1912 History of Southern Illinois
Volume II

P. J. KELLER. [Page 964]
For many years actively identified with the advancement of the agricultural interests of Jackson county, P. J. Keller, through industry and good management, has acquired a fair share of this world's goods, and is now spending the sunset years of his long and useful life in pleasant leisure and true comfort, enjoying the fruits of his early labors. A native of Germany, he was born near the river Rhine and in close proximity to the border line of France, his birth occurring December 7, 1838. He is a son of the late Andrew Keller, and is of French ancestry, the Keller family having originated in France. His grandfather Keller served as a soldier in the army of Napoleon Bonaparte, his home having been on the French line. His great-grandfather on the paternal side, a refugee from France, fled from Paris to Switzerland, Frederick the Good having urged the refugees to populate his country.

Andrew Keller was born, in 1812, in Germany, near France, on der Rhinefels, and there grew to manhood and married. With his family he afterwards immigrated to America, settling first in Waterloo, Illinois, where he lived a few years. Locating near Red Bud, Randolph county, in 1853, he was for a time engaged in agricultural pursuits. Disposing of his farm, he went from there to Jackson county, and later to Perry county. His first wife dying in 1846, he subsequently lived in various places, moving frequently. During the Civil war, although then an old man, he responded to the last call for volunteers, enlisting in the Eighty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and died while with his regiment, his body being laid to rest in the National Cemetery at Corinth, Mississippi. A man of strong personality, liberal-minded and progressive, he invariably commanded the respect and regard of his neighbors and associates, and in whatever community he lived was always a leader.

Andrew Keller was twice married. He married first, in his native land, Elizabeth Hoch, who bore him six children, as follows: Philip, deceased; Barabara, deceased; Phoebe, deceased; P. J., the special subject of this sketch; John, deceased; and Peter, a resident of Willisville, Illinois. She died in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1846. He married again, in 1847, Catherine Havel, a native of Germany, and of their union two children were born, namely: Henry; and Elizabeth, deceased. Of his third marriage there was one child, a daughter.

A lad of seven years when he crossed the ocean with his parents, P. J. Keller had but limited educational advantages, his book knowledge, with the exception of an attendance of three months at a subscription school, having been acquired by careful home study and intelligent reading. Through his own efforts he has become well versed in law, but his professional practice has been confined to the local justice courts. Soon after attaining his majority Mr. Keller, who had been brought up in Monroe and Randolph counties, came to Jackson county, and for a time followed the carpenter's trade. Soon after the outbreak of the Civil war he responded to a call for troops, and was mustered into Company C, Eighteenth Illinois Infantry, and at the expiration of his term of enlistment was mustered out, by consolidation of the companies, of Company A, of the same regiment. He was listed to promotion from the ranks of his superiors, but having refused to join the Knights of the Golden Circle he was refused a commission.

Returning home after the war, Mr. Keller embarked in agricultural pursuits, and was actively and prosperously engaged in general farming until 1899, when, having accomplished a satisfactory work, he retired from business pursuits, although at times he still practices law to some extent. For many years he was one of the wide-awake, successful auctioneers of the county, and cried sales throughout a large territory.

Politically Mr. Keller is a Democrat, but he has never been an aspirant for official honors, being, in fact, strenuously opposed to office holding. He is a true optimist, being firmly convinced that everything in nature and the history of mankind is so ordered as to produce in the universe the best possible conditions only, and the highest good. He is a friend of the people, and is held in the highest esteem, being looked upon by his neighbors as a sort of "patron saint." His religion, he says, is to do right as God has given him light to interpret the right, a doctrine that if followed surely adds to the betterment of the world and to the uplifting of mankind.

Mr. Keller married first, March 8, 1860, Elizabeth Bradley, daughter of Frank Bradley, a prominent farmer of Jackson county, and of their union six children were born, as follows: ~W. H., a school teacher in Idaho; P. Ferdinand, of Ava, Illinois; Kent E., of St. Louis, Missouri, a graduate of the Southern Illinois Normal and who read law in St. Louis and was admitted to the bar in Illinois; Harry Bradley, engaged in farming at Ava; Mrs. Effie Afton, of Idaho; and Elizabeth, who died in infancy. The mother of these children passed to the life beyond in 1874. Two years later Mr. Keller married Mrs. Martha Hamilton, and to them two children were born, namely: Mrs. Ida L. Finnegan, living in Old Mexico; and George A., deceased. Mrs. Martha Keller died about ten years after her marriage with Mr. Keller. He subsequently married for his third wife Mrs. Charity Crews, who died in 1891, leaving one child, Louise Keller.
JAMES M. JONES [Page 966]
James M. Jones has been actively identified with affairs in Coulterville for over half a century. He has been a positive factor in its business life and has contributed of his capital and his energy toward the substantial development of the community. It was his initiative that developed the first real industry of the place during and upon the heels of the Civil war. It was his yearning for achievement that prompted his burrowing down into the vitals of the earth in search of coal, and which resulted in uncovering a mineral deposit which gives Coulterville its real life throb today, and in a myriad of other minor ways he has become a powerful influence in the life of his locality.

Mr. Jones was born in Jackson county, Illinois, on the 16th of February, 1839. While he was still a babe in arms his parents moved to old Eden, Randolph county, and there in the healthy atmosphere of country life he spent his youth. His father, Andrew Jones, was born in Randolph county, Illinois, in 1815, the son of an Andrew Jones, who had migrated to this part of the country during the early years of 1800.

Andrew Jones, Sr., was a native of South Carolina, the date of his birth being near the close of the Revolution. He evidently had some education, for he served as justice of the peace, and his appointment by the Government as one of the commissioners to select a location in the west for the Cherokee reservation indicates clearly that he was a man of standing in the community and that he had an unusual knowledge of the country both geographically and economically. On first coming to Illinois the savagery of the Indians forced him to make his home in the old "block house" near Steeleville. While living here he held the relations of a trader with the tribes, learning their language, fighting them with both strategy and fire arms, able to don the dress and play the part of the red man when occasion demanded. His long and active life, came to a close during the Civil war.

Among the children of this brave old fighter was his son Andrew. Like his father, the son was a tiller of the soil, and he also resembled him in his knowledge of the habits of the Indians. His wife was Martha Marshall, whose father, William Marshall, had braved the unknown dangers of the broad Ohio and had brought his family down the river in a box boat to Shawneetown, not knowing at what moment the uncertain craft might be caught in a fatal current or sunk on a hidden snag. On making a safe landing at last the father brought his family across the country to the old Eden locality. The mother of these brave pioneers was Martha Marshall.

His intimate knowledge of Indian lore made Andrew Jones a valuable soldier during the campaign of the Black Hawk war. The campaign of 1832 proved to be fatal to him, for he died in 1842 from the effects of an arrow wound received during that year. His children numbered three. The eldest, Paul Jones, was captain of Company A, of the Eighteenth Illinois Infantry, during the Civil war. He had been a blacksmith during the years previous to the war, and after its close he returned to his forge in Tilden, where he later died, leaving two sons. The second son went to Texas in the early part of 1861, and is there believed to have lost his life in conflict with the Southern forces. The youngest was James M. After the death of Andrew Jones his widow married George Brown, who was a native of South Carolina and had fought through the Revolution. His death occurred several years before the Civil war, and his widow continued to live in Coulterville until her death, in 1895.

Because of the unsettled condition of public affairs and for domestic reasons James M. Jones' education was very limited. He was early in life selected for a blacksmith and was bound to one Joseph Bates. He subsequently had a disagreement with his master and left him, later going to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where he had a thorough training in his trade while working in an edge tool factory. No sooner did he find himself equipped for the struggle with life than the outbreak of the Civil war called him back to Illinois to enlist in the ranks of the Blue. With others he was soon ordered discharged, but was later drafted into a regiment that was sent into Missouri in pursuit of General Price's army, which was then making one of its famous raids into that state. After some months his service ended and he returned to his trade at Coulterville.

The trade of a blacksmith was a very profitable one during the years following, for the demand for war materials and later for the tools with which to again start the pursuits of peace made his shop pay from the start, and he was soon employing a force of assistants. He foretold the demand for plows and erected a small factory for their manufacture. He foresaw the demand for wagons and began their manufacture. He brought the first lathe for turning iron to Coulterville, and, endeavoring to meet the demands made upon him, equipped his factory, located upon the corner of his block, with the most modern tools of his craft. Until 1870 he did a thriving business, but at this time he was forced into competition with the capitalized interests and with the installation of costly machinery, and these factors necessitated the closing of his shop.

In 1872 Mr. Jones turned his attention to the mineral field. He and Hugh Kennedy, his father-in-law and a prosperous farmer, sank a shaft just east of Coulterville and found coal at the depth of about three hundred feet. With his partner, Hugh Kennedy, he worked the mine and became an operator of note in this district. After the death of Hugh Kennedy, J. Qi Nesbit bought his interest; when the Consolidated Coal Company, of St. Louis, made overtures for purchasing the plant they sold out to them, and Mr. Jones then bought a farm of two hundred acres west of Coulterville, where he sank a shaft. Since that time he has been a mine owner and operator. He is also interested in agriculture, owning several farms adjacent to his town, but he is a farmer only by proxy.

As has been pointed out, James M. Jones has led a busy and strenuous life. His success as a financier has commended him to the public as a safe and sane executor of public affairs, yet he has refrained from mixing in official matters, save for his service as justice of the peace. He has been three times elected to that minor office but has permitted his colleague to perform the bulk of the work coming before a magistrate.

He was married west of Coulterville, Illinois, on the 8th of August, 1861, to Miss Margaret J. Kennedy, a daughter of Hugh Kennedy. Their only son is Lewis Jones, manager of the Jones mining property. He married Miss Lizzie Dickey on January 22, 1896.

In his spiritual beliefs Mr. James M. Jones is not orthodox. His fathers were of the strict Covenanter faith; but he found it impossible to conform to the tenets of their creed and his practices and professions have deviated from the "straight and narrow way." In politics he is a Republican. He believes. in the survival of the fittest, as applied to men in the industries and the trades, and is jealous of no man because of his honorable business achievements. Whatever a man produces by his own skill or by his own capital is yielded to him for his own enjoyment and no human legislation should attempt to deprive him of its use. There is no temporizing with socialism, a mild form of anarchy with James M. Jones, and his doctrines are calculated to restore confidence among men, stifle the spirit of unrest in the ranks of labor and place the whole business fabric of the country upon a sound and healthy basis. Mr. and Mrs. James M. Jones celebrated their golden wedding anniversary August 8, 1911. They have lived in Coulterville over fifty years, and have the distinction of being the only couple who have lived continuously in the city for over half a century. They are highly esteemed by their acquaintances.
FINIS ELIHU BONE. [Page 975]
The stock-raising industry of Jackson county has only been developed within a few short years, but during that time its progress has been remarkable. It is true that for a .number of decades farmers have, in a desultory manner, raised stock of an indifferent breed, but the genuine, thoroughbred, prize-winning animals which are now being raised in this section, and for which fancy prices are paid in the leading markets, made their advent here only comparatively a short time ago. The man to whom the credit for the present desirable condition of the stock-raising business may be given is Finis Elihu Bone, of Ava, who has stimulated interest in this line to such an extent that several stock shows have been largely attended here and have been voted unqualified successes. Finis Elihu Bone was born in Menard county, Illinois, December 12, 1855, and is a son of Robert Smith and Nancy (McCoy) Bone, and grandson of Elihu Bone, at one time a member of the Illinois state legislature.

Robert Smith Bone was born in Tennessee, and as a young man left home to seek his fortune in Menard county. Engaging in farming and stock-raising, he became one of the successful men of his day, was known as a judge of cattle, and for years was engaged in raising fancy cattle for the market. He was just as well known as a leader in the work of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and could always be counted to do his full share, both with his influence and means, in forwarding movements which had for their object the advancement of religion in his community. Mr. Bone married Miss Nancy McCoy, and they had a family of five sons and three daughters, Finis Elihu being the third son. The second son was David McCoy Bone, famous in his college days as stroke of the Yale varsity crew, and now a well known Kansas banker. Both Robert S. and Nancy Bone are deceased.

Finis Elihu Bone spent his early life in Menard county, assisting his father in the work on the home farm and attending the public schools. His father was a great believer in the value of education, giving his children the best of advantages along this line, and Finis E. was sent to Lincoln University, Lincoln, Illinois, preparing himself for Yale. His health gave away, however, and instead of attending the famous university he returned to the home farm and continued to engage in agricultural pursuits. Becoming interested in the breeding of thoroughbred stock, Mr. Bone turned his attention to it, and after considerable study began to experiment. His success soon convinced him that the standard of cattle in this section could be raised considerably and soon began to demonstrate his views. In 1903 he came to Jackson county, to endeavor to interest the agriculturists of this section. The work was slow at first, and the farmers hard to convince, but when they had once seen the result of his work they became enthusiastic, and he soon had a following of no inconsiderable size. Several years ago he concluded it would stimulate interest in the business to promote a stock show, and largely on account of local capitalists being afraid to furnish the backing necessary to finance such a proposition, he went into the enterprise almost alone, and the success he achieved fully justified his foresight. During 1911 the Ava Live Stock Show had become such an institution that it created a great interest in the surrounding country, and in this, of course, Mr. Bone was very influential. He has himself been an exhibitor at the expositions, and has also won prizes for his Chester White hogs at the national stock shows, and is at present holder of the first prize for dressed hogs, which he won from several international shows. As a pioneer in this kind of work, Mr. Bone deserves the greatest credit, and his enterprise and progressive spirit have been the means through which a new and extensive industry has been opened up in this section. Thoroughly conversant with every detail of the business, he is being continually consulted as to the best methods to apply, and through his excellent advice has assisted others in becoming successful.

Mr. Bone is a member of the Presbyterian church, in which he has been a faithful worker for a number of years, and at present has the largest Sunday-school class in Ava. His politics are those of the Republican party, but his private interests have demanded all of his time and attention and he has never entered the political field.
CLAIN CRAIN. [Page 977]
A man of varied and extensive interests, successful alike in business and public life, Clain Grain, of Fordyce, Illinois, is one of the leading capitalists of Jackson county, and a man whose influence has been felt in all movements tending to advance his section. He belongs to one of the old and honored families of Southern Illinois, and was born in Ora township, Jackson county, Illinois, February 17, 1870, a son of George and Catherine (Arnold) Grain.

Friend Grain, the grandfather of Clain, was born in Georgia, and when a lad of twelve or fourteen years came to Southern Illinois with his parents, Joel Grain and his wife, who were one of the earliest couples to locate in Perry county. Here Joel Grain reared a family, overcame the hardships and privations usual to pioneer life, and became a successful agriculturist, following that occupation throughout his career. Friend Grain grew to manhood in this locality, and was here married to Miss Elizabeth House, by whom he had five sons, of whom George was the second. Elizabeth House was born in 1816, in North Carolina, and came to Illinois in 1828 with her parents, John and Sarah House, the family locating on the east side of Four Mile Prairie, becoming the first settlers of that section, which was just inside of Perry county. There the family of five sons and two daughters was reared, of whom Elizabeth was the third child, and she was sixteen years of age when she married Friend Grain.

When George Grain was thirteen days old, the day the volunteers left for the Mexican war, June 23, 1846, he was taken from the farm on which he had been born, and which stood on the line between Perry and Jackson counties, to a property near Vergennes, a farm situated about six miles northwest of the village, and there he grew to manhood. Purchasing a farm adjoining that of his father, he was married in 1866, to Catherine Arnold, daughter of George and Sarah Arnold, eight children being born to this union: Friend, Clain, Mrs. Lura Schempff, Riley, Reuben, Mrs. Oma Rosch, Fred and Harry. Mr. and Mrs. Grain lived on the farm until 1883, at which time the Illinois Central Railroad was built through Vergennes to the town of Grub, and at the latter place Mr. Grain began buying wheat and timber and operating a general store. He remained at that point until 1892, at which time he returned to Vergennes and went into the piling and lumber business, and he is now the owner of a large lumber yard. For some years Mr. Grain was also engaged in the wholesale liquor business at Pinckneyville, and on first coming to Vergennes was engaged in business with his son, Clain, but for the greater part of the time he has carried on business alone and has been identified with the lumber interests. More than any other one man, perhaps, Mr. Grain has developed the resources of Vergennes where he is highly esteemed by his fellow townsmen. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Odd Fellows, in which he is popular, but he has not identified himself with any other social organizations, and has kept out of politics.

Clain Grain spent his early life on the farm in Ora township, and his education was secured in the public schools of that district. In 1890 he came to Vergennes, where he engaged in a general merchandise business, but in 1896 sold his interests and moved to Johnson City, where he became identified with lumber. In 1897 he returned to Vergennes, where he again entered business, but in 1903 went to Sea Rock and for two years was engaged on a "timber job." At the time the Iron Mountain Railroad was put through. Mr. Grain recognized the fact that this locality would have a future as a commercial center, and purchased a number of building lots on the present site of Fordyce, to which city he moved in 1905, entering the general merchandise business. The year of 1907 was an unfortunate one for him, for, while his business had assumed large proportions and was progressing rapidly, he was both burglarized and burned out. His stock was replenished, however, and his store rebuilt, and he now has one of the finest business enterprises to be found in this section. On first coming to Fordyce Mr. Grain also engaged in the lumber business, which has steadily grown to the present time, and for three years he has operated the electric light plant here. Since the time when he built the first store and the first residence here, Mr. Grain has engaged in the real estate business, and he now owns considerable property and has done much to build up and develop the interests of Fordyce. His political belief is that of the Republican party, in the ranks of which he is an active worker, and he has served as chairman of the village board, trustee of the village, and president of the school board of the township for several years. He has brought to his public service the same enthusiasm and wealth of progressive ideas that have made him so successful in his business ventures.

Mr. Grain was married in 1890 to Miss Jane Pyatt, of Pyatt Station, Perry county, and four children have been born to this union, namely: Oscar, Ozie, Jessie and Burl. Mr. Grain is a popular member of the Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America.
CHARLES BROWN. [Page 982]
Energetic, public-spirited and progressive, Charles Brown, postmaster at Cora City and one of the leading agriculturists of this section of Illinois, is a man of integrity and honor, well worthy of the high regard in which he is held throughout the community in which Jie lives and toward the advancement and prosperity of which he is ever ready to lend a helping hand. A son #f James M. Brown, he was born in Randolph county, Illinois, March 17, 1853, of pioneer stock.

Born in Virginia, May 26, 1811, James M. Brown was brought up in Kentucky, where his parents settled when he was a small child. As a boy he began work in a humble capacity on a river steamboat, and gradually worked his way upward until becoming engineer on one of the old line Mississippi river steamers. In 1840, while thus employed, his boat froze in the ice, and he made his way to the shore fully determined to give up life on the river. Buying a section of land lying on the line between Randolph and Jackson counties, he built Liberty mill, at Liberty, now Rockwood, Illinois, putting up what was at the time of the Civil war the largest milling plant in Southern Illinois. After the war he devoted his time entirely to the management of the farm which he improved, residing upon it until his death, January 14, 1874. He was a man of strong individuality, and was very prominent in promoting the upbuilding and growth of the town of Randolph. He was identified with the Democratic party throughout his life, and faithfully performed the duties devolving upon him as a citizen of worth. He married, in 1841, in Saint Louis, Missouri, Rebecca Simons, a daughter of Edward Simons, a cooper in Saint Louis, and to them six children were born, as follows: F. M., deputy postmaster at Cora, Illinois; S. D., of Pocahontas, Arkansas; H. C., of Cora; Charles, the special subject of this brief biographical sketch; Mrs. Mollie G. Dean, deceased; and a child that died in infancy.

Charles Brown spent his early life in this part of Southern Illinois, around "Degogina Bridge," obtaining his education in the district schools. During the spring of 1869 he attended the old Southern Illinois College, and in 1871 pursued a course of study at Bryant & Stratton's Business College, in Saint Louis. He obtained a thorough knowledge of agriculture on the parental homestead, and still retains his interest in the old home farm, which has increased in value hundreds and hundreds of per cent, its original cost having been but four dollars an acre, while at the present time a hundred dollars per acre would be a modest price. Mr. Brown is an influential member of the Republican party, and in addition to having served as township supervisor for ten years has been postmaster at Cora City for eight years, having held the position since 1903, a record of service bespeaking his ability, fidelity and efficiency. Fraternally he belongs to Murphysboro Lodge, No. 442, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Mr. Brown's brother, F. M. Brown, a veteran of the Civil war, is assistant postmaster.

On July 2, 1884, Mr. Brown was united in marriage with Bella P. Richards, of Rockwood, Illinois, a daughter of Benjamin and Margaret A Richards, and their only child, Cora, is the wife of Ralph Rollo, city engineer of Murphysboro, Illinois.
NORMAN MCINTYRE. [Page 994]
Well equipped for a professional career both by education and aptness, Norman Mclntyre, superintendent of the public schools of Campbell Hill, has acquired a far more than local reputation as an instructor and is widely known among the successful educators of this part of Jackson county. He was born January 28, 1882, in Nashville, Illinois, which was likewise the birthplace of his father, William Mclntyre. His grandfather, William Robert Mclntyre, who located in Nashville, Illinois, in the early part of the nineteenth century, was one of three brothers who migrated from South Carolina to the west, one of the remaining two settling in Missouri and the other in Arkansas.

Born on the home farm in Nashville, Illinois, December 12, 1854, William Mclntyre, whose father was a veteran of the Civil war, remained beneath the parental roof-tree until twenty-five years of age, when he moved to Perry county, Illinois, where he has since resided, an esteemed and respected citizen. He is a man of strong convictions, and in his political affiliations is a Republican. He married, in 1880, Margaret Redfern, a daughter of James Redfern, of Perry county, who was a drummer boy in the Mexican war and a brave soldier in the Civil war. Nine children blessed their union, namely: William, who died in childhood; Norman, with whom this brief sketch is chiefly concerned; Mary, wife of Marion Haggert; James R.; George W.; Lawrence; William; Clyde; and Margaret. Four of these children are now school teachers, and three more are preparing to enter upon the same profession.

Living in Perry county until sixteen years of age, Norman Mclntyre there attended the primary and grammar schools, after which he was a pupil in the Coulterville high school for two years. Going then to Carbondale, he took a course of five years in the Southern Illinois Normal School; being there graduated with the class of 1909. During his attendance at the Normal Mr. Mclntyre taught school, being employed in different places, for one year having charge of the schools in Ashley, Illinois, and at Campbell Hill for an equal length of time. He is now devoting all of his time and energies to the improvement of the Campbell Hill schools, of which he is superintendent, the high rank which these institutions, (which in addition to the grammar grades does three years high school work,) maintain among similar schools in the county being due to his wise and systematic labors.

Mr. Mclntyre married, August 15, 1909, Laura P. Barrow, daughter of A. J. Barrow, of Campbell Hill, and they have one child, Robert Norman Mclntyre. Politically Mr. Mclntyre is a Republican, and religiously he is a member of the Missionary Baptist church.
REV. WALTER S. D. SMITH. [Page 994]
Sometimes one finds a man who unites in himself the fine moral sense of a minister of the gospel with the keen business sense of a man who lives his life among material things. Such a man is of great value to both his friends and to the community in which he lives, for he is, as a rule, one of the few truly normal men living today. This unusual combination is to be found in the person of Walter S. D. Smith, of Pinckneyville, Illinois. He comes of a long line of educated and cultured men and women, and it is no wonder that he has the ability to speak words of weight and influence from the pulpit, for the founder of his family in this country was a well known Scottish divine. It is less easy to see where he gets his fine business instincts, but he certainly has them, having held his present difficult position for upwards of twenty years. He has not allowed absorption in other things to keep him from observing closely the political and civic life of the community, and the services that he has rendered as a public servant have been much appreciated by the people who repeatedly placed him in positions of trust.

Reverend Walter Scott Dinsmore Smith, or “Elder Smith,” as he is called, represents one of the earliest of the newer families that settled in Perry county, his father, Dr. George S. Smith, having settled here in 1862, about the time of the real development of Egypt. This branch of the Smith family was founded in America about the middle of the eighteenth century, its founder being Reverend Samuel Smith, who was a native of Scotland. He had received a very fine education in the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, and on his arrival in America was made a tutor in Princeton College. After he had severed his connection with this famous old institution of learning he taught a select and very popular school at Rahway, New Jersey, and here he died about 1795. His wife was a Miss Baker, and Samuel B. Smith was the only child to perpetuate the family name, his sister, Mary, living and dying a spinster.

Samuel Baker Smith was born near Princeton, New Jersey, where his father was engaged in both ministerial and educational work. The date of his birth was 1790, and he received his early education from his father. The atmosphere of his home while that of a Presbyterian minister, of the old school, was yet full of refinement, and if a bit austere and straight-laced in many respects, yet furnished the lad with what to him was meat and drink, that is books. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He was a man of rare intellectual gifts, which even the hard life of the backwood's man could not smother. His wife was also from a family of considerable mental attainments of the old German stock, being Martha Siegfried, a daughter of the Reverend George Siegfried, a Baptist minister and editor in Bucks county, Pennsylvania. Settling in eastern Ohio prior to 1820, these two reared a family of ten children, of whom two are still living. Mr. Smith died in 1858, at the age of about sixty-eight, and his wife passed away at the age of sixty-two, in 1855. Their children were James M., who died in Erie, Pennsylvania; Dr. George S.; Samuel, who did not live to maturity; Sarah A., who became the wife of John C. Hess and died at Iowa City, Iowa; Simeon B., who lost his life during the Civil war, wearing the uniform of the boys in blue; Nathan M. was a doctor and is buried at Kirksville, Missouri; Mary, who married Dr. A. C. Moore, and is now living in Cincinnati, Ohio; Martha, who married Rev. Charles Kimball; William Wilgus, who was one of the pioneer in telegraphy and went to the Pacific coast in 1849. Here he built numerous lines of telegraph under contract, and later went into the dreaded desert country of Nevada with the same purpose. Here, near Wilgus, a town that was named for him, he was murdered by a roving band of Indians, his horse being coveted by them. The two younger children were Benjamin F., who passed his life in California and Nevada, and Maria J., who became the wife of J. H. Arnold, of Beallsville, Ohio, where they still live, honored parents of a numerous family.

Dr. George Siegfried Smith was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, March 23, 1817, and received his literary education in Mount Pleasant, Ohio. He later received his professional training in one of the medical schools of Cincinnati, after a course of study under Dr. James Kirkpatrick. He began to practice as an exponent of the regular school, but in 1857 he became a converfto the eclectic system, and continued to uphold the tenets of this school to the end of his medical career of more than sixty years. In 1858 he left Newport, Ohio (in which state, at Beallsville, his son Walter was born January 12, 1845), and went to Jefferson City, Missouri. He spent the next four years practicing his profession near that place, and in 1862 came to Perry county, Illinois, where, and in Jackson and Williamson counties he spent the remainder of his life. He married Rachel M. Garvin at Martin's Ferry, Ohio, March 3, 1840. She was a daughter of James Garvin and Jane Dinsmore, who lived near Moundsville, West Virginia, all of the closing years of their lives. Her father was a farmer and she was brought up as a capable housewife, and became an able assistant to the doctor in his rather trying profession. Mrs. Smith died near Sand Ridge, Illinois, December 22, 1866, leaving four children: Jennie, who is the widow of L. T. Ross, of Pinckneyville, Illinois; Adoniram Judson, of Sand Ridge, Illinois; Walter Scott Dinsmore; and Friend Smith, who was cashier of the Murphy- Wall Bank in Pinckneyville for seventeen years and at the time of his death. Dr. Smith was a Republican in his political beliefs, and in his religious creed was a Baptist. He died in Pinckneyville April 2, 1902.

The larger number of the boyhood days of Walter S. D. were spent at Newport, Ohio, and at Saint Mary’s, West Virginia, on the opposite side of the Ohio river. He recently had the interesting experience of returning to the haunts of his boyhood after an absence of fifty years. The old, well remembered scenes had changed much, but here and there a spot seemed to have stood still, and he could imagine himself a bare-foot boy again. Not so his old friends, the little girl whom he had gazed at timidly from behind the refuge of his speller was a grandmother, and the boy who always used to play Indian with him, and run faster than any of them, was all doubled up with rheumatism, but what fun it was to talk over old times with them all.

The common schools gave Walter Scott Dinsmore Smith his early training and to this was added a course in Shurtleff College, Alton, Illinois. As a young man he engaged in farming, later turning to school teaching as a means of livelihood. Before he was of age he was conscious of a call to the work of a minister, and at eighteen he was licensed to preach by the authority of the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist church, of which Rev. Josiah Lemen was then pastor. He has held different pastorates around Pinckneyville, and is yet subject to a call from the Nine Baptist Association, of which body he served many years as clerk. He has been clerk of the First Baptist church of Pinckneyville for about forty years.

At the age of twenty-one W. S. D. Smith entered the court house in Pinckneyville as deputy county clerk, under L. T. Ross, and remained in this position for eight years. He was then elected to succeed his chief and was repeatedly re-elected until he had spent twenty-five years in this office. He retired December 1, 1890, and on the 1st of January, 1891, became bookkeeper and cashier of the Pinckneyville Milling Company, a position which he still holds. He is a Republican, who holds no bitterness against those who do not think as he does, and in his public service was known far and near for his courtesy and kindness to everyone.

Reverend Smith was married on the llth of September, 1868, in Pinckneyville, Illinois, to Laura Ann Gordon. She was a daughter of James E. Gordon, one of the early settlers of Perry county and a noted justice of the peace. Her mother was Lucy A. Jones, a sister of Humphrey B. Jones, the founder of Pinckneyville and first county and circuit clerk of Perry county, who was appointed in 1827. Of the Gordon children there were William G. Gordon, deceased; Mary L., the widow of Matthew Charlton, of Saint Louis; Lucy A., who married William E. Dunn, a volunteer in the War of the Rebellion, who after the war took up the shoe-making trade, and became the father of the Dunn Brothers, merchants of Pinckneyville; and Mrs. Smith, who was born on the 8th of February, 1851.

The children of the Reverend Smith and his wife are Elmer Gordon, cashier of the Southern Illinois Milling Company, at Murphysboro; Arthur C., who is secretary and treasurer of the Bessemer Coal and Mining Company of Saint Louis; Percy B., who is secretary of the Egyptian Coal and Mining Company, also of Saint Louis; Elsie, wife of S. J. Harry Wilson, superintendent of the Pinckneyville schools; Lucy, who married Charles F. Gergen, president of the Gergen Coal Company; and Stanley G., editor of the Searchlight, a weekly paper published at Marissa, Illinois.
LEWIS B. PULLET. [Page 999]
The scope of a man's usefulness is to be determined by his own metewand; his success in connection with the practical duties and responsibilities of life is determined by his intrinsic powers and the application of the same. Popular appreciation of the value of a man’s labors is given with no equivocal verdict. The pertinence of these statements is clearly shown in the career of Lewis B. Pulley, who is one of the well known and highly esteemed citizens of his native county and whose hold upon popular confidence and esteem in the same is evidenced by the fact that he is the only county official of Williamson county who has to his credit and distinction three successive elections to office. He is circuit) clerk of Williamson county and is now nearing the close of his third term in this important position, his administration of the affairs of which has been marked by carefulness, fidelity and distinctive executive ability.

Mr. Pulley was born on a farm in East Marion township formerly Crab Orchard precinct, Williamson county, Illinois, seven miles east of Marion, the judicial center of the county, and the date of his nativity was September 8, 1856. He is a son of Washington and Eliza (Owen) Pulley, the former of whom was born in Lunenburg county, Virginia, in 1818, and the latter of whom was born in the state of Tennessee. Washington Pulley was a son of William Pulley, who came from the Old Dominion state in an early day and numbered himself among the pioneer settlers of Williamson county, Illinois, where he secured a tract of government land and reclaimed a farm. Here both he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives and their names merit enduring place on the roster of the sterling pioneers of this section of the state. William Pulley died several years prior to the inception of the Civil war, and the remains of both him and his wife were laid to rest near their old home in East Marion township.

Washington Pulley was a child at the time of the family removal from Virginia to Illinois and was reared to manhood in Williamson county, where he had his full quota of experience in connection with the trials and hardships of the pioneer epoch. His educational advantages were necessarily limited, owing to the exigencies of time and place, but he became a man of strong character and well extended mental ken. He secured from the public domain a tract of land and with the passing of years succeeded in bringing his farm, which was not a large one, into such productiveness as to yield adequate returns and provide for the wants of himself and his family, the old homestead farm being now owned by his son Lewis B., whose name initiates this review. His sterling attributes of character ever commanded to him the high regard of his fellow men and he was one of the well known and popular citizens of East Marion township until his death, which occurred in the year 1880. In politics he was originally a Whig, but upon the organization of the Republican party he allied himself therewith. He was a great admirer and strong supporter of President Lincoln, and though it was not permitted him to serve as a soldier in the Civil war he did all in his power to further the cause of the Union during that climacteric period of the nation's history. Both he and his wife were devout and consistent members of the Christian church. The devoted wife and mother survived her husband by nearly a quarter of a century and was summoned to eternal rest in 1904, at the venerable age of eighty-two years. Her father, William Owen, came from Tennessee to Illinois in an early day and settled in Williamson county, which continued to be his home until his death.

Washington and Eliza (Owen) Pulley became the parents of eight children, concerning whom the following brief data are given as a consistent portion of this sketch: Mary is the wife of William L. Hern, of Carbondale, this state; John T. died in Williamson county, leaving a family; Eliza is the wife of Thomas Davis, of Marion, Williamson county, where J. M., the next in order of birth, also resides; Amanda is the wife of James Hearn, of Marion; Lewis B. is the immediate subject of this review; Miss Susan likewise maintains her home in Marion; and Eldridge S. is a prosperous farmer near the old homestead.

Lewis B. Pulley passed his childhood and youth under the sturdy and invigorating discipline of the farm on which he was born, and his early educational discipline was secured in the, district schools. His higher academic training was secured in the Southern Illinois Normal University, and as his sphere of manual activities was curtailed through an accident which necessitated the amputation of his left arm, when he was nineteen years of age, he early formulated plans for entering a vocation in which this physical handicap would not figure. Alert and appreciative as a student, he prepared himself for the work of the pedagogic profession, and in this important field of endeavor he gained success and popularity of no uncertain order, as he brought to bear ambition, energy, self-control and a well disciplined mind. He began teaching in the district schools soon after attaining to his legal majority and with this phase of educational work he continued to be successfully identified for a period of fourteen years, the greater part of his service having been in the country schools.

During these years of earnest and effective endeavor Mr. Pulley had firmly entrenched himself in the confidence and esteem of the people of his native county, and in 1900 he first appeared as an aspirant for public office. He sought nomination as the Republican candidate for circuit clerk and in the nominating convention defeated two strong competitors.

He was elected to the office in November of that year and upon the expiration of his regular terra of four years this effectiveness and acceptability of his services were most emphatically shown in his nomination without opposition and by his election by a most gratifying majority. At the next election, that of 1908, candidates for the office seemed to spring up all over the county, like soldiers from the dragon-teeth sowed by Cadmus, and notwithstanding the spirited opposition thus brought to bear Mr. Pulley was decisively victorious in both the nominating convention and the ensuing election, in which latter, as already stated, he had the distinction of being the first county officer of Williamson county to be elected for a third successive term. Under these conditions further words to mark the efficiency of his administration and the popular verdict passed upon the same are not demanded. In politics Mr. Pulley has ever been arrayed as a stalwart in the camp of the Republican party and he is well fortified in his convictions and opinions as to matters of public policy. As a broad-minded and loyal citizen he takes especially deep interest in all that touches the material and social welfare of his home city and native county, and he has resided in Marion since 1900, when he was first elected to his present office. He and his family are members of the Christian church and are active in the support of the various departments of its work.

On the 14th of October, 1886, in the neighborhood in which he was reared, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Pulley to Miss Annie L. Tidwell, one of the eight children born to Dr. John F. and Martha J. (0’Neal) Tidwell, who came from Tennessee and established their "home in Williamson county in the pioneer days. In conclusion of this review is entered brief record concerning the children of Mr. and Mrs. Pulley: Lula B. is the wife of Leslie O. Caplinger, and both are deputies in the office of her father; Walter L., who was graduated in the department of pharmacy of the Northwestern University, is engaged in the drug business at Chicago; Guy L. likewise is a druggist by profession and is identified with this line of enterprise at Murphysboro, Jackson county; and Leamon T. remains at the parental home. Mr. Pulley is a member of the Elks fraternity, affiliating with Marion lodge, No. 800.

Templates in Time