Big Beaucoup creek, rises in the southeastern part of
Washington county, and running a southwardly course through Randolph and
Jackson counties, about 40 miles, falls into Big Muddy river, in section 35,
of township 7 south, in range 2, west of the third principal meridian. A
toll bridge has lately been built across this stream, where the state road
leading from Shawneetown to Kaskaskia crosses it.
Big Muddy river, (Riviere au Vase, ou Vaseux, discovered and named by the French,) a considerable stream in the southwestern part of the state. It rises between the waters of the Kaskaskia and Little Wabash, and running a southern and southwestern course through the counties of Jefferson, Franklin, Jackson and Union, empties into the Mississippi, between sections 1 and 12, of township 11 south, in range 4, west of the 3d principal meridian, about 50 miles above the mouth of the Ohio. Being fed by Little Muddy river, Beacoup[sic] creek, and several other smaller streams, it is rendered boatable for 40 or 50 miles through a fine prairie country. About 25 miles from its mouth, stone coal of a good quality, is found in a sufficient quantity to supply the surrounding country, and afford a surplus for exportation. Native copper has also been found in detached masses on the banks of this stream.
Brownsville, a flourishing post town, and the seat of justice of Jackson county, incorporated in 1819, under the direction of five trustees. It is situated on Big Muddy river, on section 2, of township 9 south, in range 3, west of the third principal meridian. The inhabitants are principally German. About 4 miles above this place, on the east bank of Muddy, is a saline building stone of the best quality also exists in abundance. Brownsville is in latitude 37 degrees 45' north, 84 miles, somewhat west of south, from Vandalia.
Cedar creek, a small stream of Jackson and Union counties. It runs a northwest course, and empties into Big Muddy river, in section 11, of township 10 south, in range 3, west of the third principal meridian.
Colombo creek, runs a southeast course through the northwestern part of Jackson county, and empties into Big Beaucoup creek.
Little Beaucoup creek, a small branch of Big Beaucoup, running through Randolph and Jackson counties.
Muddy saline, situated on the Muddy river near Brownsville, the county seat of Jackson. It is owned, and has been leased by the state to different individuals.
Ovid, a town in Jackson county, laid out in 1820. It is situated eight miles east of the Mississippi river, near the line which divides Jackson and Union counties. The main road leading from America and Golconda through Jonesborough and Brownsville, to Kaskaskia and St. Louis, passes through this place. It is 15 miles south of Brownsville, and about the same distance nearly north of Jonesborough. The lands in the vicinity, are of a very good quality, and mill seats are numerous within a few miles of the place.
Extracted from A Gazetteer of the States of Illinois and Missouri, author Lewis C. Beck, published in 1823.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time