- Ava, Bradley Township
- Boskydell, Makanda Township
- Bradley, Bradley Township
- Brownsville - "By 1814, Conrad Will, a very noted pioneer, was making salt on the Big Muddy river and had laid out the town of Brownsville at the salt works. This became the future capital of Jackson county and here was chartered a branch bank as early as 1820." History of Southern Illinois, Volume 1, Page 172.
- Campbell Hill, Bradley Township
- Carbondale, Carbondale Township, south edge is in Makanda Township, west edge is in Murphysboro Township
- Cora, Degognia Township
- Crain, Kincaid Township
- Degognia, Degognia Township
- DeSoto, DeSoto Township
- Dowell, Elk Township
- Dry Hill, Kincaid Township
- Elkville, Elk Township
- Eltham (historical), Pomona Township
- Etherton, Pomona Township
- Evergreen Terrace, Carbondale Township
- Fountain Bluff
- Glenn, Kincaid Township
- Gorham, Sand Ridge Township
- Grand Tower, Grand Tower Township
- Grange Hall, Somerset Township
- Grimsby, Sand Ridge Township
- Grubbs, Vergennes Township
- Hallidayboro, Elk Township
- Harrison, Somerset Township
- Howardton, Grand Tower Township
- Jacob, Fountain Bluff Township
- Jones Ridge, Degognia Township
- Leo Rock
- Makanda, Makanda Township
- Mount Carbon, Murphysboro Township
- Murphysboro, Murphysboro Township, north quarter is in Somerset Township
- Neunert, Fountain Bluff Township
- Oraville, Ora Township
- Poplar Ridge, Murphysboro Township
- Pomona, Pomona Township
- Raddle, Fountain Bluff Township
- Reeds Station, DeSoto Township
- Sand Ridge, Sand Ridge Township
- Sato, Ora Township
- Southern Hills, Carbondale Township
- Stone Fort, Makanda Township
- Texas Junction, Murphysboro Township
- Vergennes, Vergennes Township
- Wagners Landing
- Ward, DeSoto Township
- West Point, Bradley Township
Big Beaucoup creek, rises in the southeastern part of
Washington county, and running a southwardly course through Randolph and
Jackson counties, about 40 miles, falls into Big Muddy river, in section 35,
of township 7 south, in range 2, west of the third principal meridian. A
toll bridge has lately been built across this stream, where the state road
leading from Shawneetown to Kaskaskia crosses it.
river, (Riviere au Vase, ou Vaseux, discovered and named by the
French,) a considerable stream in the southwestern part of the state. It
rises between the waters of the Kaskaskia and Little Wabash, and running a
southern and southwestern course through the counties of Jefferson,
Franklin, Jackson and Union, empties into the Mississippi, between sections
1 and 12, of township 11 south, in range 4, west of the 3d principal
meridian, about 50 miles above the mouth of the Ohio. Being fed by Little
Muddy river, Beacoup[sic] creek, and several other smaller streams, it is
rendered boatable for 40 or 50 miles through a fine prairie country. About
25 miles from its mouth, stone coal of a good quality, is found in a
sufficient quantity to supply the surrounding country, and afford a surplus
for exportation. Native copper has also been found in detached masses on the
banks of this stream.
Brownsville, a flourishing
post town, and the seat of justice of Jackson county, incorporated in 1819,
under the direction of five trustees. It is situated on Big Muddy river, on
section 2, of township 9 south, in range 3, west of the third principal
meridian. The inhabitants are principally German. About 4 miles above this
place, on the east bank of Muddy, is a saline building stone of the best
quality also exists in abundance. Brownsville is in latitude 37 degrees 45'
north, 84 miles, somewhat west of south, from Vandalia.
creek, a small stream of Jackson and Union counties. It runs a
northwest course, and empties into Big Muddy river, in section 11, of
township 10 south, in range 3, west of the third principal meridian.
Colombo creek, runs a southeast course through the
northwestern part of Jackson county, and empties into Big Beaucoup creek.
Little Beaucoup creek, a small branch of Big Beaucoup,
running through Randolph and Jackson counties.
situated on the Muddy river near Brownsville, the county seat of Jackson. It
is owned, and has been leased by the state to different individuals.
Ovid, a town in Jackson county, laid out in 1820. It is
situated eight miles east of the Mississippi river, near the line which
divides Jackson and Union counties. The main road leading from America and
Golconda through Jonesborough and Brownsville, to Kaskaskia and St. Louis,
passes through this place. It is 15 miles south of Brownsville, and about
the same distance nearly north of Jonesborough. The lands in the vicinity,
are of a very good quality, and mill seats are numerous within a few miles
of the place.
Extracted from A Gazetteer of the States of Illinois and Missouri, author Lewis C. Beck, published in 1823.
Beaucoup Settlement is in Jackson county, twelve miles
northeast from Brownsville, between the Big Beaucoup creek and Big Muddy
river. The land is rich, heavily timbered, with a considerable settlement.
Big Muddy River, (called by the French who discovered
it, Riviera au Vase, or Vaseux,) a considerable stream in the southwestern
part of the state. It has four principal heads, which, rising in Washington
Jefferson, and Hamilton counties, and uniting in Jackson county, form the
main stream. They are the Beaucoup, Little Muddy, and Middle Fork. The
general course of the stream is southwest, and it is navigable some distance
above Brownsville. Below Brownsville it turns south to the county line,
makes a short bend, and enters the Mississippi near the northeastern corner
of township eleven south, in range four west of the third principal
meridian. Its bluffs generally are abrupt, the land along its borders and
branches undulating, and for most of its length well timbered. Valuable
salines exist on its banks and are worked about Brownsville, where there is
an inexhaustible bed of bituminous coal. Native copper has been found on its
banks in detached masses. It runs through a fine agricultural and grazing
Bradley's Settlement is at the head of Kincaid creek, in the
north part of Jackson county. It is a timbered region, tolerable land, and
has twenty-five or thirty families.
seat of of justice for Jackson county, is situated on the north side of Big
Muddy river, on section two, nine south, and three west of the third
principal meridian. It is twelve miles by land, and twenty-five by water
from the Mississippi, and is surrounded by hills. The Big Muddy Salines and
coal banks are near this place. The population is about twenty families.
Cedar Creek, a branch of Big Muddy river in Jackson
county, rises in Union county, and runs first north, and then a western
course, and enters Muddy river twelve miles above its mouth. This creek has
high bluffs towards its mouth, which abound with cedar. The country is
broken, timbered, well watered with springs, and contains about one hundred
families. The main settlement is six miles from Brownsville.
Columbo Creek rises in Perry county, runs a southeast course, and
enters Big Beaucoup, in Jackson county.
northeast of Brownsville, in Jackson county, near Big Beaucoup, contains
about four sections of good rolling land.
a small creek that rises in the south part of Franklin county, passes into
Jackson, and enters the Big Muddy, fifteen miles above Brownsville. The
country adjoining is level and good, and the settlement has forty or fifty
Devil's Oven is a singular promontory of
sand rock that projects into the Mississippi, in Jackson county, one mile
above the Grand Tower. It has a cave resembling the month of a mammoth oven,
to be seen from the river.
Drewry's Creek, a branch
of Crab Orchard. It rises in Union County, runs a devious course
northeasterly into Jackson county, and has a settlement of fifteen or twenty
families. The land timbered, and second rate soil.
Bluff, frequently called the "Big Hill" in Jackson county. It is a
singularly formed eminence, or rocky bluff on the Mississippi, six miles
above the mouth of the Big Muddy river. It is of an oval shape, eight miles
in circumference, and with an elevation of 300 feet. The western side is on
the river, and the top is broken full of sink holes, with shrubs and
mattering timber. The north side is nearly perpendicular rock, but the south
side is sloping, and ends in a fine rich tract of soi1, covered with farms.
East is an extensive and low bottom with lakes and swamps. Fine springs of
limpid water gush out from the foot of this bluff on all sides. North, and
along the bank of the Mississippi, is dry and rich alluvion with a line of
farms, known by the name of the "Settlement under the Bluff."
Gagnie, a sluggish stream that runs southwest into the
Mississippi, and forms the boundary line between Randolph and Jackson
Grand Prairie. Under this general name is
embraced the prairie country lying between the waters which fall into the
Mississippi, and those which enter the Wabash rivers. It does not consist of
one vast tract, boundless to the vision, and uninhabitable for want of
timber; but is made up of continuous tracts, with points of timber
projecting inward, and long arms of prairie extending between the creeks and
smaller streams. The southern joints of the Grand prairie are formed in the
northeastern parts of Jackson county, and extend in a northeastern course
between the streams of various widths, from one to ten or twelve miles,
through Perry, Washington, Jefferson, Marion, the eastern part of Fayette,
Effingham, through the western portion of Coles, into Champaign and Iroquois
counties, where it becomes connected with the prairies that project eastward
from the Illinois river and its tributaries. A large arm lies in Marion
county, between the waters of Crooked creek and the East fork of the
Kaskaskia river, where the Vincennes road passes through in its longest
direction. This is frequently called the Grand prairie. Much the largest
part of the Grand prairie is gently undulating; but of the southern portion
considerable tracts are flat, and of rather inferior soil. No insurmountable
obstacle exists to its future population. No portion of it is more than six
or eight miles distant from timber, and coal in abundance is found in
various parts. Those who have witnessed the changes produced upon a prairie
surface within twenty or thirty years, consider these extensive prairies as
offering no serious impediment to the future growth of the state.
Lewis's Creek, a trifling stream in Jackson county, enters
Big Muddy near the coal bank four miles east of Brownsville.
Little Muddy is one of the four heads of the Big Muddy river. It
rises in the southeastern corner of Washington county, crosses the line into
Jefferson, then into Franklin and finally into Jackson, where it enters the
parent stream on the right side, in section thirteen, eight south, one west.
A post office. It has good timber and prairie on both sides.
Marshall's Prairie, north of Cox's prairie, fourteen miles
northeast of Brownsville, in Jackson county, is rich, undulating land, and
the settlement contains a dozen families.
a coal bank on Muddy river, four miles above Brownsville, in Jackson county.
Large quantities are exported from this place down the river. Here is a
large steam saw and grist mill.
Pinus, a post office
in Jackson county, on section thirty-four, township ten south, two west,
twelve miles south-southeast from Brownsville.
Settlement lies in Union county, on the road to Brownsville, and
extends into Jackson county. It is a high, hilly, timbered tract of good
land, well watered, and has from one hundred to one hundred and fifty
Extracted from A Gazetteer of Illinois; in Three Parts, author J. M. Peck, published in 1837.