1912 History of Southern Illinois
Volume II

WILLIAM W. WILEY. [Page 771]
The life of William W. Wiley of Anna, Illinois, carries a lesson for the youth of today who feels that he has been handicapped in his struggle to win success in the business field or a place of prominence among his fellows. Mr. Wiley, at the very outset of life, before he had left boyhood, sustained a misfortune under which one of less sterner makeup would have given up, totally discouraged, but his has been the nature to overcome his affliction and to fight his way steadily forward, until today he holds a prominent place in the city's business life and no man in his community enjoys to a greater extent the respect and esteem of his fellow-townsmen. Mr. Wiley was born at Jonesboro, Illinois, October 22, 1851, and is a descendant on his mother's side, of Winstead Davie, the founder of the city of Anna, and a grandson of the well-remembered and much-beloved lady in whose honor the city was named.

Abel Wiley, the paternal grandfather of William W., was born in the state of Maryland, and was there married to Rebecca Richardson. He died near the city of Anna in 1867.

Ben L. Wiley, son of Abel, was born in 1821, in Jefferson county, Ohio and as a youth was engaged in carpentry and the grist milling business with his father, subsequently engaging in school-teaching. At the outbreak of the Mexican war he became a soldier in the United States army, but the war was nearly ended when he reached Santa Pe, and his principal service was with the commissary department. In 1845 he located in Vienna, Johnson county, Illinois, and subsequently settled in Jonesboro, from whence he enlisted in the Civil war in 1861, and served as lieutenant-colonel of the Fifth Illinois Cavalry until 1863, when he was transferred to the provost-marshal's office at Cairo, remaining there until the close of the war. His death occurred in Jackson county, Illinois, in March, 1890. In 1850, Mr. Wiley was married to Miss Emily Davie, who was born in Jonesboro in 1830, the daughter of Winstead and Anna (Willard) Davie. Winstead Davie was born in 1797, in Rowland county, North Carolina, from whence he removed in his youth to Tennessee, and came from the latter state to Jonesboro, Illinois, in 1818 or 1819. Winstead Davie had the misfortune to be a cripple from birth and was compelled to use crutches, but in spite of this became a very successful business man and was well known to the milling trade of this section, having moved his business from Jonesboro to Anna in 1858. A merchant by occupation Winstead Davie brought a stock of bankrupt goods from Tennessee, disposed of them here and returned the money to the creditors. He rose to a place of prominence in Union county and was elected to all the county offices with the exception of that of sheriff, and for some years taught school in a room in the Court House. He followed the general merchandise business in Jonesboro and Anna until six or seven years prior to his death, which occurred in the former city, in July, 1885. The city of Anna, which was named after his wife and was formerly known as Jonesboro Station, was laid out in lots by Mr. Davie. Anna (Willard) Davie was born in Vermont in 1809, and died in December, 1880, at Jonesboro, and was the mother of these children: Daniel, who is eighty-five years of age and a resident of Jonesboro; Emily, who married Mr. Wiley; Mrs. Mary Perrine, who lives at Anna and is seventy-three years of age; Mrs. Nannie Brown, sixty-seven years old, who also lives at Anna; and Mrs. Walton, who met her death in a railroad accident in 1907.

William W. Wiley attended the public schools until he was eleven years of age, at which time he lost his eyesight. During the next five years he attended the Jacksonville Institution for the Blind, where he learned the trade of broommaking. He then returned to a farm near Makanda, where for ten years he continued making brooms, and eventually came to Anna where he established himself in a little business, keeping candy, tobacco and cigars to sell while he still occupied himself with broommaking. His business gradually grew to include school supplies, and after ten years he was able .to give up broommaking and give his whole attention to his store, which has subsequently become one of the largest bookstores here and does a large business. During the thirty years that Mr. Wiley has been a merchant here he has gained the esteem and respect of all who know him. A cheerful, industrious worker, he has never allowed himself to be discouraged, and the success that has attended his efforts is but a just reward for his years of faithful endeavor.

Mr. Wiley was married (first) in 1881, to Mrs. Mary Greer Glascow, who was born in Jonesboro in 1852 and died in 1895, having been the mother of these children: W. Davie, who married Floy Halstead, is engaged in business with his father, and has one child, Helen; and Bertha, who lives at home with her father. Mr. Wiley's second marriage was to Miss Helen Short, a native of Kansas, who was born in 1858, and died at Anna in 1907, there being no issue. Mr. Wiley is a consistent member of the Presbyterian church and takes a great interest in its work. His kindly and genial manners have made him very popular with the people of his community, and he has hosts of friends throughout the city.
T. LEE AGNEW, A. B., M. D. [Page 780]
One of the leading members of the Southern Illinois medical profession, who has held many positions of trust and has discharged the duties that have been delegated to him in a manner calculated to win and maintain the confidence and esteem of his entire community, is T. Lee Agnew, A. B., M. D., president of the Union County Medical Society, whose field of practice since 1900 has been the city of Anna. Dr. Agnew was born at Makanda, Jackson county, Illinois, in 1871, and is a son of Dr. Frank M. and Harriet E. (Elmore) Agnew. Dr. Agnew’s father, who is the oldest practicing physician in Jackson county, was born in Ohio, in 1840, and his mother in Tennessee in 1846, and both are now living in the town of Makanda, whence they came as young people.

T. Lee Agnew attended the public schools of Jackson county, after leaving which he attended Ewing College for three years in Franklin county. In 1888 he went to Jackson, Tennessee, and entered the Southwestern Baptist University, from which he was graduated in 1892 with the degree of A. B., having been a member of the Alpha Theta Chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity. While at Ewing College he was phytogian, and at Jackson was a member of the Appolonian Literary Society, winning the gold medal for oratory. Although greatly interested in his studies, Dr. Agnew did not neglect his physical needs, and was one of the best shortstops and pitchers that the Jackson baseball team ever had. In 1892 he entered Marion Sims College of Medicine, at St. Louis, which is now connected with the St. Louis University, and he was graduated therefrom in 1895 with the degree of M. D., having taken a special course in internal medicines. During the next five years he was engaged in practice with his father at Makanda, and he then came to Anna, which he has since made his home, and where he has built up an extensive practice. Dr. Agnew is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the Modern Woodmen, of which he is medical examiner, as he is also of the Aetna Life Insurance Company, the Bankers Life Assurance Company of Des Moines, Iowa; the Northwestern Life Assurance Company, the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Company, the Travelers Life Insurance Company and the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company. He is president of the Union County Medical Society, of which he was secretary for four years and one of the reorganizers after it had been dissolved, and is connected with the state and national bodies. As a member of the board of health, Dr. Agnew successfully handled several smallpox epidemics, and his labors here in every way have been conducive to the public welfare. His politics are those of the Democratic party, but he has not found time from his professional duties to enter the public field as an active participant, although he is deeply interested in all that pertains to the progress and development of his section.

January 18, 1899, Dr. Agnew was married to Miss Edna E. Ellington, who was born in Jackson, Tennessee, at which place he met her as a schoolmate. They are consistent members of the First Baptist Church, in which he has been a deacon for some years, and he was for a long period associated with Sunday school work, acting as teacher, secretary and superintendent. A man of scholarly tastes and able to throw light on almost any subject connected with his profession, yet drawing from a fund of rich experience and ripened knowledge, Dr. Agnew is also a man of rare sympathy, great kindness of heart and magnetic personality. Possessing a fine presence, a cheerful manner and an invigorating voice, he is destined for great things in the happy future that stretches before him, as a reward for his years of faithful, painstaking preparation for the noblest work in which a man can engage.
CHARLES A. C. PARKER, M. D. [Page 781]
In the country around Dongola, no figure is so welcome as is that of Dr. Charles A. C. Parker. Beginning his life as a young man in the service of the public as a school teacher, he saved his small monthly stipend in order that he might continue to give his services to his fellow men, as their physician. Dr. Parker has been a practicing physician for nineteen years, and in spite of having spent only four of these in Dongola, he is loved as loyally as though he had spent all of his life among the people of this section.

Charles A. C. Parker was born on the 7th of September, 1863, in Pocahontas, Tennessee. He was the son of Rev. I. A. J. Parker and Jane J. (Clary) Parker. The father is one of the oldest ministers of the Christian church in the state of Illinois, his years of service being over two score. When Dr. Parker was a baby of two years the family left Tennessee, emigrating to Massac county, Illinois and settling in the little town of Metropolis. Soon afterward they again moved this time to Johnson county, near Buncombe. The parents now reside in Vienna, where they are revered for the beauty of character which is shown so clearly in their daily lives. They are the parents of eight children, Dr. C. A. C.; Lucas, who is a printer and undertaker at Vienna; Gus, living in Larned, Kansas; Lillie, staying on the old home place; Willis, or better, Rev. W. E. Parker, at present a student at Harvard University; Rev. Beverly P. the well loved Christian minister at Roselle, Kansas; Ethel, now Mrs. Marbury of Leverett, Illinois: Myrtle, the wife of the Rev. Sears of Maroa, Illinois.

Dr. Parker was educated in the common schools of Johnson county, and when he was no more than a school boy himself, at the age of seventeen, he began teaching. He taught eight terms in all; five terms in Union county, three in Johnson and four in Moscow. His success as a school teacher was marked. He had the gift of sympathy and understanding, and children gravitated to him naturally, though in his schools everyone knew they dare not misbehave, for his rule though tender was firm. He now studied medicine under Dr. Dick of Union county for one year and then in 1890 his great desire was fulfilled and he entered the doors of the Marion Sims Medical College as a student. On the 25th of April, 1892 he was graduated and immediately began the practice of his profession. The first year he spent at Mt. Pleasant and then located near Cypress where he remained from 1893 to 1906. During this year he moved to Campbell Hill in Jackson county, Illinois, where he remained for the next two years. In the spring of 1908 he came to Dongola, and with these years of experience behind him he has been able to make himself indispensable to the people of this section. His practice is very large, and much scattered, so that sometimes this faithful practitioner is forced to drive sixteen miles or so to cure a cold. It is worth while, for no where is there a class of men who do a greater amount of good than the country doctor, and no where can one win a more true and loyal set of friends than in just such work. In accordance with his doctrine of brotherly love, he is a firm believer in the good of fraternalism. He is a member of the Masonic order of Dongola, is a Modern Woodman of America, belongs to the Modern Brotherhood of America and to the Royal Neighbors.

His affiliation in religious matters is with the Baptist church, where he is a regular attendant. In 1881 he was married to Mary A. Henard. the daughter of Francis M. and Lucretia A. (Bridges) Henard. They have five children, three of whom are married and have families of their own. Marie C. is Mrs. Hinkle and the mother of two children. Loren and Leland. Charles M. is a railroad conductor and lives at Salem, Illinois, with his two sons James and Jack, and his wife, who was Ina Bridges. Eva E., who married W. 0. Holshouser lives at Cypress, with her family of four children, Wanda, Hazel, Paul and Joseph. The two youngest, Mary Edith and Zillah are still at home.

Dr. C. A. C. Parker is interested in things outside of his profession, which is rather rare for scientific men. He is vice-president and stockholder of the new First National Bank of Dongola, which opened for business on the 30th of September, 1911. He is also the owner of a brick business block and a fine residence in Dongola.

Dr. Parker must have received his tendency to battle with disease from his long line of fighting ancestors. His father was a soldier all through the Civil war, fighting under Colonel Moss on the Union side. The grandfather of the doctor, Aaron Parker also fought during the Civil war and died of chronic dysentery during this period, so the doctor comes naturally by his fighting propensities.
Nearly a quarter of a century spent in breeding strawberries covers the business career of William Walter Thomas, of Anna, Illinois, who, from a small and humble beginning has built up one of the largest enterprises of its kind in the country, an industry to the development of which he has given some of the best years of his life and in which he has had remarkable success. Mr. Thomas has not confined himself to his breeding interests alone, for he has always identified himself with movements of a nature calculated to develop and enlarge the business activities of Anna, but he takes special pride in the work which he chose as the medium through which to gain a position among the leading men of his section, and it has been through individual ideas and original experiments that the Thomas Pure-bred plants have reached their perfection. Mr. Thomas is a product of Union county, and was born in 1871, a son of James Thomas, a native of England, one of the earliest fruit growers of Southern Illinois.

Mr. Thomas attended the district schools of Union county, and from earliest boyhood has made his own way in the world. At the age of eighteen years he established himself in a nursery and fruit-growing business, but gave up the former when he became interested in the growing of strawberry plants, and year by year this industry has grown until now the Thomas Pure-bred plants have a reputation that extends all over the country. After long and extended study as to what was the most perfect soil in which to grow his plants, what conditions suited them best in climate and what were the hardiest and most productive varieties, he began to experiment with the different plants, and he has succeeded in developing a product that it would be hard to better, either in vigor, stamina, excellence of quality or amount of production. It is one of Mr. Thomas's chief sources of pride that the same customers purchase his goods year after year, and he also considers that a pleased customer is the best advertisement that he can secure for his goods. The growth of his business has been sure and steady, rather than phenomenally rapid, but the growth has been constantly increasing, and one of the most important features of it is that it has been caused as much by the honest and above-board dealings of the firm as by the excellence of the article Mr. Thomas has to sell. He is president of the Jonesboro Store Company, at Jonesboro, Union county, and with a business associate owns and operates 200 acres of land at Makanda, which are devoted to apples, peaches and pears. This is in addition to his plant business.

Mr. Thomas has been active in political matters, and at present is serving as chairman of the Republican County and Congressional Committees. Fraternally, he is connected with Lodge No. 520, of Free and Accepted Masons, of which he has been master several times, is connected with the Royal Arch Chapter, and is also affiliated with the Eastern Star, of which Mrs. Thomas is also a member. They are associated in the work of the Presbyterian church, and are well and favorably known in church and charitable work.

In 1890 Mr. Thomas was married to Clola McGuire, who was born in Jackson county, Illinois, in 1871, and two children have been born to this union: Edna, a student of Belmont College, Nashville, Tennessee, who now resides at home and is twenty years of age; and James William, sixteen years old, who is attending college at Lebanon, Tennessee.
EZRA B. PELLETT. [Page 794]
One of Murphysboro's old and honored citizens, who has been connected with this city's business interests for nearly a half a century, during which time he has established an enviable reputation as a man of integrity and probity, is Ezra B. Pellett, a veteran of the Civil war and a man who well merits the esteem and confidence in which he is held by the citizens of his community. Mr. Pellett was born June 7, 1839, in Pike county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Calvin and Eunice Pellett, the former of whom was for many years connected with the agricultural and lumber interests of the Keystone state.

Mr. Pellett received a public school education, and was reared to the life of an agriculturist, following farming until he was twenty-two years of age. He then became a clerk in a general store in his native state, but in 1865 came to Murphysboro to assist in surveying land for the Mount Carbon Coal and Railway Company, helping in the whole survey to Grand Tower. On completing this enterprise he established himself in the merchandise business at Murphysboro, July 1, 1865, continuing in the same until 1882. In 1865 he was appointed postmaster, without solicitation upon his part, the salary connected with this office at that time being fourteen dollars per month. He served very efficiently in that capacity for eight years and five months, and then became part owner of a mine at DeSoto, but in 1900, after it had been partially destroyed by fire, he disposed of his interests and went to Thebes, Illinois, to assist his son, William S. Pellett, who was engaged in the drug business there. William S. Pellett was born in Murphysboro, August 19, 1866, and received his education in the public schools, after leaving which he became a clerk in a drug store and later purchased an establishment of his own. In 1892 he located at Thebes, where he accumulated quite a property, and served as trustee of the village of Thebes and as city clerk and assistant coroner of Alexander county, and he died in that village September 27, 1906. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias and was connected religiously with the Presbyterian church. His father is now engaged in settling up the affairs of his estate.

On May 24, 1864, Ezra B. Pellett was united in marriage with Miss Mary A. Lord, who was born in Honesdale, Wayne county, Pennsylvania, daughter of Solomon Z. Lord, who was connected with the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company as collector for fifty-five years. Mr. and Mrs. Pellett now have two children living: Sarah, who married Henry Trobaugh, a farmer of Jackson county, and now lives at Pontiac, Illinois, and Albert Lord, a machinist with the M. & 0. Railroad, located at Murphysboro, who married Pearl Batson, of Carbondale, and has two children, Edwin and Russell.

Mr. Pellett is a stanch Republican in political matters, and has served as alderman of Murphysboro for three terms. Fraternally he is connected with the Masonic order, being past high priest of Royal Arch Chapter, No. 164, and past master and secretary of his lodge. He is well known in religious circles, and serves as trustee and treasurer of the First Presbyterian church. In August, 1862, Mr. Pellett enlisted for service in the Union army, as a member of Company I, Twenty-fourth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was with that regiment until it was mustered out of the service, participating in numerous battles, among which were Antietam and South Mountain. He had an excellent war record, and his record as a citizen has been equally high. His long business career in this city is without a blemish, and his children may be proud of the good name he has established and handed down to them.
A resident of Carbondale during the last thirty years, and for twenty-eight years of that period one of the city's active, enterprising and progressive merchants, Edward K. Porter, a leading druggist in this section, has secured a firm footing in the regard and good opinion of the business world of Southern Illinois. And, as he has also taken an earnest interest and a serviceable part in the public affairs of the city and county, he has risen to corresponding esteem among the people generally as a wide-awake, progressive and public-spirited citizen.

Mr. Porter was born at Salem, Illinois, on January 2, 1860, and is a son of Alfred and Lucy (Kininger) Porter. The father was an industrious, skillful and prosperous shoemaker for a number of years, then turned his attention to farming with good results. He had adaptability to circumstances and resourcefulness in meeting requirements, however unexpected they were, and so made all his efforts in whatever occupied his intention tell to his advantage and steady advancement.

The son secured a common and high school education, which he extended by private study and reading. He attended the pharmacy department of the State University at Champaign, from which he was graduated in 1885, legally qualified to practice pharmacy in all its departments. Prior to this time, however, he had served as clerk in a drug store in Moberly, Missouri, during the year 1879. He was also in the same capacity in Carbondale from 1881 to 1893, except while attending the University. In this way he obtained both practical and theoretical knowledge of the business, and was well qualified to conduct it in the most acceptable and capable manner when he became possessed of a drug store of his own in 1893.

In that year he bought an interest in the store of P. A. Prickett, and the name of the firm conducting the establishment became Prickett & Porter. The partnership lasted until 1902, when Mr. Porter purchased Mr. Prickett’s interest in the business and became its sole proprietor. Since then he has carried it on alone, keeping pace with the progress of events and the course of trade, meeting all the requirements of the community in his line, and winning a steadily increasing volume of patronage. He handles drugs, paints, oil, wallpapers, and all kindred commodities, and keeps his stock in each up to the utmost demand and filled with the latest productions of the factories. The prescription department is a specialty to which he gives his personal attention, and in this he uses only the best and purest drugs, and compounds them with the greatest care and highest skill exhaustive study and long practice can give him.

Mr. Porter has given close attention to the public affairs of the city, county and state of his residence, and rendered the people valuable service in the performance of public duties, especially in connection with the cause of public education. He has for years been a member of the city school board, and under the administration of Governor Tanner was treasurer of the Southern Illinois Normal University. When Governor Deneen first became the state executive, Mr. Porter was again appointed to this important position, and he still retains it. His second accession to it was in 1905, and his incumbency has been unbroken since that year.

It is an easy inference from his' repeated appointment to this office that Mr. Porter is a loyal Republican. But while he is always active and effective in the service of his party, he does not let his partnership interfere with his business or overbear his sense of duty to his community. In reference to these interests he is non-partisan, but none the less energetic, enterprising and progressive. No move for the development or improvement of Carbondale or Jackson county goes without his effective aid, and in contributing his help he is found to be both wise in counsel and intelligent, practical and zealous in action.

On the 26th of May, 1886, Mr. Porter was united in marriage with Miss Nellie Davis, of Carbondale, a daughter of John and Martha Davis, esteemed residents of this city, from which the father covered an extensive territory as a traveling salesman. Mr. and Mrs. Porter had two children: Margaret, who is the wife of Harlan P. Curd, of Amarillo, Texas, auditor of the Santa Fe Railroad; and Evelyn, who is living at home with her father and is a student in the Southern Illinois Normal University. Mrs. Porter ended a very useful and appreciated life on April 28, 1899. For years she had been an ardent and faithful worker in her church, the Methodist Episcopal, and in the activities of the Women's Club, of which she was a charter member. Her hand was ready and open, too, in connection with all worthy charitable work in the community. Mr. Porter is a member of the official Board of Methodist Episcopal church, and fraternally he is a Freemason. In this order he gave his lodge valued service for years as secretary.
HENRY H. JENKINS, [Page 807]
secretary and treasurer of the Murphysboro Paving Brick Company, one of the largest industries of Jackson county, has been connected with the business interests of Murphysboro for a number of years, and has become a recognized power in the commercial world. Possessing business ability of more than ordinary capacity, he has assisted materially in developing the resources of Murphysboro, and as a public-spirited citizen of much civic pride has lent his influence to movements calculated to be of benefit to his community. Mr. Jenkins was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, April 28, 1874, and is a son of Thomas C. and Ann (Williams) Jenkins.

Thomas C. Jenkins, who for more than twenty years was closely associated with the coal mining industry in this section, acted as a general foreman and contractor, and developed properties all over the state, among which were the Big Muddy Coal and Iron Company, the Garkite Coal Company, and other large coal mines in Jackson and Williamson counties. Henry H. Jenkins received a public school education, and under his father was initiated into the developing of coal mines as a youth. At the age of nineteen years he entered the company stores as a clerk, and also spent some time in the West, but in 1896 returned to Murphysboro, and with Peter Schneider opened a plumbing establishment under the firm name of Schneider & Jenkins. Associating himself with William H. Hill, a well-known contractor of East St. Louis, Mr. Jenkins next laid the first street paving and a part of the first sewerage system in Murphysboro, Carbondale and Johnson City, and the water works in the first-named city, and for some time was also identified with the diamond drilling business. He and Mr. Hill then formed a partnership under the firm style of Jenkins & Hill Company, street paving contractors, and in January, 1909, the Murphysboro Paving Brick Company was organized, with Mr. Hill president, and Mr. Jenkins secretary and treasurer. This firm has grown rapidly and now gives employment to one hundred and twenty-five persons, the plant covering twenty-five acres of ground. Approximately eleven million finest-grade paving bricks, of all sizes and weights, are manufactured yearly and are shipped to the various large cities for distribution, although the bulk of the business is done in the towns of southern Illinois, where the Murphysboro product is used almost exclusively.

Mr. Jenkins was married September 9, 1895, to Miss Minnie Schneider, and they have had two children: Lillian Maurice and Anna May. Fraternally Mr. Jenkins is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Elks. In all that pertains to the welfare of Murphysboro in any way Mr. Jenkins has shown an active interest, whether it be in the direction of education, religion or social improvement, and he has proven that the confidence and esteem in which he is held in this city have not been misplaced.
A new but valued addition to the legal fraternity in Carbondale, having been a resident of the city less than three years at the time of this writing (1911), Charles Edward Feirich has already made his mark in large and enduring phrase in professional circles in this part of Illinois, and won the regard of the people as a man and a citizen. He has been unostentatious in his course, and whatever he has achieved in the way of reputation in general and standing at the bar is based on demonstrated merit, substantial attainments, creditable work and genuine worth.

Mr. Feirich is a native of Buffalo, New York, where his life began on November 1, 1886. In that city his father, Charles A. Feirich, is a prosperous carpenter, and during the minority of the son maintained his wife, whose maiden name was Anna Kreinbring, and their offspring in modest but real comfort, and gave his children all the educational advantages he was able to provide for them, doing all in his power to open to them the way to a better condition in life than he enjoyed himself.

One of the children at least, Charles Edward, the only one of whom we have knowledge, responded to the parental solicitude with every power at his command, determined that no lack of effort on his part should defeat his father's designs and ardent desires. He received a high school education in Buffalo, which he supplemented with more advanced instruction at the Metropolitan Select School, and throughout his course from the beginning strained every nerve to make the best use of his opportunities. After completing his academic training he studied law in the law department of Lake Forest University, and was admitted to the bar in December, 1904. With the world open to him for choice of a place in which to begin his practice and build his professional career, he deemed the great metropolis and commercial center of the Middle West the most attractive, and located "in among its throngs of men." He soon afterward became connected with the legal department of the Illinois Central Railroad as secretary to the road's chief counsel, Judge J. M. Dickinson.

In this excellent field of operation and school of broad practical development Mr. Feirich remained five years, gathering light from the great luminaries of the legal firmament with whom he came in contact from day to day, all the while extending his knowledge of the law and of human nature, and improving his opportunities for making acquaintances among men of large mold, superior endowments and comprehensive attainments. His advantages were exceptional, it is true, but they would have been of no benefit to him if he had not been of the caliber to fully appreciate and properly use them, and assimilate the mental and professional pabulum they furnished in such abundance and high quality.

In 1909 he moved to Carbondale, eager to stand on his own footing and work his own way forward without the assistance of adventitious circumstances, and in July of the following year formed a partnership with W. W. Barr, under the firm name of Barr & Feirich. Mr. Feirich is the local attorney for the Illinois Central Railroad Company, in Jackson county, and the firm represents a number of banks, corporations and other fiscal, commercial and industrial institutions. It stands in the front rank at the bar in Southern Illinois, and its members have amply shown that it belongs there.

On June 11, 1907, Mr. Feirich was united in marriage with Miss Jennie Cottrill, of Buffalo, New York, a daughter of John J. Cottrill, one of the leading teaming contractors in that great and striding city on the lakes. Two children have been born in the Feirich household, both sons, Charles Cottrill and John Kenneth. The parents belong to the Methodist Episcopal church, and the father is a member of the board of stewards of the congregation in which they hold membership. In fraternal circles he is allied with the Masonic order and the Order of Odd Fellows. He is as zealous in his attention to the interests of these fraternities as his professional duties will allow him to be, fully appreciating their value as moral and social agencies in the community, and his membership is highly appreciated in each.
The bench and bar of Illinois have in several generations been adorned with names enjoying world-wide distinction, and a worthy representative of the profession is Judge William Wills Barr, of Carbondale, whose native ability and experience have fitted him for the various positions he has filled, in which he has met grave questions with good judgment and general satisfaction. Judge Barr is a native of Pennsylvania, his birth having occurred in Center county May 8, 1845. His parents were James S. and Charlotte B. (Stage) Barr, also natives of Center county, Pennsylvania. The father was a man of ability and culture, and his useful life was devoted to teaching, the subject benefitting greatly from his enlightened tutelage. Judge Barr passed the usual number of terms behind a desk in the village school room, and having come to a conclusion as to the profession he meant to follow he matriculated in the Bloomington (Indiana) Law School, from which institution he was graduated in 1867, at the age of about twenty-two years. He had first begun his legal studies the year previous in the office and under the direction of Hon. F. M. Youngblood, of Benton, Franklin county, Illinois. In April, 1867, he was admitted to the bar and opened an office in Benton, where he met the usual fortunes of ambitious young barristers, the dull days being followed by the acquirement of prestige and practice. He continued to reside in Benton for almost a decade and in 1876 removed to Carbondale, where he has ever since made his home. His success has been the logical outcome of his excellent equipment, which gained him early recognition as one of the ablest of Jackson county lawyers. He has a good legal mind and a strong power in marshalling and presenting significant facts so as to bring conviction. His good standing as a lawyer has been stamped with approval by his elevation to the bench, his eight years' service as judge of the county court of Jackson county, being bounded by the years 1886 and 1894. In the meantime he administered the law with a fair and impartial hand and won highest commendation of the bar, regardless of political affiliation.

Judge Barr is one of the local standard bearers of the Democratic party and from his earliest years he has been loyal to its articles of faith, having pored over the pages of its history and found inspirations in its high traditons. A man of public spirit of the type which has ever found expression in deeds rather than words, it is small wonder that he should have been selected for several positons of public trust. In 1866 he was appointed master of chancery of Franklin county, for a term of two years, and in 1870 was elected to., represent his district in the twenty-seventh general assembly of Illinois. In 1872 he was elected state's attorney of Franklin county, filling that positon for four years, and in 1886 he was elected county judge of Jackson county, in which office he was continued by reelection until 1894.

Almost since the attainment of his majority Judge Barr has been a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he has ever exemplified in his own living those ideals of moral and social justice and brotherly love for which the order stands. He is also associated with the Ancient Order of United "Workmen and has been grand dictator of the Knights of Honor for the state of Illinois.

On October 15, 1870, he was married at Tamaroa, Perry county, to Miss Alice G. Breinzer, a native of Philadelphia, and their idealty happy union has been blessed by the birth of two daughters, Jessie G. and Bertha A. Their home is a hospitable one and the members of their household enjoy an enviable position in social circles where true worth and intelligence are received as the passports into good society. The judge is a very popular citizen, his honorable life and commendable characteristics, combined with a genial, kindly manner, having won him a host of warm friends.
EDGAR B. DICK, M. D. [Page 821]
Starting out in life with his sole capital the heritage of a good name, supplemented with courage to endure, strength to labor and patience to wait, Dr. Edgar B. Dick, of Christopher, Illinois, has fought his way to a place among the eminent medical men of his part of the state, and as a representative of the selfmade man presents in his career an example to the younger generation which it would do well to emulate. Dr. Dick, who was born September 12, 1874, had the good fortune to be born of worthy parents, his father, James F. Dick, being an early physician of Union county, Illinois, and a native of Galloway county, Kentucky, and his mother a member of an honorable Southern family. James Dick, his paternal grandfather, was a son of Irish parents, and was born in Pennsylvania, from whence he removed to Ohio and later to Kentucky, engaging there in agricultural pursuits until his death, at the age of eighty-five years. On the maternal side, Dr. Dick's grandfather was David Furchase, also of Irish parentage, who was born in Kentucky and spent his life in that state, dying at the age of ninety years. Dr. James F. Dick was born in 1837, in Galloway county, Kentucky, and there early took up the practice of medicine, which he followed from the time he came to Union county, Illinois, in 1875, until his death, December 5, 1910. A well-known physician, he became influential in the ranks of the Democratic party, and at one time was a candidate for the office of coroner of Franklin county. His religious belief was that of the Episcopal church, while his wife, a native of Graves county, Kentucky, died in the faith of the Presbyterian church in 1881.

Edgar B. Dick secured his early educational training in the common schools of Union county, which he left at the age of seventeen years to work as a telegrapher. After spending seven years in the employ of the Illinois Central Railroad Company, in the meantime saving his wages carefully, he started studying medicine, and when he had been under his father's preceptorship for one year, entered Marion Sims Medical College, St. Louis, and was graduated therefrom in 1896. He began the practice of his profession in the northeastern part of Union county, where he continued for seven years, and then came to Christopher, which has since been his field. He has been remarkably successful in his practice, which is now conceded to be the largest in Christopher, is ranked among the most skillful and efficient surgeons of his county, and has earned the respect and gratitude of his patients. A thoughtful, studious man, whose absorption in his profession is remarkable, he is also a man of broad outlook on life, and is thoroughly versed not only in his profession, but also upon all matters of general interest to his community. He is a valued member of the Franklin County and Illinois State Medical Societies and of Goode Lodge, No. 704, A. F. & A. M. Dr. Dick has manifested his belief in the future prosperity of Christopher by investing in valuable real estate here, and is the owner of a fine home.

In 1892 he was married to Blanche Maude Rowan, daughter of Samuel and Catherine Rowan, early settlers of Jackson county. Mr. Rowan, who was an agriculturist and a veteran of the Civil war, was for some years prominent in Republican politics, and died in 1891. Five children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Dick, namely: Hannau, Ohmann and Gaston, all of whom are attending school; and Aired and Neoma Marcella, at home. The family is conected with the Christian church.

Templates in Time