Carbondale is located about three miles from the third principal meridian, the eastern boundary of Jackson County on the Illinois Central R. R., where it intersects with the Cairo Short Line and the Grand Tower & Carbondale sometimes known as Chicago & Texas, 75 miles southeast of St. Louis, 55 miles north of Cairo and eight miles from Murphysboro.
It was first organized as a village in 1870 and obtained a charter as a city two years later.
It is a mile and a half square.
It has a debt of $60,000.
The assessed value of property is $250,000, which is one sixth of its real value. During the past year there has been considerable selling of property both for occupation and investment.
The appearance of the city is very inviting particularly in the residence portion. The large central square shaded with trees is occupied by the principal business houses.
There are several fine blocks and at the present writing a good deal of building is going on. The side streets are all lined with shade trees.
The railroad passes up through the town which is rather an awkward feature.
The city combines great religious and educational advantages.
The town has largely attained its growth as a trade center for a rich agricultural district. It also has three flour mills, planing mill, foundry and machine shop.
It is an important shipping point for hay, grain, wool, stock, fruits and produce, timber, lumber, stone, flour and grain. A large business is done in farming implements and machinery.
The First National Bank have recently erected a new building which for its purposes has no superior in Egypt.
The town is lit by electricity supplied by a private company. Thirty arc lights 2000 candle power and 650 incandescent lamps are in use.
The new Opera House built in 1894 seats 600 persons.
Plans are now laid for water works which will be built this summer. There will be three miles of piping, 35 hydrants and a service of 500,000 gallons daily. There will be pressure enough to throw a 75 foot stream. The cost of the water will be $1500 annually.
Carbondale is a city with undoubtedly a bright future. It presents a more settled and substantial aspect than most Southern Illinois towns. Her men of means are very enterprislng and every year they are causing to be brought under cultivation the bottom lands in the surrounding country and every now and then a farmer is attracted here and settles where the land will yield more bounteously than that further north or east.
L. L, WATSON, Machine shop & Foundry. — With the steady development that has been taking place in industrial activity of various sorts throughout this section of country, Mr. L. L. Watson's machine shop and foundry, which he has owned and operated for twenty-one years, has from the very outset enjoyed a flood and continuously increasing trade. The shop is well located, close to the business centre and is equipped with all the appointments conducive to a high state of mechanical efficiency including two steam lathes, drill press, planers and other iron and wood-working machinery and all the minor appliances, laborsaving devices and tools incidental to a first-class establishment for repairing, casting and finishing machinery and iron work of the lighter kind as blacksmithing and steam fitting; an active little ten horse steam engine furnishes the motive power. As a rule about five hands are employed under Mr. Watson's own supervision, he himself being a machinist and mechanic of mature and diversified experience. The work turned out from here has a reputation for durability, finish and accuracy which has been attained by honest hard work and progressive energy and it has had a very considerable effect on the business development of the city. Mr. Watson's business enterprise and capacity leave little for us to say; he is widely and favorably known and none in this quarter are more worthily esteemed. He is identified with the best interests of Carbondale and renders valuable public service as a member of the City Council.
M. M. THOMPSON, Attorney-at-Law and Real Estate Dealer. — Besides being a prominent member of the Jackson County Bar, Mr. Thompson has long been engaged with extensive real estate interests and we are credibly informed, that few men have done more to develope the agricultural resources of this section of country. In his real estate business he handles every description of town and country property but gives his particular attention to the purchase and management of wild lands; he has probably cleared and improved and placed upon the market in thoroughly arable condition a greater number of acres than any man in Jackson County. He has for his own use a fine farm of one thousand acres close to the city, which he maintains in a highly cultivated state and from which he derives a profitable return. Although busily engaged with his private interests (in addition to those already mentioned, he is a member of the flour milling firm of Thompson & Oglesby) he finds time to devote attention to the responsible public duties of City Treasurer, which he discharges with general acceptance to the municipality and people of Carbondale. In all his public, professional and personal relations he enjoys a wide esteem and is properly regarded as one of those who are doing much to build up a great future for this southern section of the State. A notice of Thompson & Oglesby's mill will be found in another place and will prove of interest to our readers, especially to those more or less directly concerned in that line of trade.
CITY MILLS, J. W. Winfrey, Prop. — Among those concerns which have tended in a great measure to build up and increase the importance of Carbondale, the City Mills hold a place of much prominence. They were established in 1877 by the firm of Brown & Winfrey succeeded by the firm of Winfrey & Marten, and for the last six years have been carried on by Mr. J. W. Winfrey as Superintendent. They are located on the east side of the town and are equipped with modern roller process machinery having daily capacity of seventy-five barrels, driven by a 46 horse-power steam engine. The manufacture of flour, meal and feed is carried on. The brand by which the mills are best known is "Electric Light," a flour which is in very good demand and in especial favor with the trade in neighboring towns to the north and south along the Illinois Central. Mr. Winfrey, the owner of the mills was born in Texas, but has long been resident in Jackson County. He is thoroughly conversant with all the details of his calling, a successful grain buyer and knows what precautions must be observed to secure the most favorable results from labor, material and machinery. He is a member of the Board of Education and in this and other directions endeavors to promote the welfare of the community.
O. BARBOUR & CO., Hardware. — This business founded originally in 1865 was for many years conducted by Mr. O. Barbour alone; indeed it was only within the past year that the present firm was formed by the admission of his son, Mr. George Barbour, to partnership. It is the most important concern of its kind in the county and the volume of its business has been steadily augmented, perhaps in greater proportion to the general trade development of the city than that of any other establishment. The store is well located upon East Main Street, not far from the public square and occupies premises of large extent. The general stock embraces hardware, iron, cutlery, paints, oils and agricultural implements being full and complete and representing the best manufacturers' goods in each department. Four competent salesmen are employed under the personal direction of the Messrs. Barbour and in all features of the business the resources and facilities of the house are unsurpassed, resulting in a trade of wide extent. Mr. Barbour senior is a native of Terre Haute, Ind. He is an influential member of the City Council and a popular citizen; individually and as a firm they stand well in business and financial circles and are favorably known to a very large circle of customers and friends.
THE CARBONDALE ELECTRIC COMPANY.— This corporation was established in 1891, officers: N. W. Graham, President; G. W. Graham, Treasurer and S. B. Graham, Secretary. The plant is located in a building specially erected for its accommodation on East Main street and is equipped upon a thoroughly serviceable basis capable of supplying the wants of the community for many years to come. Two dynamos of the Thompson-Houston pattern are used, the arc-dynamos having a capacity of thirty 1200 candle-power lights, while the other furnishes current to eight hundred and fifty incandescent lamps; as there is a splendid engine of one hundred horse-power the dynamo capacity can of course be considerably extended and indeed some addition in this direction is now being contemplated in view of an increased demand for lighting facilities. The arc lights are operated under contract with the municipal authorities and these street lights and private lamps altogether require a circuit of twenty miles. There is a competent superintendent and engineer in charge and one electrician. Two years ago an artesian well was sunk on the Company's ground in order to obtain a water supply for the plant. This well developes a spontaneous and constant flow of the purest water, which is highly charged with valuable mineral element, making it most desirable for domestic use as well as for the production of steam. The supply is 120,000 gallons daily with necessary machinery. The city of Carbondale should at once, avail herself of this unprecedented advantage in the interest of public improvement. We append herewith an authorized official analysis of Graham Artesian Well given by Prof. Arthur W. Palmer, Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois. This water is absolutely free from organic matter and possesses remarkable medicinal properties, as the analysis plainly show.
Chloride of Potassium 1,781 grains per gallon.
Chloride of Lithium 0,022 " " "
Chloride of sodium 100,600 " " "
Sulphate of Sodium 6,937 " " "
Phospate of Sodium 0,059 " " "
Silicate of Sodium 0,916 " " "
Bromide of sodium traces " " "
Bicarbonate of Sodium 40,570 " " "
Bicarbonate of Calcium 4,165 " " "
Bicarbonate of Magnesium 1,568 " " "
Oxide of Iron and Alumina 0,067 " " "
E. PATTEN, Druggist and Apothecary. — This business occupies a position the importance of which cannot be disputed. It was established by Mr. Patten in 1869 and has continuously since its inception held a large share of the patronage of the community. The store is well arranged and fitted with all requisite conveniences for the proper handling of a first-class trade and presents an inviting appearance with its heavily laden shelves, and stocked show-cases. The stock comprises a full line of drugs and chemicals as well as standard medicines and proprietary remedies, toilet and fancy articles, stationery, church, school and other books and school supplies of all kinds; Mr. Patten also carries a good line of paints and oils. He is a gentleman of matured experience as a pharmacist and gives much of his personal attention to the prescription counter, in which department of the business this drug-store enjoys a rather enviable reputation for promptitude and accuracy. The house maintains a wide connection and does a steady business which keeps the energies of three active clerks fully taxed.
SOLOMON & WINTERS, The One Price Cash Clothiers. — This is one of the most notable additions to the mercantile interests of Carbondale made within the last few months. The business was established by J. Solomon of the firm of J. Solomon & Co. of Chicago and J. J. Winters of Duquoin. Excellent quarters have been secured for the business in the new Odd Fellows Building where they have fitted up a convenient and attractive store and here customers will find a large and varied line of goods neatly and tastefully arranged so as to give one every opportunity of making a selection. An inspection of the stock will reveal the fact that the goods shown are largely made from the finest domestic and imported materials and in the higher-priced class at least, made up in every particular with the same skill and attention which are bestowed upon orders in the custom department. Here too will be found an elegant assortment of suitings, woolens, broadcloths, and cassimeres. Mr. J. J. Winters is the resident member of the firm and brings with him from Duquoin the name of a progressive and reliable merchant.
“REPUBLICAN FREE PRESS," W. H. Hubbard, Editor. — The above newspaper is descended jn apostolic succession from the Republican, established 1890 and the Free Press, established nearly a quarter of a century ago, which papers were consolidated, under Mr. W. H. Hubbard's ownership and management, in 1892. The "Jackson County Republican Free Press” is a very handsomely printed eight column quarto, containing a good digest of all the latest news, of general as well as local interest and sound editorials. It is published every Saturday and its appearance is eagerly welcomed by over eight hundred bona fide subscribers; in politics it is, as the editor himself expresses it, a “black" Republican. The printing office is provided with a first-class country equipment, comprising one large steam newspaper press and two fast job presses and has a complete stock of good job type: three persons besides the editor constitute the working force. Mr. W. H. Hubbard comes originally from Syracuse, New York where he began his career as a practical printer, from that embarked in the legal profession, drifted into journalism and now finds himself owner of one of the largest newspapers in Illinois.
W. T. HAMPTON’S, Livery, Feed and Sale Stable. — This is the principal lively stable in Carbondale and is well and centrally located upon East Main Street. On an average thirty horses are kept for livery use and many fine turnouts for double and single driving with which careful drivers are sent when necessary. The stable has accommodation for about forty head and keeps up a splendid name for taking the best of care of animals whether transient or boarders entrusted to its charge. Mr. W. T. Hampton, in whose hands the business has been for the past three years, is a native of Tennessee, but came to Carbondale from Williamson County, Ill. The measure of patronage accorded to him by the public is amply merited by his courde of honorable dealing and fair treatment.
THE JACKSON MILLS, George W. Graham, Manager. — These mills were established about twenty-five years ago by Mr. N. W. Graham and are still operated by himself and sons, Mr. George W. Graham being the active manager. They are conveniently located, upon the east side of the town, not far from the public square and the railway depot and are equipped with the best style of machinery and all appliances incidental to the modern full roller process. The engine is one hundred horse power, daily production of the mills two hundred barrels and there is storage capacity for some twenty thousand bushels of wheat. The leading brands are “Topgallant" and "Straight Grade" and it is by these that the concern has acquired and maintains its splendid reputation in the southern markets where its trade is principally established.
J. W. MILLER, Lumber, Lath, Shingles. — In the business carried on by Mr. J. W. Miller, Carbondale has an enterprise which generally fills the requirements demanded in this special line. The yard was originally owned by Messrs. Searing & Farmer and passed into Mr. Miller's hands in November, 1893; to judge from the support accorded to it by the people of this neighborhood it has evidently lost nothing by coming under the new regime, several million feet of all kinds of hard and soft lumber are always kept in stock as well as a full supply of lath, shingles, sash, doors, blinds, mouldings, brackets, asphalt roofing and building papers; building contracts and indeed any orders, large or small, can be filled at short notice. Mr. Miller gives the business his close personal attention in every detail and is thus able to secure the precautions favorable to the maintenance of the reputation already acquired for accurate reliable service and a most conscientious fulfillment of every contract. He is a native of Ft. Wayne, Ind. but has been a resident and business man of Duquoin, Ill., several years prior to taking up residence in Carbondale.
MRS. EMMA R. MOORE, Principal Shorthand Institute. Stenographic and Typewriting Work Done. — As an instance of the metropolitan character assumed by Carbondale, we mention the Shorthand Institute of Mrs. Emma R. Moore. This has had an existence of some six years and has proved a successful enterprise. As a teacher Mrs. Moore has exceptional qualifications and had a very successful record during her ten years connection with the Carbondale Public schools. Besides the work it is doing as an educational Institution, Mrs. Moore is prepared to fill vacancies for typewriters and stenographers at short notice and to undertake any kind and quantity of work in this direction. Special attention is given to commercial work and the copying of briefs and other legal documents. Mrs. Moore has a number of pupils filling responsible positions.
TAIT'S Dry Goods & Millinery. — The business carried on by the above house for over eighteen years in its own special line occupies a position in keeping with the advanced development of Carbondale's general interests. The premises on the west side of the square, are extensive and well arranged so as to afford every facility for the accommodation of an important trade. The lines of dry goods offer a most comprehensive assortment and are replete with every seasonable novelty and time-tried favorite, covert cloths, bengalines, whip-cords, silk crepons and lansdowns for evening dresses and fine dress goods. The stock of millinery is considered the largest in Southern Illinois and reveals to the observer some most exquisite hats, trimmings, ribbons, laces, gloves, hosiery and the daintiest kind of lingerie and conjections. The proprietors, Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Tait, are wide-awake and progressive and conduct the establishment in a creditable method. One of the features of the business is "Taits Monday Sales'' which are always duly heralded in the weekly journals and eagerly attended by the ladies of Carbondale.
J, M. JOHNSON, Proprietor City Lumber Yard and Mayor. — Among the business enterprises of Carbondale one that will compare favorably with any in Southern Illinois is the City Lumber Yard. It is an old established business and has been in Mr. Johnson's hands for the last ten years, during which time he has built up a profitable connection. He generally carries in stock several hundred thousand feet of building and finishing lumber, such as sash, doors, blinds, laths, shingles and other building materials. With ample resources for the successful prosecution of his enterprise and a high standing in financial circles, Mr. Johnson is accorded the esteem of this community. A native of the State, he has resided in Carbondale for twenty-five years. For six years he rendered excellent public service as a member of the City Council and is now steadily enhancing his record by the manner in which he discharges the duties of the Mayoralty.
SCOTT'S Dry Goods and Shoes. — Among important additions to the mercantile interests of Carbondale made during the past year, mention must be made of the establishment conducted by Messrs. Scott Bros. & Co. commonly known as Scotts. It is devoted to the retail trade in dry goods and shoes in exclusively fine lines and the first-class manner in which the business is carried on has very rapidly commended itself to a large proportion of the city custom. The store is located on the north side of the Square. A special bid is made for the custom of the students and others connected with the Southern Illinois University. The partners in this enterprise are Messrs. E. E. Scott, John H. Scott and Louis E. Neihouse, all of St. Louis, the former being the resident partner. Under his direction four competent clerks carry out the details of daily transactions and in every feature of the business it is clearly indicated the principles upon which the affairs of the house are conducted are such as mature experience and progressive energy would suggest.
I. N. WALKER, General Merchant. — This is an old established business although it has been carried on in Carbondale for only two years; the original headquarters are at Wolf Creek (Walker's Store) in this county where they have been maintained for over twenty years and are still in existence. Mr. I. N. Walker is the sole owner and personally manages the affairs of both establishments, the extent of which may be gathered from the fact that ten salesmen are employed. The Carbondale house is conducted as a general store and the stock forms one of the most comprehensive assortments of merchandise brought together under one roof in this section. Dry goods and dress goods, clothing, furnishing goods, boots, shoes, hats, staple and fancy groceries, queensware, crockery, glassware, house furnishing goods, carpets, grain, seeds, and stock salt may be mentioned to briefly indicate the wide range and variety of wares offered to their patrons. The house is backed by ample resources and enjoys such facilities as a far reaching trade connection and mature business experience can secure and the inducements they are able to offer customers are a matter of public information.
NORMAL BOOK STORE, C. A. Sheppard, Proprietor. — While reviewing the enterprises of Carbondale we must not fail to do justice to an establishment which does much towards the material and social welfare of the community. We have reference to the house of Mr. C. A. Sheppard, bookseller and stationer, the leader in this line of trade in the city. The business was established about fifteen years ago and since 1884 has been conducted on its present basis with Mr. Sheppard as sole proprietor. The store is located in attractive premises on the west side of the Square where there is displayed such a stock as would do credit to many a town of large growth. It includes church and school books, standard educational works and general literature, recent and popular fiction, magazines, journals and the leading daily and weekly papers, office and school stationery, school supplies, wall paper, window shades, organs, pianos (the celebrated Knabe instruments). Mr. Sheppard is an agreeable man to have dealings with and manages his business on principles liberal and straightforward, he is a member of the K. of H. and financial Secretary of the Illinois Mutual Aid.
McMlLLAN HOUSE, A. McMillan, Prop. East side of Square. — A hotel that has been operated for but little over a year, but already enjoys a well established trade, is the McMillan House, on the east side of the Square. It is not the largest hotel in the place but neither is it the most expensive and with comfortable well furnished rooms and really first class table it well deserves the patronage with which it is favored. Special attention is given to commercial men whose custom is particularly solicited and for whom a sample room is upon the first floor. Mr. A. McMillan the proprietor is a gentleman of genial and hospitable character and assisted by his good wife, shows every attention necessary for the comfort of guests.
THE KEELEY INSTITUTE, Carbondale, Ill. W. A. McDavid, Business Manager, 1321 Union Trust Building, St. Louis, Mo. W. O. Young, M. D., Medical Director, Carbondale. — The work carried on by the Keeley Institutes, their system of operation and in a popular way, the principles upon which the treatment is based, are now so generally known that at this date it is scarcely necessary to go into details. We shall therefore content ourselves with some mention of the Institute as one of the features of the City and as a factor in her business growth. The Institute was established here three years ago, at which time the attractive property known as the "Alien Homestead" was purchased by the Company. The house was large and well arranged and but little remodeling was needed to bring it into convenient and suitable shape; the grounds which are extremely beautiful extend to some six acres. Accommodation is provided for about fifteen patients, the physician in charge and his family occupying the rest of the house; the majority of the patients of course board in the city, the Institute being located only a few blocks from the public square. The Institute is authorized and under the direction of the Leslie E. Keeley Co., the treatment is identical with that given under the personal supervision of Leslie E. Keeley, M. D., L. L. D., at Dwight, Ill., for the past twelve years and which is endorsed by the United States Government for use in the twenty-eight National and State Homes for soldiers and sailors. The business offices of the Institute are in St. Louis, W. A. Mc Davld, General Manager; the Medical Director and resident physician in charge is W. O. Young, M. D. Dr. Young, who is a graduate of Bellevue University, New York, is a native of St. Louis in which city he commenced practice in 1869. He carried on his profession with much success, till he went with the Keeley Institute at Dwight. Having had ample opportunity of studying the treatment under most favorable conditions and with the advantages of his long medical training and professional experience the success which attends the Carbondale Institute under Dr. Young's administration is but the natural and expected outcome. Personally he is one of the most courteous and kindly of men and has won a warm place in the hearts of this community.
SOUTHERN ILLINOIS STATE NORMAL UNIVERSITY. — It was in 1869 that the state General Assembly approved the act by which the university was instituted; in 1870 the corner-stone was laid and in July, 1874 the complete building was dedicated. On the sixth day of September, in that year, the regular work of the University was inaugurated, with fifty-three students. Little over nine years later the building was destroyed by fire in less than three hours, the library, most of the furniture and scientific apparatus only being saved, but within two days work was re-commenced in rooms placed at the trustees disposal by several of our public-spirited citizens and inside of two months the University was installed in a temporary home provided for its use. The present building was completed at a cost of $152,065.00, its dedication taking place on February, 24th, 1887; as a structure for educational purposes it has been splendidly conceived and its plan nobly carried out. In the general arrangement, furnishing and equipment there is nothing left to be desired and there is a fine museum with over four thousand mineral, botanical and zoological specimens, scientific laboratories with complete sets of valuable physical and chemical apparatus, a mathematical department provided with surveying and trigonometrical instruments and powerful five-inch telescope, possessing declination and equatorial movements. The library has over 12,000 volumes classified and arranged according to the Dewey decimal system now in vogue in the leading libraries of the country. The University stands in its own beautiful grounds of some twenty acres and at present calls a roll of 490 matriculated students and an annual attendance of above 700. The financial and business administration is vested in the hands of six trustees appointed by the Governor of the State. The Regent of the University is Harvey William Everest, M. A., L. L. D. and the following constitute the Faculty. — Harvey William Everest, M. A., LL. D., Regent, Psychology and Political Economy. Daniel Baldwin Parkinson, M. A., Registrar and Vice-Regent, Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy and Geology. Martha Buck, English Grammar, George Hazen French, M. A., Curator, Natural History and Physiology. W. F. Rocheleau, Superintendent Model Department, Pedagogy and School Law; S. E. Harwood, Mathematics; H. W. Shryock Reading, Elocution, Rhetoric, English Literature; George W. Smith, Training Teacher, Vocal Music, Principal of Grammar School; S. B. Whittington, Civil Government and Adjunct Professor of Mathematics; Arista Burton, History; Inez I. Green, Geography; Carlos F. Allen, Latin and Greek; Matilda F. Salter, Drawing; Hans Ballin, German, Supt. of Physical Culture; Mary Caldwell, Penmanship, Book-keeping, Assistant in Physical Culture; Theda Gildemeister, Training Teacher, Principal Primary School; Irene Ferguson, Assistant Primary Teacher; Minnie J. Fryar, Librarian; Jennie Hopper, Clerical Assistant; Richard Tierney, Engineer and Janitor; James C. Roe, Assistant Janitor; James M. Evans, Treasurer Board of Trustees; K. R. Ward, Secretary Board of Trustees.
There are three departments; first is the Normal, in which there are five courses of study. Second, the Preparatory, in which the classes are designed to lead up to the entrance into the Normal, covering one year's work; third, in the Model School which is an adjunct to the Normal; here the students are trained in the art of teaching in theory and in practice. In addition to promoting the mental development of their students the Faculty have given a prominent place tothe department of physical training, three terms in which are compulsory in every student unless excused under medical authority; the object of this course besides the personal health and development of the students is to furnish them with a system of school gymnastics, in view of their probable future work in the public schools of our country. It is the purpose to build a larger and more modern gymnasium. Graduates from the southern Illinois State Normal University are scattered from the Atlantic to the Pacific coast, from the Canadian Line to the Gulf, some are in Mexico and Central America and at least one in the far-off land of Egypt; many are engaged in teaching as professors in colleges, principals of high schools and as superintendents; some are ministers, lawyers, doctors and the University is well represented in the walks of commerce and finance. In whatever sphere of usefulness they are finding opportunity, one and all reflect the utmost credit upon the teaching and training of their Alma Mater.
The new Regent, Dr. Everest, has been here but two years and came with a record of distinction from Garfield University, Kansas; before being there he was for five years President of Butler University in Indiana. He is by birth a native of New York and has been engaged in educational work throughout his whole career. His own collegiate training was; gained at Oberlin College, Ohio, whence he graduated as M. A. and more recently, Eureka College, Ills., conferred upon him the degree of L. L. D. Under his experienced direction several new features have been added to the work of the University which have already showed their value in amplifying the field of its operations and yielding abundant results.
Extracted 24 Dec 2016 by Norma Hass from Historical and Descriptive Review of Illinois, Volume 1, pages 172-177.
Jackson County ILGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time