. Leaving that firm, Mr. Mulcaster went to work for the Mobile & Ohio Railroad, where he spent three years as an operator, resigning to accept a position with the Illinois Central Railroad, with which he was connected at the time of the outbreak of the Spanish-American war. Enlisting in the Seventh United States Signal Corps, under Captain J. B. Inman, of Springfield, Mr. Mulcaster served in General Shafter's army at Santiago, Cuba, and then went with General Miles' expedition to Porto Rico, remaining there until the close of the war, after which he assisted in putting in the telegraph service throughout that island. He was mustered out of the service at Chicago, in December, 1898, and shortly thereafter re-entered the service of the Illinois Central as railroad agent at Herrin. Since that time he has held the same positions at various stations, and is now located at Makanda. Mr. Mulcaster has invested his money in real estate, and now owns considerable property at various places in Illinois and Oklahoma.

On May 6, 1900, Mr. Mulcaster was married to Miss Ella Walker, of Carterville, Illinois, daughter of J. B. Walker, a prominent farmer. Mr. Mulcaster is an earnest worker in the ranks of the Republican party, and his loyalty has been rewarded by election to the offices of alderman and village clerk. He is a member of the ancient and august order, A. F. & A. M., of the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias, and he and Mrs. Mulcaster attend the Baptist church. In all matters pertaining to the welfare of his adopted locality Mr. Mulcaster has shown the greatest interest, and his aid and influence may always be counted upon to forward movements of a progressive nature. He is widely known through Southern Illinois, and wherever he has been stationed has had hosts of friends.

Templates in Time